Client Info Add-In RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

I just finished my first add in.  It uses WMI to get hardware information from all the client computers and the WHS. This includes processor, memory, IP address, drive size, temp, and if a SMART failure is predicted. 

Please try it out and let me know what you think.

http://emaurer.googlepages.com/whsadd-inpage
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:55 PM

All replies

• Neat!

What mechanism are you using to detect other PC’s when the Refresh (tool bar) button is clicked? When I do so only 2 of the 4 computers that are associated with my WHS (including it) are displayed, and of those two when expanded I only see “The value does not fall within the expected range”... however when I specify a username and password and use the refresh link, both of those PC’s have complete details without error.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 11:15 PM
  • Eric

I noticed  on your page an Icon (WHS Sync)  ???

I am curious .

Thursday, November 22, 2007 1:35 AM
  • I see nothing except my WHS itself. I have specified a username and password, but this makes no difference. What is required to be able to detect the other machines?

Thursday, November 22, 2007 5:21 PM
  • I am getting the same - just the WHS. Also, although the WHS has 2Gb RAM fitted, the add-in is only reporting 1Gb. I am sure this is only early days on what will be a very useful add-in.

Friday, November 23, 2007 8:18 AM
  •  Brendan Grant wrote:

Neat!

What mechanism are you using to detect other PC’s when the Refresh (tool bar) button is clicked? When I do so only 2 of the 4 computers that are associated with my WHS (including it) are displayed, and of those two when expanded I only see “The value does not fall within the expected range”... however when I specify a username and password and use the refresh link, both of those PC’s have complete details without error.

I get no data from my clients when I supply user ID and password.  Any idea what ports this uses?

Friday, November 23, 2007 5:22 PM
  •  Dave Marchant wrote:

I am getting the same - just the WHS. Also, although the WHS has 2Gb RAM fitted, the add-in is only reporting 1Gb. I am sure this is only early days on what will be a very useful add-in.

Yes actually I have the same issue with RAM reporting for the WHS server. I have 2.5GB fitted, but only 2GB is being reported by the add-in.

Friday, November 23, 2007 7:06 PM
  • Sorry, being Thanksgiving I hadn't checked the forum.  The add in uses the client names that are retuned by the WHS API, so maybe some other error is preventing some machines from being shown.  It may help to make sure all machines are on the same domain or workgroup.  I will check the RAM problem, I probably just have a conversion error in there somewhere. 

Thanks for the feedback, I will work on these bugs and get a new version out ASAP

Eric Maurer

MCP

Saturday, November 24, 2007 1:30 AM
  • I forgot to mention in the previous post, somone mentioned the icon for another add-in named "WHS Sync".  This is another add-in I am currently working on that will allows the SyncToy power toy to be opened and managed from the console.  It will also include the ability to create, open and run scheduled task, which is what I am working on now.  I'll let everyone know and post it when I get it done.

Eric Maurer

MCP

Saturday, November 24, 2007 1:34 AM
  • Machines were in a different workgroup to WHS, but I have now changed them. No difference to orginal issue however, can still only see the WHS itself.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 4:56 AM
  • For a time yesterday, I had the add-in reporting on all 6 of my client systems as well as the server. It seems a bit hit and miss on whether the systems are picked up on the Refresh. This morning I have three clients running and it is only detecting one.

I have powered a system on while running the WHS Console on another and it wouldn't detect it (although it was showing on the Computers and Avast AV tabs). I closed the console and restarted it and it still didn't detect it.

One thing I have done is to ensure every system has the Administrator password set to the same as the WHS. I then use the Administrator account for the Client Info username and password. Could this be picked automatically for reading the Client Info. Other add-in's work best with this arrangement anyway (the Wake-on-Lan add-in's for example).

Saturday, November 24, 2007 10:02 AM
  • Dave,

You have done better than I, I've yet to get anything from my clients.  If I clear the user ID and password it takes almost no time to refresh, when I enter user ID and password, it takes quite a long to end the refresh cycle.  Just now one of the drives on my server shows temperature twice, one 96.8 and the other 386.6.  A refresh does not clear the error but closing and opening the console does.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 2:00 AM
  • My WHS data seems to be reporting properly but, as reported by others, I see no information concerning my clients.... Could be firewall settings, but there is no information provided to provide gi\uidance in that area....

