Establishing OCS Voice Calls RRS feed

• Question

•  

OCS is new to me, and all of this may be well known to everyone, so I’d appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction with a link or two.

It seems to me that making a voice call in OCS has a lot of similarity to sending an email in Exchange. If I hover over an email address on a web page I see a link like mailto:Bob@example.com in my browser status bar … this is at least superficially similar to Bob’s voice address, something like sip:Bob@sip.example.com. If I want to send an email to Bob, my email server goes out to example.com and gets a mail exchange record or two, and sends the email to mail.example.com, or whatever IP address that resolves to.

From what I’ve been able to find out about actual SIP, things are different. For example, the Wikipedia article on Session Initiation Protocol has a diagram showing the use of several proxies to connect two users with SIP. This makes sense in a way if there is something special in the connection needed, but it seems that with OCS and the RTAudio codec, we are free to talk over a plain old Internet connection.

Just as I receive emails using a general purpose sort of connectivity, doesn’t it make sense to have a similar general connectivity among SIP users? Rather than a federation between two organizations, one would have a SIP address printed on one’s business card, for those situations where a traditional phone number was not needed.

One might extend this approach to some kind of presence sensing, where a person could click an “Available?” button on an Outlook contact and see if that person had a presence status exposed to “everyone”, perhaps akin to a professor’s office hours.

Thanks,

Jim

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:17 PM