Working Together: Live Mesh and Windows Live

General discussion

•  

For some time now, many of you have expressed interest in seeing some sort of combination of Live Mesh and other Microsoft services. In order to further explore these ideas we would like to ask you to share with us the scenario(s) that you have in mind. 

What combination(s) are you interested in, and why? Whatever your interests, whatever problem you’re trying to solve or scenario you want to enable, we’d like to hear the details – and the more specific you can be, the better.

We know you have ideas – this is the place to share them!

Thank you,

The Live Mesh Team

Monday, January 26, 2009 9:53 PM

All replies

• I think they could best be linked by being able to use the storage space and social aspects of Windows Live with the Mesh automatic syncing and the client.  For example, I would like to see all 25 GB of storage space available for use in syncing between computers.  This would allow me to keep all of my files online and synced between multiple computers.  Right now, my Documents, Pictures, and Videos folders use 98% of my Live Mesh space.  This has gone up by 4% since three weeks ago, and the only things I have added are school assignments and xkcd comics.  You would definitely need to remove the 50MB limit on files, but other than that, Sky Drive and Mesh integrating is great.

Another connection I would like to see made is linking the Mesh to the Photos service.  I would like to be able to specify a folder, or group of folders, to be loaded into the Photos section of Windows Live.  That way, whenever I edited something, or added a new photo, it would automatically be uploaded and displayed. 

I would also like to see the Office Live workspace integrated.  While the concept for the Office Live is nice, having to save it twice to keep it on your computer as well is very annoying.  If it were linked with Mesh, we would just be able to save it, and have it arrive in your default workspace.  You could also have each subfolder be a different workspace in Office Live.

The Leave Note function could arrive as a News item in your Mesh client.

That's all I can think of. Most important for me would have to be the extra space from Sky Drive.  Second would be the link to Office Live, and everything else is secondary.

Edit: After reading some of the posts after me, I think that some of those should be integrated.  For example, the OS settings and themes is nice.  Though I personally wouldn't use it.

Being able to use Windows Calendar and Mesh it with the Windows Live Calendar.

I also came up with a sort of feature that would be good.  I would like to be able to link to my remote desktop using the internet connections of the computers and not go through Live Mesh servers.  Right now, I get the same speed over my LAN as I do from work, which has a very slow connection.  I also want to be able to play audio over the connection, right now it doesn't.

• Edited by Eschaton Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:11 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:44 AM
  • I'd love to see Live Mesh disappear - i.e. the ultimate vision (in my opinion) is one seamless experience - files & settings all automatically synced to the mesh.

Imagine the following - you're out of the office when you discover that you need to work on a presentation, but you don't have your normal work computer with you. You log into your Live Desktop and your files are "just there" (even if some of them are not synced to the cloud yet, rather place holders that when clicked on cause your work machine to send the files to the cloud). When you double click on the file a Mesh office application opens and you can edit your powerpoint, in place.

Another scenario. You're at a friends house, and he's running "Windows Mesh (8)", you log in with your Live ID and get your own desktop, complete with links, theme (background etc) and common settings (window settings, browser favourites, recently opened lists, msn contacts etc. etc. ). Access to files / apps is a little slow at first (as it's over the cloud) but you are in a familiar setting with your desktop - running on another user's machine (and with the knowledge that everything is digitally encrypted so if you don't log out cleanly, no one can snoop your files).

This may sound a little far fetched (I'd love to hear some feedback) - but this seems like the logical next step to me. Instead of saving everything locally, things are synced in the cloud. The reason that services like Valve's Steam are so popular is because gamers can know that everything they own is in one place (does not appeal to all, but the masses like simplicity) hence they are moving into cloud like services, such as saving your in-progress game state to the cloud so that you can continue playing anywhere.

Imagine a Live Mesh device - like a cheap tablet PC that allows you to access the web and everything on your mesh... damn, there goes the IP :)

As for closer to home things, I'd love to see:

1. MSN integration (Right Click -> Invite to Folder, "save to mesh" for attachments, etc)
    2. Hotmail - save to mesh (for attachments), integrate contact lists for inviting people to mesh folders
    3. All Services in general - "save to mesh" / "open from mesh" (think live earth / maps, photosynths from mesh etc)
    4. Media Center integration (including extenders) - stream from mesh (I've seen companies who use extenders for their advertising billboards in their offices, this would be a great way to push content to them, would also work nicely with families sharing videos etc)

I'm sure I could think of more ideas - but the realm starts to blur between what I think the Live Mesh team should be implementing and what 3rd party developers will (or can) develop as integrated offerings (running on the mesh) or services (accessing the mesh from afar).

Exciting times ahead :)
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:11 AM
  • Eschaton said:

I think they could best be linked by being able to use the storage space and social aspects of Windows Live with the Mesh automatic syncing and the client.  For example, I would like to see all 25 GB of storage space available for use in syncing between computers.  This would allow me to keep all of my files online and synced between multiple computers.  Right now, my Documents, Pictures, and Videos folders use 98% of my Live Mesh space.  This has gone up by 4% since three weeks ago, and the only things I have added are school assignments and xkcd comics.  You would definitely need to remove the 50MB limit on files, but other than that, Sky Drive and Mesh integrating is great.

