Hard drive not found RRS feed

• Question

• I have an IBM Intellistation M Pro with 1.7 Ghz P4 processor, 512MB memory and 2 WD Caviar SE 320GB HDD. When I boot for installation, during the hardware discovery, I get the following error:

"Hard drive capable of hosting WHS was not found. Would you like to load additional storage drivers." The were incorrectly listed (sized) in the BIOS, so I updated. They are now correctly listed in BIOS, but still not found in WHS.

Any suggestions? 

Friday, April 27, 2007 3:22 AM

Answers

• No, the drives are IDE. I managed to get the install to work. The drives were brand new, so I downloaded the WD utilitys, created some partitions, and the installation went without a hitch.
    Friday, April 27, 2007 5:59 AM
  • Had the same thing happen to me. It wasn't necesary to create partitions. All you needed to do was disconnect the second drive and WHS will install on the first then just reconnect the second drive after the install has finished and add the drive. Not sure if this is considered a bug or not but initially installing with a single drive connected works where 2 doesn't. Has anyone been able to install with 2 new completely unpartitioned and unformatted drives connected?
    Monday, April 30, 2007 3:28 AM

All replies

• Are the HD's SATA? If so, did you correctly marked them as such in your BIOS?
    Friday, April 27, 2007 5:50 AM
  • No, the drives are IDE. I managed to get the install to work. The drives were brand new, so I downloaded the WD utilitys, created some partitions, and the installation went without a hitch.
    Friday, April 27, 2007 5:59 AM
  • Had the same thing happen to me. It wasn't necesary to create partitions. All you needed to do was disconnect the second drive and WHS will install on the first then just reconnect the second drive after the install has finished and add the drive. Not sure if this is considered a bug or not but initially installing with a single drive connected works where 2 doesn't. Has anyone been able to install with 2 new completely unpartitioned and unformatted drives connected?
    Monday, April 30, 2007 3:28 AM
  • Never a bad idea to have more than 1 solution. I did not think to try the drives one at a time. Thanks!
    Monday, April 30, 2007 3:46 AM
  • I was attempting to install WHS on a Abit K8N Neo2 with 3 new Seagate 500's and a "used" Seagate 300. All 4 drives are SATA with the Optical as the Master on the 2ed IDE connector. I too could not install WHS as it failed with a message about WHS could not be installed.. need drivers.. The drives all showed up in the Bios. My solution was to add another IDE drive as master and the DVD drive as slave on the IDE channel. The system was then able to "see" all my  SATA drives. One would hope this is a "bug" and it will be corrected. My system has the ability to boot off the SATA drives so I'm not sure why this has happened. This is preventing me from choosing where the OS is installed. The installation has been error free besides this problem.  Its to soon to comment on anything else at this early stage of my installation.

Jeff
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 4:04 AM
  • This was really good advice.  I had the exact same issue using three Hitachi SATA drives and it worked like a champ.  My mother board could see all the drives just fine.  I guess WHS couldn't make sense of all three at the same time.  Thanks for listing this solution.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 1:34 AM
  • I didn't run into any issues myself, but only because I installed one drive at a time and they have all been IDE thus far. Now I did try another whole setup that after 9 BSOD's in a row I am suspecting that one or both CPU's are bad (dual socket 370 boards). Nice to know that if I try another setup with SATA that I install one at a time to avoid issues.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 4:58 AM
  • I had the same issue.  Finally got my 2 new 500gb sata drives to set up WHS with (no other drives on system) and it would not detect either drive.  I unplugged one of the drives and it started the install.  I'm in the middle of that now - plan on adding a couple of ide 320gb drives I have on some other systems later.
    Monday, May 14, 2007 4:18 AM
  • Thank you for the advice here - I had the same problem, and this post really helped. Will acknowledge on my WHS weblog.

Cheers!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 1:01 PM