WHS Power Pack 1 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Just took a look at the details of the Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 and it seems the the WHS Team has answered most of the suggestions in this first update.

My suggestion is that the should make it available to members of the Forum now for continued testing before there scheduled release later this year.

I for one will benefit from not mucking arround with multiple software to get some of the "COOL" features in this POWER PACK .

I like what I have read so far, and there is apparantly more to come.

read for yourself http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/archive/2008/01/06/windows-home-server-power-pack-1.aspx

Monday, January 7, 2008 10:24 AM

Answers

• Microsoft does not plan to release Power Pack 1 for public beta testing, sorry.
    Monday, January 7, 2008 12:09 PM

All replies

• Microsoft does not plan to release Power Pack 1 for public beta testing, sorry.
    Monday, January 7, 2008 12:09 PM
  • Ken

I wish for once you were wrong

I guess I will have to wait.

Thanks for the response

Monday, January 7, 2008 12:41 PM
  • I'm a bit confused by one of the screenshots accompanying announcement:

"While adding a hard drive to Windows Home Server, a user is now presented with an option to use the hard drive for backing up the home server."

Screenshot 3 - How do you use the hard drive?

The rest of the accompanying screenshots give the impression that we're able to make a back up of the WHS system itself (i.e. primary partition) but I'm confused, is this screen asking us to choose between exclusively using the additional drive for backups of primary partition data and extending capacity?  If not, then what's the difference in usage being implied? If so, why are they treated as mutually exclusive, considering the client PC backups can happily co-exist with shared folder content, why can't backups of WHS do so as duplicated content across the 2ndary partition?

I understand that more than one drive is needed for folder duplication; and clearly the backup of the primary partition needs to be hosted on a seperate physical drive.

If the purpose is not to be able to backup the primary partition (along with all our drivers, customizations and additional addins and services e.g. TVersity etc.), then I'm really confused - how are backups treated any differently to the existing PC backup mechanism - aside from ensuring that all(?) backups reside on a seperate HDD?

Hopefully all will become clear over the coming weeks...
    Monday, January 7, 2008 9:59 PM
  • The server backup feature lets you take a copy of some or all of your shares, and/or your backup database, and store it off the server. You could, for example, take it off-site. It doesn't back up the system partition.
    Monday, January 7, 2008 10:58 PM
  • Thanks for clarifying that; not quite what I was hoping for but still useful to anyone who wants an off-site backup strategy.

I probably wouldn't use it myself, preferring to opt for folder duplication along with something like JungleDisk.  What I needed (particularly as an owner of a homebuild system) was a quick way of restoring the primary partition should the primary disk fail, knowing that it takes a number of hours to build WHS with the right drivers and preferred/configured services.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 12:13 AM
  • The server backup process will be great!!!     Another suggestion I have is to allow for backup to another server or computer on the network as well.   Sometimes another harddrive or USB drive may not be available.  

Or could this be done by mapping a drive in WHS instead of connecting a new USB or SATA drive?

Thanks,
    Al
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 12:47 AM
  • No, you can't use a mapped or network location to store your "server backups". For one thing, the server is likely to be the main repository of spare storage devices in the average home; where would you put it? For another, the backup feature in PP1 is designed to work entirely within the console. (As is everything with Windows Home Server. As soon as you start thinking about mapping drives, or remote desktop sessions, you've stepped outside the concept of WHS as an easy to use digital appliance for the connected home.)
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 1:30 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Microsoft does not plan to release Power Pack 1 for public beta testing, sorry.

Ken,

I thought I read or saw on Channel 10 that MS was looking into a RC version?  Not that MS does not already have a slew of good testers...LOL.  But it would be cool to get a RC version to test and give feed back on.

Power Pack seems to have some nice functionality that many may choose to utilize. Good work guys!
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:54 AM
  •  judgeschambers wrote:
     Ken Warren wrote:
    Microsoft does not plan to release Power Pack 1 for public beta testing, sorry.

Ken,

I thought I read or saw on Channel 10 that MS was looking into a RC version?  Not that MS does not already have a slew of good testers...LOL.  But it would be cool to get a RC version to test and give feed back on.

Power Pack seems to have some nice functionality that many may choose to utilize. Good work guys!