Another connection I would like to see made is linking the Mesh to the Photos service.  I would like to be able to specify a folder, or group of folders, to be loaded into the Photos section of Windows Live.  That way, whenever I edited something, or added a new photo, it would automatically be uploaded and displayed. 

I would also like to see the Office Live workspace integrated.  While the concept for the Office Live is nice, having to save it twice to keep it on your computer as well is very annoying.  If it were linked with Mesh, we would just be able to save it, and have it arrive in your default workspace.  You could also have each subfolder be a different workspace in Office Live.

The Leave Note function could arrive as a News item in your Mesh client.

That's all I can think of. Most important for me would have to be the extra space from Sky Drive.  Second would be the link to Office Live, and everything else is secondary.

I have to agree that the integration of the skydrive would be supreme. As it is now with the limit on the file sizes and method of upload / managing files on skydrive the space sits empty. But open up mesh and LOOK OUT! :)
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:37 AM
  • Ultimately I would like Live Mesh to "remember" every OS and App setting; but for now I'll settle for the Live suite; which (kinda) includes Office now yeh. So I'm not asking for much really ;)

By "remember" I mean Mesh should sync my Live apps and their settings. When I re-install, or install on a new machine, the first two things I do is install Mesh then Live Suite. It would be amazing if Mesh had sync'd my Live apps and their settings, so once Mesh was installed, not only would it bring down my files, it would also bring down my Live apps (and their settings).

Even remembering the settings would be a GREAT start! So if you made a setting change to say Messenger, then it would sync back to all the installers of Messeger.

Also at the moment I'm reluctant to add People tags to my photos or even upload them to SkyDrive as I'm sure that info will be lost when I re-install, which I do A LOT. So it would be cool if Mesh remembered the name tags, and what albums I have uploaded/sync'd to the web.  As mentioned above, Mesh should be able to access the 25GB+ SkyDrive space for (photo) syncing.

I'm REALLY excited this question has been asked btw. Can't wait to see what happens with Mesh this year. By that I mean PUT IT IN WIN7 :)

James

P.S Can someone please turn on the Live Gallery Sync.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:56 AM
  • How long have you got? :)

1. Remember OS settings. I want to be able to have the same desktop, taskbar settings, recent documents, sidebar gadgets, start menu items, theme etc... on all my machines. Peehaps I could define "profiles" of this stuff and when I buy a new machine I simply pick a profile to apply to it.
    2. Syncing files is great but not so good if the software I need to view them isn't on all my machines. e.g. I create a Visio document on one machine but on another machine I don't have Visio isntalled. How about if I install Visio on one machine than it automatically appears on all of them? This is similar, but still different, to Mesh enabled web apps.
    3. Imagine the scenario: my (sync-equipped) Ford Focus says to me:
      "Ah Mr Thomson, I see from your calendar that you have a meeting in Reading in an hour's time. It usually takes 45 minutes to get there from your current location but an accident on the M4 means that traffic is slow moving so you'd better get moving or else you'll be late. Here is the optimum route: http://maps.live.com/blah-blah-blah. Would you like me to plug the route into your GPS device for you?

Your friend Mr Smith has also been delayed by the traffic (his current location is shown on the previously linked to map) and is expected to arrive approximately 10 minutes late. I have informed all your colleagues that they may need to delay the meeting and have automatically re-booked the meeting room accordingly."

This should be possible one day using Mesh. Originally discussed here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/liveframework/thread/1b803f3f-4fc4-489c-9b65-17c669b5bb01

