none
Laptop Install RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone else have WHS installed on a laptop?  My fastest system until my new parts come in is my Dell E1705.  So I installed it on there and haven't really had many problems other than my sound doesn't work as of yet.  But otherwise it seems to be ticking along really well.  Granted my laptop is prob more powerful than most people's desktop machines.  It seems to do ok.  I was really scared of the SATA issues that some people are having but it seems as though the chip that Dell uses doesn't seem to be affected by it.

As this is my main computer, desktop replacement for me.  I find it interesting that I am able to use it in this format.  I have two other computers on my network here at home one desktop and one laptop.  I am building a dedicated server in the next couple weeks to actually run WHS on.

I just wanted to let folks know that it seems to work out ok on laptops, atleast mine anyways. 

Specs just for those interested.

Dell E1705

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 T7200

2gigs DDR 667

80gig 7200rpm SATA

17" 1920x1200 native Bright screen

GeForce Go 7900GS 256meg card

802.11 Draft.N. Wireless

Bluetooth and 1394 Firewire.

I haven't gotten the bluetooth to install yet but the Draft N is working flawlessly as I am surfing on it right now too.  I have also gotten my Sprint PCS highspeed usb to work so i can surf while i am driving.  Or rather download and recieve emails and stuff.

What would prove interesting is if I can control my home computers via internet so that I can set permissions and stuff.  This would be very interesting for parents who travel and want to still keep track of their kids and also allow access to certain files and stuff.  Or for two people who travel or maybe even a small office of somesorts. 

Friday, March 9, 2007 4:50 PM

All replies

• I can see why you might want to have WHS on a laptop. Thus  as you stated you want to be able to still connect to your home PCs and see what they're doing, and change rights if need be.

The bad thing with this is that as soon as you unplug any Server from the network its now usless. All the other systems would just work as stand alones, or just in a basic workgroup.

For your idea I would almost have to say that you should setup the WHS system and have your remote desktop setup so you can do the changes. Thus the reason WHS is supposed to be a headless system once it launches.

Friday, March 9, 2007 5:07 PM
  • That is true.  I didn't think about that. 

I will be moving this drive over to the server when my stuff gets in.  But that wont be for  couple weeks. 

Unless I set it up as a WAN but then that takes this out of the realm of just a home setup.  But it does show how versitile the software is being as I had no problem of installing and using it to its full capability on my laptop.

Friday, March 9, 2007 9:49 PM