The RC release has already been given to the select group of beta testers, and Microsoft has no further plans to open up Power Pack 1 beta testing beyond that select group of testers.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 1:44 AM
  • Tom,

That's Cool.

Thanks.
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 6:50 PM
  • It doesn't backup the system partition???  I must say that as much as I love the potential of this product, it's horrendously fragile.  One false move and you're toast.  I've been stuck twice in reboot loops in the week I've been using it.  I've reinstalled.  The Windows Updates this morning (I think IE 7, .NET 2 SP1, and Malicious Software Removal Tool) caused the second boot loop.  Last Known Good saved me after Safe Mode proved competely useless.  So long as little change have the ability to FUBAR this product, there needs to be a way to reliably undo damages.  System Restore, something.  If I actually felt like having a true Win 2003 server at home, I know there are imaging programs that would allow me to have a complete recovery in the event of disaster.  WHS needs something.

Saturday, February 2, 2008 3:51 PM
  • Could someone verify for me whether or not this will allow for system backup? In my mind it would be horrible if there is no way to back up the system partition.

On the same topic, if it will not do that is there an alternative out there for it?
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:08 PM
  • Power Pack 1 will not permit you to back up the system partition.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:51 PM
  • What do you want to preserve on the system partition? If you are running a standard WHS setup, the Reinstall option means you just need to re-setup the user accounts and the add-ins. If you are running something else (I run a mail server plus Sharepoint) you can try NTBackup but exclude the C:\FS folder otherwise things will get unpredictable. Also, don't backup to a WHS share otherwise your backup file will get corrupted.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 8:59 PM
  •  BGood2 wrote:
    It doesn't backup the system partition???  I must say that as much as I love the potential of this product, it's horrendously fragile.  One false move and you're toast.  I've been stuck twice in reboot loops in the week I've been using it.  I've reinstalled.  The Windows Updates this morning (I think IE 7, .NET 2 SP1, and Malicious Software Removal Tool) caused the second boot loop.  Last Known Good saved me after Safe Mode proved competely useless.  So long as little change have the ability to FUBAR this product, there needs to be a way to reliably undo damages.  System Restore, something.  If I actually felt like having a true Win 2003 server at home, I know there are imaging programs that would allow me to have a complete recovery in the event of disaster.  WHS needs something.

I concur on the fragility of the current WHS product.  The very first time I was forced to do a manual power cycle because of a system lockup my registry was toast, and nothing short of the 1.5 to 2 hour server reinstall would fix the problem.

This thing simply does not handle unexpected shutdowns well.

Some sort of backup solution or 'strengthening' of WHS is needed.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 4:20 PM
  • Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't WHS built on dynamic partitions? If so then if the hard drive the OS was on died than the other drives with the stored files, photos, etc. would not be able to be read on any other computer.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 4:23 PM
  • You're wrong!

The data files on WHS disks can be read on any Windows machine that recognises NTFS partions.

Colin

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 6:51 PM
  • I stand corrected Smile I guess I will have to chew out my Computer Science teacher...
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 12:18 AM
  •  

Can't we just use ntbackup and fire off a system state backup in order to protect the WHS system partition? That's how I've been running my backup process anyway... I've got a RAID 10 for the data from my protected machiens, and I'm putting the system state .bkf file from the C:\ of the WHS out there too... should this not be working? or is this working but backing up useless information for the purposes of rebuilding a failed installation? SO many questions

Also - anyone have a rough guess other than 'first half' for when FP1 is being RTM'd?

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 12:15 AM
  • Power Pack 1 (not FP1) should be released around the half year mark - June/July timeframe. There is no other specific date at this time. When a more specific timeframe becomes available it will get posted.

Andrew

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:15 PM
  • System state backups capture things like the registry. They do this at a point in time; as soon as you move on from that point in time, they're out of date. On most systems, the differences will be minor, but WHS stores a lot of it's own state in the registry. As soon as you add/remove users, shares, computers, or drives, you have critical registry entries in the backup that don't match reality any more. At best, when you restore from that backup you lose whatever changes you made, and have to figure out why you can't manage something that you should be able to. At worst, Windows Home Server starts throwing errors and goes belly up, because your restored system state shows that there should be something present that is now missing.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:41 PM
  • when are they planning to release power pack 1 any thing more specific than the first half of this year
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 4:26 AM
  • The most recent information that Microsoft has made available is still "H108" I'm afraid.