4. I want to be able to view my Exchange calendar that my employer provides for me alongside all my other calendars at http://calendar.live.com. Not sure if this is something Mesh could help with - perhaps it could.
    5. Live editing of files as I have them open. e.g. I have the same Excel file open as someone else. If they change some value in one of the cells then I'd expect it to change on my version too (and vice versa). I suspect Office Live is meant to solve this.
    6. Syncing SkyDrive with my local machines has got to be top of most people's lists hasn't it?
    7. I'd like to store all my Messenger conversations on the Mesh. As I have explained previously (More on storing Messenger conversations on the Mesh) the current ability to Mesh sync the folder containing all my stored conversations is useful...but not a complete solution.
    8. Being a data guy at heart I'd like to use Mesh to sync the contents of a SQL Data Services store. Perhaps I could sync it with Amazon SimpleDB or Google BigTable? That would be interesting...
    9. An online shopping list. Whichever device I'm on I can add something to my online shopping list. I could submit this list to my local supermarket and they then deliver it all. Or, perhaps that shopping list could be displayed on the shopping trolley (i.e. shopping cart) as I go around the store.
    10. Control my Windows Media Center when I'm not at home. e.g. A show is coming on that I want recorded, I use Mesh to set my Windows Media Center to record it.
    11. I want my music library to live everywhere. On my computer, inside my stereo system, in my car.
    12. Virtual folders. e.g. I have a "virtual view" which is all of the files pertaining to some search term. The definition of that virtual folder is synced across multiple devices - as far as the O/S is concerned its a regular folder and it acceses it as such. Any changes toa  file in the virtual folder are actually made to the file where it resides in reality. If you think about it, this functionality could be used to only view/share a subset of a Mesh folder. (I may be mistaken but I think WinFS was originally promised to deliver similar stuff to all of this)
    13. I want to be able to have an up to date view of my bank accounts synced across all my devices. e.g. I'm in a store wondering if I can afford a new shirt. I jsut take out my phone, open my "banking app" and see instantly what my balance is. If I buy it I'd like that transaction to be represented in my "banking app" before I'd even gotten out of the store.
    14. Live Spaces to sync with Live Writer. So that as I write a blog entry it automatically appears as a draft on my Live Space. When I'm ready I check a box saying "publish" and it automatically gets published. No "upload" necassary.
    15. At the moment Zune is inherently "single master" i.e. My computer is teh definiteive source of all my my Zune media. Why not have it multi-master so that I don't have to wait until I get home to put the a new album onto my Zune. I buy the mp3 from (say) amazon, save it to my "Zune libarary stored on Mesh" and then as soon as my Zune gets online it starts to sync with it. Basically, make it all less reliant on that single master computer.
    16. Zune podcasts. At the moment if I see a podcast advertised then I have to write down the URL until I'm back at the computer which is my "master source" for my Zune. Why not just type the URL into some sort of Zune app which then syncs my list of subscribed podcastrs back to my computer which then downloads it and ultimately puts it onto my Zune.
    17. One contacts store. Be it Windows Live, on my phone or in Exchange. I know this is all possible today using various "connectors" but it definitely needs to be more seamless. Like I said above, it just needs to be invisible.
    18. Data sharing with 3rd parties. e.g. If one of my Facebook friends updates their phone number I want that to automatically flow to my Windows Live contact store for that person. I know this is a huge ask and ther's many more parties involved than jsut Microsoft, but Mesh could enable this.
    19. Live Maps collections should be stored in the Mesh and viewable via a Mesh app.
    20. I'd like to be able to store the results of queries on search.live.com into a place on Live Mesh. Live Mesh can become a "cuttings" book (or a scrap book as we call it in the UK) of search results over time.
    21. Windows Mobile could capture my location (via GPS or otherwise) and upload it to Mesh. I can share my location with others or share it with services who could use that information to provide me with relevant information.
    22. Having the ability to resolve conflicts is OK but I'd rather there weren't any conflicts in the first place. So, in Office Live, I'd like there to be the ability to "lock" a file (a bit like check-in/check-out) stored on Mesh (or wherever) to prevent anyone from making changes to it. That lock is permeated across the Mesh.
    23. Go to http://search.live.com and search the contents of my Mesh as well as the public web. If ever there were a Google differentiator - that is it.
    24. The standard File Open/Save dialog in Windows apps should offer an option to save directly to my cloud storage whether that be Skydrive/Mesh or whatever our cloud storage looks like in the future. (This is what I mean above when I say "seamless" and "invisible".) This is the feature that you need to delay Windows 7 for. Seriously. 
    25. My custom word dictionary and list of autocorrects in Microsoft Word lives in the cloud so that they are accessible to other apps.

I expect I'll be revisiting this thread with more ideas :)

Oh, and I completely understand what Oren is on about when he says "I'd love to see Live Mesh disappear". I want it to be invisible, I want it built into the O/S (EU commission notwithstanding) and have it just "work" without me knowing about it. I want sync to be something I take for granted rather than something I have to think about.

And I agree with James...delay Win7 until Mesh is ready!!! :)

http://jamiethomson.spaces.live.com/ | http://blogs.conchango.com/jamiethomson
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:10 PM
  • My god Jamie that's a great list. Much of the interoperability would depend on 2 things. 1) API backend allowing such things into MOE and 2) Those 3rd party entities actually writing those modules. #2 being the real sticky point.

Regarding #1 on your list what your looking for (which i would love) is a roaming desktop style setup in the cloud. Create a profile, upload it to the MOE on the skydrive storage ;), add it to each device, loginto each device and hit "Yes i want to sync my profile with this one". Tho because of the registry file issues and whatnot it might have to either create a new profile/login on that PC or require some special "magic" to do the alterations upon reboot the first time. This should also include all your other live app settings so everything is as seamless as possible!

As for #12 the libraries feature of Win7 is a perfect example of this, we just need to take it to the "cloud" ;)

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 2:58 AM
  • Agree with all of the above suggestions - especially comments about syncing of settings =) would be nice to have settings syncronised without having to manually go into hidden folders and work out what folder to synronise etc...

