none
How to change my userid when signing on? RRS feed

• Question

• Need your help, as I have closed my hotmail account due to a meesage I have received from Microsoft saying that the use of hotmail starting October 19, 2012 will be charged with some fees, I am trying to change my User id when signing on at the forum web site although I changed the email address but ceach time I try to log in the accepted user id is my old email address at hotmail. How can you change / modify the user id and keep the passpword the same?

Regards,

Chuck

Saturday, September 1, 2012 3:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Interesting, I don't remember receiving that e-mail. I have MS hotmail which is associated with my Live ID. I use that e-mail very rarely and obviously don't want to be charged for that.

Wondering how can I associate my gmail with my Live ID then?

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:52 AM
  • I found that same e-mail in my Hotmail Inbox. I tried to read quickly that legal document, but it's rather long. Where exactly does it say that I need to pay for Hotmail?

How should I Cancel the services?

Thanks again.

My blog

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:58 AM
  • Looks like this is a SCAM - see this

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2202663/hackers-create-bogus-microsoft-services-agreement-email-to-exploit-users

It indeed looks very much like a legitimate e-mail. Please don't click on any links in that e-mail (I did :().

My blog

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:48 PM
  • Ok, I am now a bit confused. Looks like there was indeed a message from MS and then that message was exploit by hackers.

So, I think the message I did receive was from MS, but I already marked it as Phishing Spam and it disappeared from my Inbox.

Therefore, I need to understand if indeed Hotmail is going to be a paid service (and anything else) and how can I safely change my Live Id e-mail to another e-mail (I got an error trying to do so from one of the links in that agreement).

My blog

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 4:16 PM
  • Hi Naomi,

One does not know any longer whether such legal document can be fishy or really legal. To be frank, I decided straight forward to select gmail and exported all my emails and contacts to it. But my problem is how to change my userid here in this forum as I have gone through all the different ways but did not find anything that allow me to change my user id, which was originally my email at hotmail. There is somewhere in updating your profile something related to update your email, whcih I did but when I logout and try accessing with this new email address as the user id but got rejected. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Chuck

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:49 AM
  • Looks like MS has a problem now. I've tried to change my e-mail earlier today and I tried again now and in both cases I got this error message

Use a different email address as your Microsoft account

<form action="https://account.live.com/ChangeId?ru=&fl=" id="iChangeIdForm" method="post" name="ChangeIdForm" style="line-height:19px;margin:0px;font-family:'Segoe UI', 'Segoe UI Web Regular', 'Segoe UI Symbol', 'Helvetica Neue', 'BBAlpha Sans', 'S60 Sans', Arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;">

There's a temporary problem with the service. Please try again. If you continue to get this message, try again later.

</form>

The way I got to this - searched 'Live Id' in Google, then went to existing Live Id account and from there there are many options but half of them seems to be non-functional.

My blog

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:21 AM
  • This is the service agreement:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/microsoft-services-agreement

Notice the big IF in clause 9:

9. If you pay Microsoft, the following terms apply to you

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

My Blog: http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ("6B61726C6D69747363686B65406D742E6E6574"-split"(?<=\G.{2})",19|%{[char][int]"0x$_"})

Thursday, September 13, 2012 3:10 PM
  • Start with these instructions to switch your Live ID/email: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4806.how-to-request-your-email-or-live-id-changed-on-an-msdn-or-technet-profile.aspx

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, September 14, 2012 2:32 AM
    Owner