Great idea though....
    Sunday, November 25, 2007 3:37 AM
  •  JohnBick wrote:
    Great idea though....

Yep high score for concept, implementation needs some serious work.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 3:47 AM
  • I don't think it is firewall. I've had the firewall on the WHS and all the clients (I trust the one on my ADSL gateway) turned off from day one.

I guess it may be something to do with WMI as I have seen problems with this on systems where I work when trying to remotely audit them. That doesn't explain the randomness though.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 10:42 AM
  • Well, I restarted everything. Entered the server Username and Password on the left and did a refresh. I now consistently "see" all the computers (all in the same Workgroup). Unfortunately, except for the WHS unit, the others give errors. At the moment I have two computers on the network and get the following errors:

From a WindowsXP laptop:

"Access is denied (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))"

From a Windows Vista "desktop":

"The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA"

Any thoughts, folks?

....JBick
    Sunday, November 25, 2007 2:25 PM
  • RPC server unavailable means WMI is either being blocked or off.

Access denied means either the username and password is wrong or does not have permission to access WMI info.

I hope to have a new version out next week, that will fix the problems that most people seem to be having in this forum.  Thanks to everyone for trying out the first version and dealing with its bugs.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:40 PM
  • 1. How do I determine whether WMI is on or not?

2. If WMI is blocked, what do I need to do to unblock it?

3. I assume the username/password entry is for the WHS Server.
    Assuming the clients have different usernames and passwords, do I need to enter these? How? (The entry was and is correct for ny WHS unit.)

4. Will the new version fix these specific problems?

5. Please post here when the new copy is posted! I REALLY like the potential of this add-in!

Thanks for your responses!
    ...JBick
    Sunday, November 25, 2007 6:43 PM
  • Continuing above posting with some comments about the information reported for my WHS unit....

6. Under SYSTEM, the Workgroup and Username are displaying as blanks.

7. Also under SYSTEM, the Manufacturer is showing as VIA694 and the Model as AWRDACPI. This is a ABIT KR7A-133R motherboard so this response seems to be incorrect. (Am I missing something here?)

8. Under DRIVES I would RECOMMEND that you detect the true/false for the SMART failure prediction and then either make a prediction of failure or not. The average user may be confused bu the "SMART Failure Predicted: False". I would replace that with "SMART does NOT predict any impending failure" (and a similar wording for the "true" response).

The other information provided seems to be correct at first glance. (I built it a long time ago!) As I said before, I REALLY like this add-in's potential. If you would like me to test a future version in advance of your releasing it you may contact me as JohnBick at HotMail.com....

....JBick
    Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:10 PM
  • The new version is nearing completion.  I have a few things to fix based on the suggestions in the previous post. 

Problems fixed so far

• Individual client passwords
    • Clients not showing up when any client is disconnected
    • Clear error messages
    • Domain and workgroup fields
    • RAM miscalculation

Problems to be fixed

• SMART failure wording
    • Look into system WMI value

If anyone has any other suggestions or comments please let me know.

Thanks

whsaddins@gmail.com

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 3:30 AM
  • Eric,

I know you haven't publicised it yet, but I noticed 1.0.2 on your web site, so I downloaded and installed it. I haven't checked everything yet, but initial impressions are a major improvement. It found all my PC's first time. With the Admin username and password (all of my PC's have matching Administrator accounts) it found all the details of those turned on. I turned on another, refreshed and it appeared fine.

A VERY minor point for those of us in Europe - temperatures over here are generally in Centigrade / Celsius. I don't know if there is anything you can pick from the WHS Region Settings to automate that.

Well done and I'll feed back anything that comes to light in the next few days.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 9:36 PM
  • Great Addin with the exception of the caveat listed below, After Installing 1.0.2 all my clients were visable but no information was available there was an error message when you tried to expand the tree for the clients. I verified the WMI service was running on all the clients. I then used the method below to allow the firewall to pass WMI info to the server. this method allows only the IP address of the server to request/get this information.

Allow for remote administration

1. Click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
    2. Under Console Root, expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand Network, expand Network Connections, expand Windows Firewall, and then click Standard Profile.
    3. Right-click Windows Firewall: Allow remote administration exception, and then click Properties.

