How do I get rid of these reminders? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very old computer with wondows 2000 and after updating programs on it, the computer keeps telling me that i don't have genuine wondows software, i get that and now i just want all the reminders to go away. I'm probably not even going to have this computer for very long because its so old and all i want to do is basic stuff on it, is there some way to turn off these reminders that come on every time i go on my computer and that are contanstantly on my desktop?

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Editor Tuesday, July 7, 2009 10:27 PM Moved to proper category. (From:Feedback and Comments)
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 7:59 PM

Answers

• Hello ihate,

The WGA Non-Genuine reminder is designed to remind the user that their copy of Windows is Non-Genuine. If I read your post correctly, you concede that your copy of Windows is, in fact, Non-Genuine (correct me if I misunderstood your meaning) and therefore the WGA Non-Genuine Reminder is working as designed.

If you wish to make the Reminders go away, the best way to do so is to install a Genuine copy of Windows.

Thank you for your post and have a pleasant day,
    Darin MS 

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:22 PM

All replies

• Hello ihate...,

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a Repy in this message thread.

Step 2 is telling us about the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) that may be on the computer itself on on the retail Windows packaging that you may have. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the full Product Key that may be printed on the CoA.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:01 AM
  • I'm not concerned about what's wrong with my computer but just how to stop the reminders. I've tried all the things listed on your website and I don't even think that this computer is even worth the cost of getting genuine microsoft software, but the reminders keep popping up and staying there and removing my desktop images to black....is there anyway to turn them off??? That's all I want to know
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 1:19 AM
  • Hello ihate...,

This is what we do here... ;-)

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a Repy in this message thread.

Step 2 is telling us about the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) that may be on the computer itself on on the retail Windows packaging that you may have. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the full Product Key that may be printed on the CoA.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:14 AM
  • I have a desktop PC with the original Windows XP disk. Everything was working fine for 2 or 3 years, then suddenly I started getting these Windows Genuine Notification pop-ups. I have just run the utility you mentioned and got the following. The important thing is the first line "Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID" that comes up in red. Can you help?

Thanks!

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID
    Validation Code: 13
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key:   [DELETED]
    Windows Product Key Hash:   [DELETED]
    Windows Product ID: 76487-640-8365391-23487
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {A53A5BE0-DB84-4BD8-AABC-EBE3F031BF4D}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.8.31.9
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 13
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.8.31.9
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{A53A5BE0-DB84-4BD8-AABC-EBE3F031BF4D}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VPK3J</PKey><PID>76487-640-8365391-23487</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1202660629-1275210071-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>SiS Technology Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>SiS661FX + SiS964</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20040618000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>A9BB3ED70184A063</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.8.31.9"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.8.31.9"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1B9F7:Elitegroup Computer Systems Co Ltd
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A 

Thursday, July 9, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Hello RonWest_UK,

If you are experiencing a Non-Genuine issue, please create your own thread and post your Diagnostic Report there. Along with a description of the issue.  Please Do Not edit your Diagnostic Report when you post it again.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:15 PM
  • Hello ihate,

The WGA Non-Genuine reminder is designed to remind the user that their copy of Windows is Non-Genuine. If I read your post correctly, you concede that your copy of Windows is, in fact, Non-Genuine (correct me if I misunderstood your meaning) and therefore the WGA Non-Genuine Reminder is working as designed.

If you wish to make the Reminders go away, the best way to do so is to install a Genuine copy of Windows.

Thank you for your post and have a pleasant day,
    Darin MS 

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:22 PM