OS Reinstall/Upgrade - what do I need to do in WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Win7 beta and plan to clean install the Win7 RC, on my 2 pc's and laptop. Since all data is on WHS this is going to be pretty simple, but I'm not sure about these -

1. Accounts
    Right now WHS has 4 accounts, matched to the user accounts in Windows. Does WHS  simply use the name and password to login over the network to client pc's, or is something deeper (like a Windows SID) which is tied to the actual user account? Can I just recreate the same accounts in the new install?

2. Backups
    I will reinstall the connector. In WHS I tried to configure the backups to not keep any (and ran cleanup), and even removed the client pc. The backups still show that they are taking up a lot of space (60-70GB). How can I really delete them since they are no longer needed?
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    WHS uses the Connector software as vehicle, which does not need your user account to access the server (you authorize the backups with the console password during Connector software installation).
    The user accounts are staying on the server, if you create the same user names and passwords on the new installed client again, that should be all you have to do.
    The server itself does not access the Client PCs (besides if you are using the Remote Desktop connection in the Remote Access interface), the user accounts are only for managing the access permissions to shared folders and Remote Access.

For removing the backups from the server after deletion of the clients you can wait until Sunday (in the backup time frame also a backup cleanup is done) or you initiate that cleanup manually in the console.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 12:49 PM