Click Enabled, add your servers IP address and then click Apply and OK

Hope this helps others having problems getting info displayed in the Console... Note that it will take much longer to open the console than it used to as this info is automatically refreshed on opening the console. It would probably be much better if the addin did not try to fetch this info every time the console starts, just when you manually hit refresh.

with 6 clients on my network it takes a about 1 minute to refresh, It took almost 4 minutes before I made the change to allow remote administration because it had to wait for a timeout for each machine before the console would open

Rex Geissinger

Friday, November 30, 2007 12:42 AM
  •  Rex Geissinger wrote:

Note that it will take much longer to open the console than it used to as this info is automatically refreshed on opening the console. It would probably be much better if the addin did not try to fetch this info every time the console starts, just when you manually hit refresh.

Rex Geissinger

Yeah, this side effect made me turn it off for now.  Perhaps it could just load the information it got the last time refreshed.

Jim

Friday, November 30, 2007 1:40 AM
  • I wrote a vbscript for myself about 6 months ago to do something similar to this with SQL Server. I would like to share some of the fields I used to possibly drive ideas.

First off a good tool I found for querying all the classes of WMI is bginfo. The program was designed to set your background with computer information but it has a nice WMI query tool if you select custom after you open it. Another nice thing about it is it's a flat file so nothing to install.

Anyway below are some of the fields I used and I can even share my code with you if you would like since it already has all the queries I'm going to mention in it.

Win32_Processor and Win32_Process

CPU Name (You'll need to use trim as some have extra spaces at the end or the beginning)

CPU Load Percent

I also used CPU Clock, L2Cache, and Processes Count but these are kind of useless unless you just like numbers.

Win32_ComputerSystem

Manufacturer

Model

Number of Processors

System Type

Also did PowerSupplyState but found it to be kind of useless.

Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration WHERE IPEnabled = True

Adapter

IPAddress

Gateway

DNS

SubnetMask

MAC Address

WINS Address

Win32_OperatingSystem

Last Reboot

Install Date

Win32_PhysicalMemory

Physical Memory Installed

Win32_PerfRawData_PerfOS_Memory

Physical Memory Free

Win32_NetworkLoginProfile WHERE LastLogon IS NOT NULL

Last Logon TimeDate

Last Logon UserName

MicrosoftIE_Summary

IE Version Installed

I also got the status of Auto Updates but that is a different item and not a WMI query.

The mapped drives isn't working correctly. I have mapped drives on all my computers but it they only show up on one computer in the computer info section.

Win32_Volume

FileSystem

Indexing Enabled

Compressed

Win32_DiskDrive

Partitions

Keep in mind everything I posted here is just to drive suggestions and ideas. By no way am I saying you have to us my data by I will gladly share my code and database with you if you'd like.

Friday, November 30, 2007 4:51 AM
  • It worked fine for me untill the Nov. update. Then NO client info. A re-install didn't fix it.

Rich

Saturday, December 1, 2007 4:45 AM
  • Clearly I don't have WMI/RPC set up on my clients.  Anyone have an easy path or should I take the time to snake it out on my own?

Saturday, December 1, 2007 5:09 AM
  • @ John Bick:
    On the left is a pulldown menu.  You'll need to select the appropriate system, and enter valid credentials (username/password) for that system, and hit 'set.'

@ Eric:
    Works great, except for one system.  It won't connect to my MCE2k5 server (mce-server)  ("Cannot connect to client computer, please check username and password.")  I've tried both the 'normal' (admin/RDP) account (Server), as well as Administrator. 
    Every other Pro-based machine, however, works fine (and, 2 of those are also headless, like the mce-server.)
    No errors in the System logs on the mce-server.
    Ideas?

Sunday, December 2, 2007 10:49 PM
  •  

A new version of the Client Info add-in has been released. Please go to http://emaurer.googlepages.com/whsadd-inpage for the newest version.

Thanks
    Eric Maurer MCP
    Monday, December 3, 2007 8:00 PM
  • I've just installed this add-in and set usernames and passwords for all the PCs. The only PC I can get information from though is the server. A couple of PCs that are disconnected show up as disconnected but the rest report "Cannot connect to client computer, please check firewall settings and make sure the WMI services is running". WMI is running on all PCs and I've turned off the firewall on one to see if that was the issue but the problem remains. 

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 12:25 PM
  • Uses multi-threading to query the clients faster and without freezing the console.
  • Celeius or Fahrenheit can now be used.

