No reinstallation option RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to re-install using a trial version of WHS.  I had a primary disk fail and am trying to go through the proceedure for replacing the system drive.  Unfortunately, there is no option to select reinstallation... only new installation.  Is this a 'feature' of the trial?  I'm considering buying WHS, but the lack of MS support makes me quite concerned about using this as a long term solution.

Thanks,

Mark
    Friday, May 8, 2009 2:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Mark,
    to get a server reinstall offered, there are some prerequisites (which you as OEM have to fullfill yourself, otherwise the company, which builds the hardware based WHS appliance, will do that):
    The system disk must be connected to the first port and selectec as boot disk in Bios.
    All data drives belonging to the storage pool must be connected and detected. This is easier with SATA controller working in IDE compatibility mode, since otherwise the SATA drivers play a huge role. (Windows Home Server does not include those, since it is based on Windows Server 2003.)
    The data drives must be readable in a certain stage of setup (the installation routine checks for certain information on the drives, if this is not found, a server reinstall is not offered).
    The new system drive must be seen as disk 0.
    And as a last prerequisite: luck ;-)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, May 8, 2009 8:35 AM
  • Hi Mark,
    if the disks are detected, this should be fine.
    The strange part is now the fact, that one of the disks seems not to be labeled as DATA (at least I read so), since all data volumes have this label. Maybe this is the reason, why you don't get a server reinstall offered.

If that does not work out, you can do a fresh installation with the data volumes detached physically and follow the method in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

Olaf
    Friday, May 8, 2009 9:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark,
    to get a server reinstall offered, there are some prerequisites (which you as OEM have to fullfill yourself, otherwise the company, which builds the hardware based WHS appliance, will do that):
    The system disk must be connected to the first port and selectec as boot disk in Bios.
    All data drives belonging to the storage pool must be connected and detected. This is easier with SATA controller working in IDE compatibility mode, since otherwise the SATA drivers play a huge role. (Windows Home Server does not include those, since it is based on Windows Server 2003.)
    The data drives must be readable in a certain stage of setup (the installation routine checks for certain information on the drives, if this is not found, a server reinstall is not offered).
    The new system drive must be seen as disk 0.
    And as a last prerequisite: luck ;-)

Olaf
    Friday, May 8, 2009 8:35 AM
  • Hi Olaf,
      First, thanks for your reply.  I am using SATA disks and the primary I'm replacing is in the disk 0 position. I have not done anything special in the configuration though.  Both disks (the new primary, and the old secondary) are detected in the prior step.  Do I need to do something specific to configure the controller or maybe add a SATA driver?  I don't think this is necessary since both drives are detected.  BTW - there are actually three entries listed.  disk0 - the new drive I am replacing, disk1 - the second drive that holds the duplicate data and another entry that seems to be a duplicate of the secondary drive and mentions the label as DATA.

Thanks,

Mark
    Friday, May 8, 2009 2:01 PM
  • Hi Mark,
    if the disks are detected, this should be fine.
    The strange part is now the fact, that one of the disks seems not to be labeled as DATA (at least I read so), since all data volumes have this label. Maybe this is the reason, why you don't get a server reinstall offered.

If that does not work out, you can do a fresh installation with the data volumes detached physically and follow the method in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

Olaf
    Friday, May 8, 2009 9:35 PM