Screen Saver on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Screen Saver on my WHS doesn't work properly. Its behavior is somewhat random.

1. Earlier, It didn't start during day but started in the night and switched off the monitor also.
    2. But yesterday night, it didn't work throughout night.
    3. Whenever I find it is not working, it starts working again  once I go to "Display Properties", go to "Screen Saver" tab and click "OK".

I never faced such a situation on any other machine. Is it a bug on WHS?

ThanQ...

Monday, March 26, 2007 7:40 PM

Answers

• Possibly, but the only way you're going to know about it is if you have a monitor connected. The installation instructions tell you, at the end of the install process, to disconnect your keyboard, video, and mouse, because WHS is intended to be a headless server appliance, not another workstation.
    Monday, March 26, 2007 9:26 PM

All replies

• Possibly, but the only way you're going to know about it is if you have a monitor connected. The installation instructions tell you, at the end of the install process, to disconnect your keyboard, video, and mouse, because WHS is intended to be a headless server appliance, not another workstation.
  • What Ken said.  Let's face it, on a "headless" server, a screen saver is totally unnecessary.  And if you're concerned about your monitor attached to the server, just turn the monitor off when you're not actively using it...which should be all the time.
  • Agreed, it is suppose to be a headless machine. But it is a home server. So I may like to allocate a sparingly used machine as server.

Unfortunately, I have serial port only on this machine, and I do have some devices which talk and spit through only serial ports and I don't have USB drivers for them to use with a serial-to-USB adapter.

Also, if the display output is coming constantly then more juice is being consumed, a drain on my power dollars. So the display adapter should be set to sleep mode without fail. Don't you agree?

ThanQ...

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 2:24 AM