My next task is to find a work around for the firewall and UAC problems people are having.  Most firewalls including windows build in firewall block WMI by default.  Vista's UAC also blocks access to remote WMI.  So I will be working on better instruction on how to allow access, and also on a client side service that will update the clients info.

Please let me know if you have any more suggestions.

Friday, December 7, 2007 11:41 PM
  • I have many of my clients being Windows XP Home and there is no such thing called gpedit.msc (standard distributed only with XP Pro)! How can I allow for remote administration in alternative way?

I only see details of server but of no client except the XP Pro one.
    Monday, December 10, 2007 10:28 PM
  •  

I set the DCOM settings and the WMI security on the root and on the WMI section and still no client info, the only way I can get info is to turn UAC off. Is there a trick to this?
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 6:10 PM
  • Hi

Just tried to get this working and getting the "Cannot connect to client ..." error message

i have done the mods using gpedit as posted on 30-Nov by Rex

Have rebooted client pc and no joy

using latest version 1.0.2.17

Has anybody go this working at the moment? Any thing i am missing??

Tim
    Thursday, January 3, 2008 12:04 PM
  •  

Another great resource for getting WMI data is Windows Powershell.  I use it all the time at work and have started to use WMI for the first time in my profession.  For example,  to get a list of services on a remove system I can do the following:

Code Block
    Get-WMIObject Win32_Services -ComputerName SERVER

If I wanted to stop a service on another system I can do something like this:

Code Block

$DnsCacheService = gwmi win32_service -ComputerName mills | Where-Object { $_.name -eq 'Dnscache' }

$DnsCacheService.StopService()

and then to start it again:

Code Block
    $DnsCacheService.StartService()

And something more to the point with WHS.  This will get you Shadow Copy storage sizes. 

Code Block
    gwmi Win32_ShadowStorage -ComputerName SERVER |
     select @{n='AllocatedSpaceGB';e={ [math]::Round([double]$_.AllocatedSpace/1gb, 3) }},
      @{n='UsedSpaceGB';e={ [math]::Round([double]$_.UsedSpace/1gb, 3) }},
      Volume

Thanks,

SQL_Guru

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 3:34 AM
  •  

For those of you who haven't noticed I have released a 2.0 beta version on the site. It should take care of the fire wall problems when the client service is used.  Please try it out and let me know what you think.

Eric Maurer

Friday, January 25, 2008 9:41 PM
  •  

Great program!  I'm using your 2.0 beta.

It took me a little bit of fidding to get all the Vista Clients working correctly.  It kept telling me '/' cannot be used in a name when I tried to set the password for two of the clients.  I think I fat-fingered the keys when I put in the admin password on those two computers.

I don't know if it was just me or what but just clicking Refresh after putting in the password for a client didn't do anything.  It took Query Clients and then Refresh.

Question:  How do you get a WinXP Pro Client to work?

Question: If you are accepting items for a wish list I would sure like to see the ability to print the reports.

Thanks a lot for the add-in.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 8:45 PM
  •  

Sync Add-In??????
    Friday, June 20, 2008 10:52 PM
  •  Rex Geissinger wrote:

Great Addin with the exception of the caveat listed below, After Installing 1.0.2 all my clients were visable but no information was available there was an error message when you tried to expand the tree for the clients. I verified the WMI service was running on all the clients. I then used the method below to allow the firewall to pass WMI info to the server. this method allows only the IP address of the server to request/get this information.

Allow for remote administration

1. Click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
    2. Under Console Root, expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand Network, expand Network Connections, expand Windows Firewall, and then click Standard Profile.
    3. Right-click Windows Firewall: Allow remote administration exception, and then click Properties.

Click Enabled, add your servers IP address and then click Apply and OK

Hope this helps others having problems getting info displayed in the Console... Note that it will take much longer to open the console than it used to as this info is automatically refreshed on opening the console. It would probably be much better if the addin did not try to fetch this info every time the console starts, just when you manually hit refresh.

with 6 clients on my network it takes a about 1 minute to refresh, It took almost 4 minutes before I made the change to allow remote administration because it had to wait for a timeout for each machine before the console would open

Rex Geissinger

Good post. I had been having trouble going the other way (client to whs) via WMI so I performed the steps you listed on the whs and, shazaam...it worked. Thanks a bunch.
    Friday, June 27, 2008 5:25 AM