Love the idea of syncing documents to live mesh, then when you double click to open them they open up in Office Live - that would be fantastic!
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:46 AM
  • 1) Skydrive and Mesh Desktop merge, so you get 25GB of storage and all folders already on SkyDrive meshed to other PCs.

2) 360 and Zune integration, basically for podcast subscriptions. Perhaps have the Mesh (all computers on the mesh on one WinID) count as one 'computer' for the purposes of Zune Pass.  To add a person to your Zune Pass, just invite them to a special folder or something.

3) Sync browser settings, bookmarks and add-ons (make it dead-simple so the non-techies can figure it out, it can be done currently for Firefox at least, but its tricky.)

4) 'Mesh macros', perhaps including #2 and #3 for things like 'Share my documents', 'Share my browser settings', that sort of thing, for non-techies again.

The main thing to me is that a lot of non-techies won't really get what Mesh can do for them.  Yeah, a lot of that can be covered by apps using the Mesh API, but MSFT can do its part too.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 6:52 AM
  • Hi,

Cold_Realms said:

1) API backend allowing such things into MOE

Yep. http://dev.live.com/liveframework

MachinationX said:

4) 'Mesh macros', perhaps including #2 and #3 for things like 'Share my documents', 'Share my browser settings', that sort of thing, for non-techies again.

The Live Framework has an in-built scripting language (http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=live+framework+resource+scripts&form=QBRE) that be used to alter stuff on the Mesh. Is that the sort of thing you mean?

-Jamie

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:04 AM
  • Windows 7 Federated Search connector for finding files in my mesh, including files from folders shared with me.

Windows Sidebar gadget for Mesh-related info (news, devices, folders, etc.)

Slap a MeshBar onto the side of Office apps.

Integration with Windows Marketplace, SkyMarket, or some other Microsoft equivalent of the iTunes App Store that lets me buy an app once to install onto all (or some) devices in my mesh.

I love Jamie's idea of being able to buy music into my mesh.

Popfly integration.  Let me access data in my mesh from Popfly mashups.  Let me build Popfly games that synchronize to my devices.  Let me sell Popfly games into other people's meshes through an App Store.

If only Microsoft had a good feed reader similar to Google Reader, Mesh would be the perfect way to take feeds offline and keep read/unread/favorite entries in sync and share favorites with others.  Perhaps synchronizing the Windows RSS Platform across mesh devices would be an acceptable substitute.

http://orand.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:23 AM
  • Oran Dennison said:

Windows Sidebar gadget for Mesh-related info (news, devices, folders, etc.)

http://orand.blogspot.com

MMM sidebar gadget :)
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:27 AM
  • Oran Dennison said:

I love Jamie's idea of being able to buy music into my mesh.

Thanks Oran. Yeah, this is a killer scenario. It has a caveat though. My music library is bigger than what Mesh/Skydrive offers as cloud storage so I don't sync it up to the cloud. If I am on a public computer (e.g. in an internet cafe) how do I save a file into my music library if my music isn't in the cloud?

I've asked this numerous times (e.g. here and here) but judging by the lack of activity on that submission I assume that (unfortunately) no-one at Microsoft seems particularly interested in it (apologies if this isn't the case and something is going on out of view). I don't understand that if it is the case - I think its one of THE most important scenarios.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:01 AM
  • I think anything to do with music, espcially buying and syncing, is gonna be a hard sell at the moment. Not becausec MS doesn't want to do it but more because the Music companies don't want to. They're just learning now that DRM isn't the answer. I'm sure the cloud model (or subscription based music) will be the final outcome, but not for a few years :(

Add my vote for a Window Gadget.

Even if there was no MS RSS Reader just being able to subscribe to your mesh news feeds by another reader would be nice.

I wonder if in 5 - 10 years say Mesh WILL be the OS? It's sure looking like that.  I hope so :)

James

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:23 AM
  • JamesMoore said:

I wonder if in 5 - 10 years say Mesh WILL be the OS? It's sure looking like that.  I hope so :)

Definitely. I reckon we'll get to a point where our "computer" is something spanning multiple devices - our own "personal mainframe" if you like.

"Logging onto your computer" will no longer mean logging onto a single device, it means logging on to that personal mainframe. With that in mind (and getting back to the point of this thread) as a first step I'd like to see us given the ability to log on to Windows using our Windows Live ID. Given its name that seems like an obvious thing to do and I'm rather surprised it can't be done in Win7 beta 1.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:04 AM
  • Two requests:

1. I'd like to sync up my RSS feeds - not Live Mesh feeds, but blogs etc. that I read in Outlook and WL Mail. I can currently sync my feeds directory as outlined here (http://www.redmondpie.com/take-your-favorites-and-rss-feeds-with-you-using-mesh/) but that doesn't really work as the read/unread state doesn't synch as well as causing a "synch storm" across all machines.

