Office validation on new computer RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed my Office on a new computer.  The old computer doesn't work so I can't uninstall on the old one.  Now my software is not valid.  What is the process to revalidate this on my new computer?
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 8:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Westwn,

Can you run our diagnostic tool so we can see exactly which validaiton failure you are getting?

1)      Logon to the PC that is experiencing the notifications as a user with ADMIN rights.

2)      Download the tool:   http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 click RUN.

3)      When the tool loads, click CONTINUE.

4)      Is the RESOLVE button available?  If so, please click RESOLVE to allow the diagnostic tool to repair the issue.

5)      From the Windows tab, click the COPY button.

6)      Reply back to this post and PASTE the results.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Monday, February 19, 2007 9:56 PM
  •  westwn wrote:

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 104 Unknown PID
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.20.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-150-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_B4D0AA8B-817-80070057

Hi Westwn,

Can you try the following steps (please make sure to have the product key for Office available).

1) Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\
    2) Delete the data.dat file.
    3) This data.dat file is for Office (not OGA).
    4) Once the file has been deleted, open an Office application such as MS Word and ACTIVATE it.
    5) After product activation is successful, let’s try revalidating (this is the OGA part; Office Genuine Advantage): http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en

Please let us know how this works.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:55 AM
  •  westwn wrote:

In c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\microsoft\office\data\

The only file present is OPA11.bak.

The Office version is 2000 Pro, which I bought new.  I'm concerned about upgrading it to a newer version, as it doesn't show as valid when run through the check on your web site.  Is this a concern or will it upgrade successfully?

Hi Westwn,

Are you sure you've got Office 2000?  The diagnostic shows Office 11 (which is Office 2003).  Today the only Office products that are part of the Office Genuine Validation program are:  Office XP, Office 2003 and Office 2007. 

Did the validation failure details on the web page oultine all of the products installed on your PC, because it will state which one is not genuine or having the issue.

If you do choose to upgrade a copy that fails validation to another version of Office, you should not have any issue.  The other thing you could try is uninstalling your old Office version and reinstalling it in case any files are corrupt.

Please confirm.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Friday, February 23, 2007 7:21 PM
  •  westwn wrote:

Hello Michelle,

First, thank you for all your help. 

There is One Note on the computer which came with it when I purchased it, which may be why diagnostics show Office 2003.  The Office Professional version is definitely 2000, as both my disk and  the Help-About selection say so.  When I ran Office Validiation, it came back saying Office failed validation and didn't specify a particular program. 

If it won't pose any issues for an upgrade, I won't worry about the validation issue go ahead with the upgrade purchase and see what happens then... 

Thanks again. 

Regards,

Nancy.

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for the additional information about OneNote, that explains the diagnostic result. 

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any issues with upgrading!!! 

Good luck and thanks for contacting us.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Sunday, February 25, 2007 8:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Westwn,

Can you run our diagnostic tool so we can see exactly which validaiton failure you are getting?

1)      Logon to the PC that is experiencing the notifications as a user with ADMIN rights.

2)      Download the tool:   http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 click RUN.

3)      When the tool loads, click CONTINUE.

4)      Is the RESOLVE button available?  If so, please click RESOLVE to allow the diagnostic tool to repair the issue.

5)      From the Windows tab, click the COPY button.

6)      Reply back to this post and PASTE the results.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Monday, February 19, 2007 9:56 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-DF4RC-97FHM-X2QW3
    Windows Product Key Hash: XTz8OsI6pC7phfUCCVtwV5AHJKs=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00817
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med
    ID: f8fc4f2d-6f2d-4a9a-851e-a0ac8835edf6
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-150-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_B4D0AA8B-817-80070057

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>f8fc4f2d-6f2d-4a9a-851e-a0ac8835edf6</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-X2QW3</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00817</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2833468194-511906544-3985508151</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Model>Satellite A100</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies LTD</Manufacturer><Version>2.00   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20060830000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>TOSHIBA,TOSHIBA</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>A0303907018400EE</HWID><UserLCID>1009</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>TOSHIBA</name><model>MSAT010AIV03</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>104</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91A10409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>104</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office OneNote 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><PidType>0</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:29 AM
  •  westwn wrote:

OGA Data-->

Hi Westwn,

Can you try the following steps (please make sure to have the product key for Office available).

1) Go to: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\
    2) Delete the data.dat file.
    3) This data.dat file is for Office (not OGA).
    4) Once the file has been deleted, open an Office application such as MS Word and ACTIVATE it.
    5) After product activation is successful, let’s try revalidating (this is the OGA part; Office Genuine Advantage): http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en

Please let us know how this works.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:55 AM
  • In c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\microsoft\office\data\

The Office version is 2000 Pro, which I bought new.  I'm concerned about upgrading it to a newer version, as it doesn't show as valid when run through the check on your web site.  Is this a concern or will it upgrade successfully?

Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:13 AM
  •  westwn wrote:

In c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\microsoft\office\data\

Hi Westwn,

Are you sure you've got Office 2000?  The diagnostic shows Office 11 (which is Office 2003).  Today the only Office products that are part of the Office Genuine Validation program are:  Office XP, Office 2003 and Office 2007. 

Did the validation failure details on the web page oultine all of the products installed on your PC, because it will state which one is not genuine or having the issue.

If you do choose to upgrade a copy that fails validation to another version of Office, you should not have any issue.  The other thing you could try is uninstalling your old Office version and reinstalling it in case any files are corrupt.

Please confirm.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Friday, February 23, 2007 7:21 PM
  • Hello Michelle,

There is One Note on the computer which came with it when I purchased it, which may be why diagnostics show Office 2003.  The Office Professional version is definitely 2000, as both my disk and  the Help-About selection say so.  When I ran Office Validiation, it came back saying Office failed validation and didn't specify a particular program. 

If it won't pose any issues for an upgrade, I won't worry about the validation issue go ahead with the upgrade purchase and see what happens then... 

Thanks again. 

Regards,

Nancy.

Friday, February 23, 2007 11:44 PM
  •  westwn wrote:

Hello Michelle,

Thanks again. 

Regards,

Nancy.

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for the additional information about OneNote, that explains the diagnostic result. 

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any issues with upgrading!!! 

Good luck and thanks for contacting us.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Sunday, February 25, 2007 8:13 PM