none
Activation wizard does not start; system hangs RRS feed

• Question

• This is Windows Server 2003, not Windows XP, but I didn't see a forum for Server 2003.

I converted a VM Ware VM to Hyper-V.  When booting the VM would hang so I did a repair.  When the repair is finished the first thing that happens is that I am told that the product needs to be activated.  I click "Yes" to activate and the system no longer responds.  It is not really dead.  The mouse cursor moves, but there is nothing to click and Ctrl-Alt-Del has no effect.  I suspect that there is no Internet connectivity at this point in the process, but I don't get an offer to do phone activation either.

Is there any way forward?

Troy Donavan
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 12:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• "Troy Donavan" wrote in message news:b711ad81-7a79-4e59-8241-52c095471794...

This is Windows Server 2003, not Windows XP, but I didn't see a forum for Server 2003.

I converted a VM Ware VM to Hyper-V.  When booting the VM would hang so I did a repair.  When the repair is finished the first thing that happens is that I am told that the product needs to be activated.  I click "Yes" to activate and the system no longer responds.  It is not really dead.  The mouse cursor moves, but there is nothing to click and Ctrl-Alt-Del has no effect.  I suspect that there is no Internet connectivity at this point in the process, but I don't get an offer to do phone activation either.

Is there any way forward?

Troy Donavan

<quote Dan at IT Associates>

You might be able to address your immediate issue of the expired 30-day activation grace period by resetting it. Follow these steps:

1. If the computer can be started to a safe mode command prompt, do so.

2. At the command prompt, type this command exactly (space, caps, and comma are essential):

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

3. Restart.

If you were successful, your activation grace period will have been reset, giving you more time to work on the problem.

</quote>

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 10:47 AM
  • Please repost your inquiry in one of the appropriate Windows Server Forums.
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 7:37 PM