2. A location application that I could share my current location (preferably on a WL Map) with trusted friends. Maybe it could hook into the Location platform in Windows 7? (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/sensors/default.mspx)

John (http://blogs.msdn.com/john_pollard)

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:24 PM
  • Hi,

My dream would be for a seamless integration across all by devices. Ideally it wouldn't matter which device I using as all documents and settings would have been copied across. 

1) Files are automatically synced between by desktop, laptops, mobile device and web workspace. When I access by web workspace from a remote computer all documents should open in an office web editor.

2) Program and desktop settings should be copied across all devices (like roaming profiles). Apps like IE should sync all the bookmarks across the multiple devices. Last opened docs in word, excel etc should be copied across.

3) Podcasts/music that are download to my desktop should be wireless synced(automatically)  to my mobile, zune etc

4) The web desktop should look just like my pc desktop 

5) Option to purchase more online storage. Mozy's $5 for unlimited is awesome.

6) Remote access to my devices over the web.(Doesn't appear to be as smooth/quick as Remote Desktop yet)

7) Access to my Media Center recordings. Would be great to watch a recording on my commute to work on a different pc.

8) If I got a new device the setup should be as simple as signing into my Live account and then all my settings should be automatically copied and documents synced. Any missing apps(i.e office) I would either be prompted to insert the install media or they would be downloaded and installed. Imagine how painless this would make buying/setting up a new pc!!!!

Cheers
    Daniel

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:56 PM
  • Ben, the best way to work out what you need to do is to simply re-build your machine - I'm sure that you've done enough of that lately :-)  We're all using Mesh to store data and share it out across devices but some of the stuff that we sync requires special attention when setting it up the next time 'round.

Live Messenger conversations are the best example that I can think of right now.  Whilst it's simple to sync your Conversation History folder, it often requires you to go in to Live Messenger and manually change the default location of where Conversations are stored. 

This - to me - is a classic example of where having it built into the software to begin with would make it less of a hassle.  Just make it a Tools|Options setting (and an install option) to be able to choose a Mesh folder rather than a file location.

UPDATE #5: Ability to sync email signatures between various clients for managing Live mail (Outlook Connector, WL Mail Client, WL Hotmail)

UPDATE #4: This is probably a bit 'from left field' but one of the apps that I always end up syncing is my - OneNote notebooks. 

UPDATE #3: Another example might be - RSS Feed Store items.

UPDATE #2: Another no-brainer example might be - Live Writer Drafts.

UPDATE #1: I know that I can leave my list short... Jamie is sure to list off everything else that I've not mentioned anyways :P

Thursday, January 29, 2009 12:15 PM
  • A few biggies on my list... 

• Better sync functionality for app settings... for example, I have my "Documents\Visual Studio" and "Documents\SQL" as Mesh folders and it works great... tried it with Windows Live Mail, hoping to be able to make my RSS feed list/unread items portable, but it borked the mail settings big time... if I could exclude certain subfolders from the sync it might be a work-around
    • The most glaring feature that's missing from Windows Live is ability to sync a calendar (that the WinMo Hotmail sync won't do it I consider a "fatal/work-stoppage" level bug)... right now I need to install Outlook and manually copy items between my Outlook calendar and Live calendar, then tehter my WinMo device.  Maybe Mesh could fill in this missing gap?  (Side note to the Live web team, in the mobile version of the site, there's no way to access--even just to view--a Live calendar... another "fatal error, work stoppage" level bug).
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:46 PM
  • I know that a fairly common request of Live Mesh is to allow us to store a history of versions of a given file.

Nowhere would this be more useful than in code development where typically today we use version control systems to store old versions of our code files. I envisage that our online storage (whatever that is) could be turned into our own "personal version control system in the cloud". If that were done then why not allow Visual Studio to use that - automatically creating all code we write in that version control system. Code is always synced to wherever you've got VS installed because, well, its on the Mesh isn't it?

This idea came to me when I considered that I have code that I have written over the years strewn all over the place. How great would it be if all my code (and versions) were managed for me? How great would it be if version control and code storage were simply something I never had to think about.

Interesting possibilities I think!

Thursday, January 29, 2009 11:32 PM
  • There's a lot of talk on this thread about syncing software settings across different machines -and rightly so- so why not take the idea one step further. Instead of just syncing the software settings how about syncing the software itself? Let me explain.

Every time I get a new machine I have to go through the rigmarole of installing Office, Windows Live Essentials, Visual Studio and a whole conurcopia of other software. This usually involves [putting a DVD into the drive/mounting an .iso] and clicking through the same monotonous wizard that I went through last time I installed it on my last machine. Doesn't this all seem a little bit...redundant? I've already installed the software once and supplied all of the information prompted for in the wizard, why do I have to enter it again?

Better would be if the software was something I (notionally) installed onto my Mesh (i.e. my "personal mainframe" that I talked about above) and it was just there and available to me whenever I bought a new device.

