Front-end Service stops after deploying CWA RRS feed

• Question

•  

After deploying the CWA to a front-end server the front-end service stops on the OCS Server.  I receive an error when trying to start it and the event viewer shows an Event ID of 14517 [OCS Protocol Stack]. 

The server configuration validation mechanism detected some serious problems.

1 errors and 0 warnings were detected.

ERRORS:

Two server roles at FQDN [servername.mydomain.com] have different server version numbers. First server has GUID {8BE9003B-7E63-3A45-85AB-27ABCC61D225} and role 'Communicator Web Access Server' (version 3). Second server has GUID {2EF13F4C-DFFA-8648-9A8F-93FD8EDBC9B3} and role 'Enterprise Edition' (version 2).

WARNINGS:

No warnings

Cause: The configuration is invalid and the server might not behave as expected.

Resolution:

Review and correct the errors listed above. You also wish to review any warnings present.

The next event  is 14497

Then I get 14492 with the following description:

The following known servers were recognized on startup:

Server: frontendserver.mydomain.com; UniqueID: {2EF13F4C-DFFA-8648-9A8F-93FD8EDBC9B3}; Role: Enterprise Edition

Server: ocs2007server.mydomain.com; UniqueID: {F8789403-401D-8343-8454-DD555EB0D354}; Role: Enterprise Edition

Server: ocs2007server.mydomain.com; UniqueID: {E2D8F7D1-DB08-2E43-B39D-89D4395630AE}; Role: Conferencing Server; Type: chat; Vendor: Microsoft Corporation

Server: ocs2007server.mydomain.com; UniqueID: {862D193A-497C-D841-B314-74F1E6159213}; Role: Conferencing Server; Type: phone-conf; Vendor: Microsoft Corporation

Server: ocs2007server.mydomain.com; UniqueID: {F7F8A30D-CC01-5D45-9A3C-11BC0E5A5DE3}; Role: Conferencing Server; Type: meeting; Vendor: Microsoft Corporation

Server: ocs2007server.mydomain.com; UniqueID: {F718E2B0-B93C-2341-B2EB-B184E36C2852}; Role: Conferencing Server; Type: audio-video; Vendor: Microsoft Corporation

Server: frontendserver.mydomain.com; UniqueID: {8BE9003B-7E63-3A45-85AB-27ABCC61D225}; Role: Communicator Web Access Server

Then another Error (14352):

Failed starting the protocol stack. The service has to stop

Error code is:0xC3E93C47 (No Message Text Found).

Cause: Check the previous entries in the event log for the failure reason.

Resolution:

Try restarting the server after resolving the failures listed in the previous event log entries.

And finally I get error 12326:

Failed starting the protocol stack.  The service has to stop.

Error code is:0xC3E93C47 (No Message Text Found).

Cause: Check the previous entries in the event log for the failure reason.

Resolution:

Try restarting the server after resolving the failures listed in the previous event log entries.

As soon as I remove the CWA from the front-end server, the service will start up just fine.  I've tried looking all over the registry for any reference to a previous version but I can't seem to find anything. 

I've also reloaded the OS on my Front-end server with a clean install and I've done the same on my back-end OCS 2007 server (fresh install of OS and OCS). 

I posted these errors on a previous thread and it was closed due to a lack of response (back in early April).  I've gone through all of the suggestions from Bernd and have not had any luck.  

Thanks!

Bernd, my email address is: 

02hawkeye@gmail.com

Thursday, May 31, 2007 3:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I just sent you a mail.

We will post the results after we finished troubleshooting.

Thanks

Bernd

Friday, June 1, 2007 7:00 AM
  • Thank you Bernd for all your help.  I was able to solve the problem with your assistance. 

Since I was receiving an event id saying that it was detecting two different version numbers, I had completely removed Office Communications Server 2007 and reloaded the operating system on both the backend server (Standard Edition) and the front end server where I had Communicator Web Access installed.  It appeared that I still had some lingering LCS 2005 items in my environment causing problems.  I should note that I previously had LCS 2005 deployed in this test environment and then deactivated (or at least thought I deactivated) and removed this installation before deploying OCS 2007. This is where Bernd was able to provide some helpful troubleshooting advice to me to allow the front-end service to start.

1.  On my OCS 2007 server, I went to the Run line and typed in wbemtest.

2.  I clicked the Connect button, and in the Namespace typed in root\cimv2

3.  Click on the Enum Classes button and another window will open up, click OK without typing anything in the text box

4.  In the Query Result page,  look for MSFT_SIPESTrustedServerSetting, double click it

5.  This will open up the object editor for MSFT_SIPESTrustedServerSetting, click on the Instances button on right hand side

6.  In my case, I had two instances listed.  The two instances listed were the GUID's from the event id 14517 (version 2 and version 3)

(if you are unsure of which one is version 2 and which one is version 3, just double click on one of them and then click on the Local Only box.  You will see a Version listed there which will show either 2 or 3).

7.  Click on the instance that you would like to remove and click on Delete.  If you receive an error stating that the Provider is not capable of the attempted Operation (or some other message that only gives you the option to Dismiss or click More Info.)

