OEM license rejected. What to do now? RRS feed

• Question

• I was under the impression that if I built my own computer by buying all the parts and assembling them together, I could use the OEM version of Windows 7 Professional.  Is that not true?  If not, what to do next?  If I buy a retail version and install it, do I have to re-format the hard drive and start all over?

Gene Forrest

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 2:05 AM

Answers

• "Gene Forrest" wrote in message news:01d0d7e7-5d44-4b57-a5d7-7c8e0d649350...

Thanks for your reply, Dan.  I guess I should have looked into this more than I did.  I was not aware of an OEM Preinstallation Kit.

I still need to know if I have to start all over if I buy the retail version and install it.  Or can I just insert the retail version DVD without re-formatting the drive?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gene Forrest

What makes you think the License is invalid? - certainly, I've done what you described a number of times, with no problems.
    (most small hobbyists/jobbing IT people do).

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 7:17 AM
  • Hello Gene Forrest,

If you have an OEM installation of W7 on the computer now, then yes you will have to start over if you want to replace it with a retail installation.  An OEM installation will not accept a product key from a retail licensing kit, and vice versa.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:41 AM

All replies

• Hello Gene Forrest,

You wrote, "I was under the impression that if I built my own computer by buying all the parts and assembling them together, I could use the OEM version of Windows 7 Professional.  Is that not true?"

It is not what the systembuilder/OEM program was designed to accomplish, but technically Yes, it is true.

There are actually two licenses involved when using an OEM licensing kit.  The kit itself is encapsulated by a Systembuilder license from Microsoft to you, the systembuilder.  By removing the licensing kit from its outer packaging, you agree to abide by Microsoft's rules for systembuilders, such as you will not sell the license except as installed onto a new computer system, you will provide support to the end user, and you will use Microsoft's OEM Preinstallation Kit to install the OEM license onto the computer.

The second license is the OEM license from you the systembuilder, to the end user, that permits the end user to use the installation of Windows you installed on their new computer.  The end user must agree to this license before beginning to use the software.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 2:36 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, Dan.  I guess I should have looked into this more than I did.  I was not aware of an OEM Preinstallation Kit.

I still need to know if I have to start all over if I buy the retail version and install it.  Or can I just insert the retail version DVD without re-formatting the drive?

Gene Forrest

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:39 AM
  • "Gene Forrest" wrote in message news:01d0d7e7-5d44-4b57-a5d7-7c8e0d649350...

Thanks for your reply, Dan.  I guess I should have looked into this more than I did.  I was not aware of an OEM Preinstallation Kit.

Gene Forrest

What makes you think the License is invalid? - certainly, I've done what you described a number of times, with no problems.
    (most small hobbyists/jobbing IT people do).

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 7:17 AM
  • Hello Gene Forrest,

If you have an OEM installation of W7 on the computer now, then yes you will have to start over if you want to replace it with a retail installation.  An OEM installation will not accept a product key from a retail licensing kit, and vice versa.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:41 AM