-Jamie

P.S. Maybe that device isn't a computer as we know it today. Perhaps its one of these: http://www.unwiredview.com/2009/01/29/microsoft-patents-the-interface-to-transform-your-phone-into-a-pc/

Friday, January 30, 2009 9:06 AM
  • I saw a report yesterday about the SendTo menu in Win7:

As you already know, when you right-click on any item, one of the options that displays is the “Send To” menu. In Windows 7, you can choose to send that item to a Compressed (Zipped) Folder, your Desktop (create shortcut), Fax or Mail Recipients, or to your CD/DVD drive. However, when you hold down the SHIFT key and right-click, a whole new menu appears with a lot more options.

The expanded menu includes all of your User folders like Contacts, Desktop, Downloads, Favorites, Links, My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, Saved Games, and Searches.
    (http://on10.net/blogs/sarahintampa/Windows-7-Secret-ldquoSend-Tordquo-Menu/)

It would be nice if that expanded SendTo menu allowed you the ability to SendTo your cloud storage. I envisage all of your Mesh/cloud storage folders appear as another sub-menu (a bit like desktop folders do in the Desktop toolbar on the Windows taskbar) - allowing you to quickly and esaily move stuff into your Mesh.

-Jamie
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 8:57 AM
  • Yeah, it would be cool if there was a folder "Live Mesh" with all your meshed folders in a sub menu.

What you can do today is add one (or more) of your meshed folders there manually. For instance, I have a "multi-purpose mesh share folder".

To do this, add a shortcut to the folder to your SendTo folder. It location varies, on Vista it's:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

ou often can find it from Start > Run > type SendTo > OK
    Stefan Krueger, Microsoft MVP - Windows Installer, www.InstallSite.org
    Monday, February 02, 2009 3:38 PM
  • I heavily agree with those that request integration with Skydrive.

That would let the WL Sync disappear, and sync our favorites and the sort with Live Mesh through Skydrive.

That way WL Sync wouldn't just be a program like Live Mesh, just with less features.

Just my $.02
    Wednesday, February 04, 2009 7:10 PM
  • Aj6627 said:

I heavily agree with those that request integration with Skydrive.

That would let the WL Sync disappear, and sync our favorites and the sort with Live Mesh through Skydrive.

That way WL Sync wouldn't just be a program like Live Mesh, just with less features.

Just my $.02

Don't kill sync until the restriction on what file types we can use with mesh is removed! Thats a feature of sync that keeps it on my computer.
    Wednesday, February 04, 2009 7:59 PM
  • Feel like its part of Windows Live, not a standalone/separate service.
    The "device ring" and "remote access" compotents should be incorporated in a separate service area called "SkyNet", "SkyRing" or "SkyMesh".  This would be listed in the Windows Live Wave 3 menu under "More", next to "SkyDrive".

Live SkyDrive should become some hybrid of Live SkyDrive and current Live Mesh Desktop UI.  SkyNet/SkyRing/SkyMesh should show "SkyDrive" instead of "Desktop" in the device ring.  If you want to keep the current Desktop, make it a advanced/optional view in Live SkyDrive.  Its the same concept you are doing with Office Web Apps..providing advanced capabilities using SilverLight.

Live Mesh's syncing technology should be migrated into Live SkyDrive as well.  No need for a Live Mesh or Live Sync portal...just use Live SkyDrive.  The PC client should be renamed "Live SkyDrive".  In addition, removing "Manage Devices" from the client application will simplify things.

Quick Glance - Windows Live Home
    There should be some way of including Live Mesh 'News' on your Windows Live Home page.  And there should be some filtering capabilities as well.  For example, maybe there is only one important folder I want to be kept update to date on the latest changes.

...all the other enhancements that I want have to do with integration with Windows Home Server.  In the future you might want to consider getting rid of Sync Center in Windows.

Thursday, February 05, 2009 10:33 PM
  • im sorry people but i have a question and i dont think it refers to anything being disussed on this forum.i need someone who knows alot about windows vista to help me.i would thank you very much. any way here it is,,,,i was using windows sidebar on mycomputer and i decided to download some gagets for it.i think they where google gagets im not sure.so all the sudden it messis up my computer and i have to restart it for it to work again.when it was ready i noticed alot of my visual settings where not normal.i fixed every thing except one problom.for some reason my taskbar and start menu turned dark black and it is now its not barely transparant.please help

Thursday, February 05, 2009 11:40 PM
  • drummerssz said:

im sorry people but i have a question and i dont think it refers to anything being disussed on this forum.

Indeed, this is not the right forum for your question. Please try the Vista community groups:
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx

Stefan Krueger, Microsoft MVP - Windows Installer, www.InstallSite.org
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Okay everyone.. here is my list of things that I d like to see , taking windows live mesh/live services into account.

