Help message says URGENT? RRS feed

• Question

•  

OneCar shows me an Urgent message, then says to go to help center. What am I suppose to be looking for here? what am I needing help with? It tells me to ask a question. Ok? again,,,what I am needing to ask it about?
    Friday, June 13, 2008 5:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Kristie.

The backup part of the problem is sort of easy to address, assuming you don't want to perform a backup. If it failed when trying to backup to CD and you want to backup, then more information about what happened would be needed. If you choose to disable backup, you can do this and your status will go back to green - once the other issue is dealt with.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Now, for the SP3 issue. You will need to upgrade to SP3 or your status will remain forever yellow as SP3 is considered a critical/important update via Windows Update. You can get free support from Microsoft for SP3.

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173#tab0

-steve

Monday, June 16, 2008 7:08 PM

All replies

• Having an Urgent message in OneCare is a very broad issue. Is there any recent Windows update occur on the past few days?

Friday, June 13, 2008 7:00 PM
  • I moved your post out of the Off Topic folder where you posted it to.

Can you provide any more detail about the message? What is the specific wording? Does it say, "OneCare may not be protecting your computer" or something similar? Does it provide any other instruction other than to go to Help?

You may want to contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, June 14, 2008 12:27 AM
  • The message I am getting is telling me to install SP3, I tried that, and it really messed up my computer to the point of having to do a complete restore on it. It will not take my computer off fair standards unless I install sp3.

High-priority updates
    This update can have system-wide effects or address more than one problem. It must be installed separately from other updates.
    We recommend you install it and then return to our home page to check if your computer needs other high-priority updates.

The second problem is the back up files, I tried using a flash drive and tried to burn a cCD for a back up, and it refuses both of them. Again it keeps my computer in fair standards. Can not get it off the yellow and on to the green.
    Monday, June 16, 2008 5:46 PM
  • Hi Kristie.

The backup part of the problem is sort of easy to address, assuming you don't want to perform a backup. If it failed when trying to backup to CD and you want to backup, then more information about what happened would be needed. If you choose to disable backup, you can do this and your status will go back to green - once the other issue is dealt with.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Now, for the SP3 issue. You will need to upgrade to SP3 or your status will remain forever yellow as SP3 is considered a critical/important update via Windows Update. You can get free support from Microsoft for SP3.

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173#tab0

-steve

Monday, June 16, 2008 7:08 PM