8.  The only way to remove this instance was through the command line using LCSCMD.EXE

9.  Go to a command prompt and navigate to the location of lcscmd.exe

10.  Run the following command to get rid of the duplicate MSFT_SIPEsTrustedServerSetting instance with version 2 set:

Code Snippet
    lcscmd /server:<FQDN of the CWA server> /action:deactivate /force:1 /role:SE

11.  I then restarted both the CWA server and the OCS SE server and the front-end service started successfully. 

I hope this helps anyone else who is experiencing this problem.  Thanks again Bernd for reproducing this in your environment!!

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 7:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I just sent you a mail.

We will post the results after we finished troubleshooting.

Thanks

Bernd

Friday, June 1, 2007 7:00 AM
  • Thank you Bernd for all your help.  I was able to solve the problem with your assistance. 

Since I was receiving an event id saying that it was detecting two different version numbers, I had completely removed Office Communications Server 2007 and reloaded the operating system on both the backend server (Standard Edition) and the front end server where I had Communicator Web Access installed.  It appeared that I still had some lingering LCS 2005 items in my environment causing problems.  I should note that I previously had LCS 2005 deployed in this test environment and then deactivated (or at least thought I deactivated) and removed this installation before deploying OCS 2007. This is where Bernd was able to provide some helpful troubleshooting advice to me to allow the front-end service to start.

1.  On my OCS 2007 server, I went to the Run line and typed in wbemtest.

2.  I clicked the Connect button, and in the Namespace typed in root\cimv2

3.  Click on the Enum Classes button and another window will open up, click OK without typing anything in the text box

4.  In the Query Result page,  look for MSFT_SIPESTrustedServerSetting, double click it

5.  This will open up the object editor for MSFT_SIPESTrustedServerSetting, click on the Instances button on right hand side

6.  In my case, I had two instances listed.  The two instances listed were the GUID's from the event id 14517 (version 2 and version 3)

(if you are unsure of which one is version 2 and which one is version 3, just double click on one of them and then click on the Local Only box.  You will see a Version listed there which will show either 2 or 3).

7.  Click on the instance that you would like to remove and click on Delete.  If you receive an error stating that the Provider is not capable of the attempted Operation (or some other message that only gives you the option to Dismiss or click More Info.)

8.  The only way to remove this instance was through the command line using LCSCMD.EXE

9.  Go to a command prompt and navigate to the location of lcscmd.exe

10.  Run the following command to get rid of the duplicate MSFT_SIPEsTrustedServerSetting instance with version 2 set:

Code Snippet
    lcscmd /server:<FQDN of the CWA server> /action:deactivate /force:1 /role:SE

11.  I then restarted both the CWA server and the OCS SE server and the front-end service started successfully. 

I hope this helps anyone else who is experiencing this problem.  Thanks again Bernd for reproducing this in your environment!!

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 7:51 PM
  • I am stuck at a similar type error. Proxy Stack errors and mixed version errors.
    Originally the error occured when I swapped certs. The Front End would not restart. I have since completely uninstalled and reinstalled. All other services appear to start up fine and install gives no errors other than can not validate because the Front- end service won't start.
    Using what you indicated above I went through every class attempting to find my version errors but could not find them. How were you able to trace the SIPESTrustedServerSetting to from the Guid?

My Guid error is here:
    Two server roles at FQDN [server.domain.net] have different 'Treat As Authenticated' options. First server has GUID {0C580605-8CE2-4956-ADD5-4B372979F98B} and role 'Enterprise Edition' (option is set). Second server has GUID {E7D23D94-B54D-59A1-845B-421321525769} and role 'Edge Server' (option is not set).
    Two server roles at FQDN [server.domain.net] have different server version numbers. First server has GUID {0C580605-8CE2-4956-ADD5-4B372979F98B} and role 'Enterprise Edition' (version 3). Second server has GUID {E7D23D94-B54D-59A1-845B-421321525769} and role 'Edge Server' (version 0).

One thing that looks odd is that I have no trusted services at all.
    Should RTCSrv not be a trusted service?

OCS Protocol Stack
    Error: 14517

OCS Protocol Stack
    Error: 14497

OCS Protocol Stack
    Error: 14352

OCS Protocol Stack
    Error: 12326

Error code is:0xC3E93C47 (SIPPROXY_E_BAD_SERVER_CONFIGURATION).

Saturday, December 1, 2007 7:43 PM
  • hiya,

This is great information....

I have two of those entries but how do I delete the other one? Simply, Ive tried

lcscmd /server:<FQDN of the CWA server> /actionBig Smileeactivate /force:1 /roleTongue TiedE

lcscmd /server:<FQDN of the CWA server> /actionBig Smileeactivate /force:1 /role:EE

lcscmd /server:<FQDN of the CWA server> /actionBig Smileeactivate /force:1 /roleStick out tongueroxy

but the version I want to delete is still there.... how do I delete both so I can start again with activating server?

Cheers

Glennzo

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:17 AM
  • *Bump*

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 3:07 PM