As mentioned before it all should act as one seamless live experience... This means that every multimedia object should have a place within the mesh.. yes even camera's (imagine cameras with internetconnection.. ;) ). As for now every service of windows live is scattered. 

the list of these services:
    Live mesh
    My phone (bit similar.. but adding the super feature of using calendar and other stuff) (upcomming)
    Live mail
    Live messenger
    Live office
    Live skydrive
    Live (all others)
    Live Xbox

list of programs that were currently using:
    live mesh
    my phone (upcomming)
    live outlook (mobile)
    live office (part of microsoft office... super integrated, bit slow sometimes though)
    live messenger
    live mail (desktop)
    Live Xbox (on xbox/internet)
    other live desktop applications like photo gallery and live writer.. etc

As for my vision of these services that microsoft is giving us. All of these programs / services should be integrated with each other and should be put into one great application that is always running in the background of your pc/phone/whateverdevice. 

This gives us the following pre's for example:

- On my phone i make a picture, it gets updated instantly with my mesh. Someone sees it and writes me a mail about it. I get it on my phone and can instantly reply to it.. all of it just on my phone without the need of thinking to put it up.

- On my phone i make a small movie, it gets updated immidiately with my mesh. later that day i go to my desktop and adjust it. Then again it is automaticly updated. On my phone i forgot that i also had a picture that goes along with this movie. I decide to blog it to my space/page... all of it on my phone or desktop. 

- Having an assignment for my work or course i save it in a map that is instantly uploaded to my virtual space on the mesh. In the train id like to show it to someone... no problem with my phone or mobile future ebook reader... 

- Having made a super awesome something, i forgot to upload it to my mesh ( so put it in the wrong folder ). My computer is at that moment turned off... no problem.. with my phone or ebook reader or laptop or maybe even photocamera i can access my desktop by turning it on from the web!!!

etc etc there are endless circumstances or possibilities that this is handy for people who use the computer a lot on different locations.

as i have the fullest confidence that this is going to be developed.. i d like to give some future insight of myself of how i think the computerworld will look when this is so far developed...

1 Laptops and basicly all devices can acces mesh or what then basicly everything called live together for now. Devices like a laptop are built precisly for this and therefore have no real hard disk anymore.. no all harddrive space is online.. together with all the files they need.. yes connection will become the bottleneck ( but who says that that will not be developed further??? )

2 As drivespace becomes a big need in the future for everyone.. and real harddrives for your own arent needed anymore that much.. people can just buy more online space .. as they would have bought a hardware ssd... however in this future ... microsoft or any other company will have massive storage building filled with millions of those already standing for everyone who wants more diskspace..

3 as mentioned before.. if i take a picture with my canon photocamera.. , the photo i immidiately updated to my mesh.. with my laptop on my lap.. i can immidiately see it in its full glory and give the right adjustments.. camera's will have unlimited space.. because every photo will be uploaded to the mesh.. only a little workmemory will be needed inside the photocamera...

4 as mobile phones and laptops will get close and closer together.. there will get a time that you just plug your phone to a local monitor and keyboard.. or even better bring your own flexible seized monitor etc etc.. you get it

I am getting lost in my own immagination not to mention the gaming world around us... awesome possibilities will become available!! gaming accross multiple devices (atm it is not a hit yet.. but i have confidence)... 

whatever i think i said enough for now... hope you like it !! plz live team get this up asap!!!

thanks , strages
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 4:41 PM
  • Definitely need more than 5gb storage in Live Mesh. Sky Drive could be merged into Live Mesh.
    Friday, February 13, 2009 10:24 PM
  • SkyDrive, FolderShare, and Mesh groups need to be merged permanently and refocused into one tool.

Mesh clearly has all the same functionality of SkyDrive and FolderShare, so Mesh should "win" in my opinion, but the unique/superior features of those services should be integrated into Mesh.

For example, I love that with FolderShare, I don't have to explicitly choose to sync the folders for remote access. I can access anything on my C: drive at any time remotely.

Also, I love the fact that SkyDrive has such a large storage capacity, so Mesh should take advantage of that. Of course, I think there should be a "premium" service that allows up to 100GB.
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 3:23 PM
  • Better late than never.  Or is that, better never than late?  Lots of good ideas here.  I think Mesh is great.  Why have Mesh, Sync, Sky Drive, et al?  Let's integrate them into one application with selectable functionality.  I'd also like to see Groove-like sync, meaning sync of changes as opposed to re-transfer of entire files.  That should vastly improve speed, at least for non-media files. 
    Monday, June 15, 2009 2:22 AM
  • I am interested in Live Mesh syncing with Live Office and Skydrive.

When I work in a Live Office workspace, the file is not automatically saved locally. I have to save it twice every time, and if I forget, then the file is an orphan and I don't know if I have the correct version. To put anything in Mesh, I need to save the file in 3 places. Which one is the correct version? I have no clue. When a project involves other people, this confusion gets multiplied accordingly. Until there is a way past this "orphan" issue, Live Office is not ready for business and Mesh is just a cool toy.

Ideally, I want to put my workspaces in a Mesh folder that I can sync with my desktop, laptop, and Windows Mobile phone. Then I know that I always have the latest version of my work, and I would use the online services more often.

Ultimately, I want my Mesh desktop to have a link to my skydrive folders as well. In other words, I don't think it needs to contain the files, but just give me a way to add a shortcut to get to Skydrive content from the Mesh desktop.

