none
Will certifications help? RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have an Associates degree in Software Application Programming. I received this degree for ITT Technical Institute in 2005 and after almost 8 years of beating my head against a wall of no BS degree and no experience I am considering getting certified through Microsoft. I just have a few questions.

Will these certifications help break the no experience no BS degree barrier?

In terms of certifications I know the MTA is the starting point but there are several options to choose from as far as exams. What would be the best exam to take for a developer in my position?

Would taking multiple MTA exams help?

As far as experience goes what would be the best way to stuff my portfolio with work examples? Should I just throw together some programs or is there a better way?

Any information would be helpful.

Monday, September 9, 2013 5:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

certifications can't replace experience, but your chances to be invited to an interview are normally higher if you have some certifications in your portfolio. MTAs are a good starting point for a beginner, but most people in the industry don't know about this exam level (it is just two years old). The next level, MCTS certifications, are more recognized in the industry.

The choice for a specific certification is up to you and depends on your background on level of knowledge. To become an overview about the other certification types have a look at the learning center of Microsoft.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:05 PM
    Answerer
  • Perhaps before jumping into getting the Certification, why not consider first what is your direction in your career? In which specified field are you entering?

Whether it is Software Development or Data Center Management, you need to have the direction before you can decide further...

MTA certification is no doubt the best start but experience always count when accompanied with Certification.

Cheers.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. Milton Goh

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:52 AM

All replies

• Perhaps before jumping into getting the Certification, why not consider first what is your direction in your career? In which specified field are you entering?

Whether it is Software Development or Data Center Management, you need to have the direction before you can decide further...

MTA certification is no doubt the best start but experience always count when accompanied with Certification.

Cheers.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. Milton Goh

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:52 AM
  • Hi,

certifications can't replace experience, but your chances to be invited to an interview are normally higher if you have some certifications in your portfolio. MTAs are a good starting point for a beginner, but most people in the industry don't know about this exam level (it is just two years old). The next level, MCTS certifications, are more recognized in the industry.

The choice for a specific certification is up to you and depends on your background on level of knowledge. To become an overview about the other certification types have a look at the learning center of Microsoft.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:05 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the replies. This information has been a great help.
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:44 PM