Product key activation for Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Do I need to register or activate my product key to make it work?  It doesn't work.  Computer is a brand new Lenovo.

marathondoc

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Saturday, September 24, 2011 3:08 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Activation)
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:32 AM

Answers

• "marathondoc" wrote in message news:b71b3dc8-370d-448e-931f-fe5b012e6ebe...

Do I need to register or activate my product key to make it work?  It doesn't work.  Computer is a brand new Lenovo.

marathondoc

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
    - IN YOUR OWN THREAD, please

Note that Product Keys are Product-specific.
    Windows keys will NOT work for Office – so if you are attempting to activate Word/Excel/Outlook/etc on your PC using the Key on the Windows COA sticker, that will not work. You have to purchase the Key from a legitimate supplier.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, September 26, 2011 9:35 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:54 AM

All replies

• "marathondoc" wrote in message news:b71b3dc8-370d-448e-931f-fe5b012e6ebe...

Do I need to register or activate my product key to make it work?  It doesn't work.  Computer is a brand new Lenovo.

marathondoc

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
    - IN YOUR OWN THREAD, please

Note that Product Keys are Product-specific.
    Windows keys will NOT work for Office – so if you are attempting to activate Word/Excel/Outlook/etc on your PC using the Key on the Windows COA sticker, that will not work. You have to purchase the Key from a legitimate supplier.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, September 26, 2011 9:35 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:54 AM
  • Hi,

Where did you obtain the Windows product? Did it provided by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) Lenovo?

If so, you may refer to the following link to activate it:

Activate Windows 7 on this computer

If there is the invalid product issue encountered, you may refer to the following link to check if you have the genuine product:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/whattolookfor.aspx

As it is the issue related with Windows 7, in order to get the answer effectively, it is recommended to post a new question in Windows 7 Forum for further discussion in the future.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 7:55 AM
  • No reply from the original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Monday, September 26, 2011 9:35 PM