Personally, I could care less about music or whatever... I just need my work.

Thanks for all you have built so far:)
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 12:22 AM
  • I would like to sync my windows live contacts folder with the myphone contacts folder. -- I refuse to sync windows live with my mobile because that is how I lost all of my windows live contacts in the first place (sync gone haywire) -- now I have my contacts on my phone but I cannot upload those contacts back onto windows live.   Or can I ????
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:11 PM
  • I would like to sync my windows live contacts folder with the myphone contacts folder. -- I refuse to sync windows live with my mobile because that is how I lost all of my windows live contacts in the first place (sync gone haywire) -- now I have my contacts on my phone but I cannot upload those contacts back onto windows live.   Or can I ????

Not using Live Mesh, which the subject of this forum. Check out MyPhone - http://sn1-p2.myphone.microsoft.com/mkweb/Start.po?mkt=en-US

-steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, October 30, 2009 2:29 PM
  • I have been using Mesh since pre-alpha, I have enjoyed adding all my household and work based machines into on ring and be able to access them from anywhere I have internet access.  I have 2 scenarios that I think are worthy to adding to the mesh collective.

Scenario 1: Mesh Dom - a virtual domain where machines from different rings of different mesh users could agree to add their machines into a domain for the purposes of working together for not only file/folder sharing but also allowing machine access to each other.  The hiearchy would look be a dom object on the ring, when user clicks the dom, it exposes all devices in that dom, regardless of whether it is a machine, printer, or other attachable device. If a machine device has a printer attached, then user of the ring could either remote to machine device or click on the printer device attached to the machine in that dom and send a file for printing, etc.

It was my understanding that when mesh started out this was the kind of goal it was going to have, so far, in order for others to access my mesh remotes, or visa versa, I have to allow them access to my ring using my account.

User should be able to establish a Mesh dom, and invite others to it, might even start out with a default or home dom to add their current devices to.   Features such as make private as default, make visible as optional setting, where visible shows the device but does not grant any access.  A final feature would be make accessable to other doms, would then allow a machine device to be added to other doms, where user can create a new dom or join an existing dom they have been invited to join.

Scenario 2: Save RDP settings - I love the fact that I can RDP from a machine in my network from any machine outside my network, but when I want to use RDP from outside my network and outside Mesh, I cannot seem to configure RDP to make it possible.  If I could save the Mesh configuration to an RDP file setting, I could use it outside of my network when I am at locations where installation or use of Mesh is not a desired option.
    Friday, December 25, 2009 1:09 AM
  • For scenario 1, I suspect that the capability exists for a 3rd party developer to make available on the Live Framework platform. I don't expect to see this in the Live Mesh client as it adds quite a bit of complexity for the security, though I understand why someone ay wish to do this.
    For scenario 2, you already have the ability to remote to a PC in your Mesh by starting at the Live Desktop in the web browser from any PC.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 11:55 PM
  • My wife, my son and myself have or share a cell phone, netbook, home and work laptop, home and work/school desktop) and several email accounts. As a result, the family has about a dozen contact lists to maintain. 

I was visiting my mother, age 80, and needed to phone my uncle. We could not determine what the correct phone number was from our computers so my mother pulled out the little black book that I remember working so well for the whole family.

I would love to have one contact list for the whole family that could be accessed from all devices. 
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 6:38 PM
  • hi ,

office live , messenger , your live page , etc , ... many options it depends what you want and from where , ... with live you can hook up the phone true live mobile

have a nice day
    Scan with OneCare + 50 Windows 7even Tips + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR+ Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Office 2010 beta + Get Windows LIVE!
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 7:23 PM
  • A lot of great ideas and I agree with the "solve world hunger" approach (total integration with everything past, present and future). If I had to focus on just a couple that would top my list, they would be 1) full Media Center integration with broad DLNA compatibility and 2) Mesh, Sync, Sky Drive integration.
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 7:29 PM
  • I agree with all of this except integration office live. It should be killed off in favour of skydrive and office web apps. I would love to have full integration with sydrive though - although the mesh interface is better than skydrive, so I think that skydrive should be kind of morphed into mesh. 
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:58 PM
  • My husband & I are "newbies" We have an OFFICE LIVE SmallBusiness website & we'd like to see as much integration of  Windows Live  as posiible with OFFICE Live Small Business . But what would be best for us is an Online school where we could learn step-by-step how to integrate features .
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 4:10 PM
  • My husband & I are "newbies" We have an OFFICE LIVE SmallBusiness website & we'd like to see as much integration of  Windows Live  as posiible with OFFICE Live Small Business . But what would be best for us is an Online school where we could learn step-by-step how to integrate features .

German Park Manager, you should go here: http://smallbusiness.officelive.com/en-US/ContactUs

The forum you posted to is for the beta of Live Mesh, not Office Live.

-steve

Monday, August 30, 2010 5:26 PM