You should watch the Windows Home Server team blog for further updates.
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 4:46 AM
  •  

Hi,

I have a question from a developer standpoin about WHS PP1.

I am trying to create a photo browsing plugin using Desktop search and Silverlight. the problem is that as far as I know, WHS have out of the box ASP.net 2 (where 3.5 seems needed to use silverlight) and Desktop Search 2 (where only the v3 fetch vista picture tags).

So for my WHS I had to install both ASP.Net 3.5 and WDS 3.01 to start working. So I want to know is microsoft plan to bundle these "updates" to WHS with WHS PP1 or if I will have to ask user to install these before using my plugin.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:45 AM
  • Currently they are not included as part of PP1 that I know of, and I would doubt this will change. I think you will have to get the user to install it themselves to use your plugin.

Andrew

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:51 AM
  • Well I think it would be a shame if it stayed this way because WDS 3.01 is a great asset for WDS (and there is a Windows Server 2003 version of Desktop search 3.01) and Silverlight should be way more used on WHS.

Should I create a suggestion on Connect for this ?

To have to ask Microsoft to push primordial software updates on a Microsoft OS update ... what a shame

I just hope that WHS 2.0 will be a showcase of microsoft technologies ...  

Thanks for your answer.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:14 PM
  • First, Windows Desktop Search is already included with WHS. That's what drives the search box on the remote access web site. You could try upgrading your server to 3.01; just be aware that it's possible that you'll break the remote access web site in doing so.

Next, Silverlight is server-agnostic; you just need to register some mime types I believe. So there's no need to "include" Silverlight with WHS. There's also no need for .Net Framework 3.5, unless you need to use the included Silverlight controls in ASP.Net. In that case, you will need to figure out how to embed the .Net Framework 3.5 redistributable package into your add-in installer (which is going to be pretty hefty as a result Smile ).

All that said, yes you should make this suggestion on Connect. That's where Microsoft is gathering product suggestions, bugs, etc.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:59 PM
  •  

I already upgraded my Server to 3.01 and it's working fine (well I still have a "slight problem" to display the keywords : http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2791446&SiteID=1 - if someone could help  )

And I am aware that it could break something in WHS. That's also why I would like it to be bundled in PP1

As for ASP.net 3.5 I actually don't know much about this problem, but when I tried to use the Silverlight Video Streaming  control (from Windows Expression Media Encoder without silverlight streaming), nothing was displayed before I installed version 3.5

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 5:04 PM
  • The Video Streaming control is one of those controls that comes with .Net Framework 3.5, yes. As I said, you don't need to update the framework to use Silverlight, just the server-side controls. Until Windows Home Server itself requires .Net Framework 3.5, though, I doubt you'll see it installed "out of the box".
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:54 PM
  • Guys, there has to be a way to back up the system partion...  I've got all my data on here, photos, music, videos, etc.  If I have to re-install the OS the first thing it will do is wipe out all the disks and all my data will be gone.  How can I trust WHS if any problem means I will lose the data I am storing on it?

For now I will dump a copy of the folders off to DVDs so I have a backup of the backup, just seems WHS could easily provide a mirror of the system partion or provide a backup and boot from CD option for the system partition that would get the system back up quickly and make this product a lot more dependable.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 4:14 PM
  • Don

Your data is NOT on the system partition, its on the data partition (even if you only have a single drive).

If you needed to perform a server reinstallation and you ensure that you select Server Reinstallation then your disks are NOT wiped, only the system partition is recreated, your data is left alone.

Andrew

Saturday, March 1, 2008 5:36 PM
  • I just received the following e-mail from Microsoft:

E-mail entitled:  Windows Home Server PowerPack 1 public beta is coming soon!

The Windows Home Server team is pleased to announce details of the public beta of Windows Home Server Power Pack 1. This public beta will include the fix for the data corruption bug described in Knowledge Base article #946676 as well as a host of other bug fixes and new capabilities. The Power Pack 1 download is planned to be available in early June and Beta participants are encouraged to sign up and begin preparing now.

Due to the nature of the shared folder data corruption bug (KB #946676) a broad beta test program with sufficient time for feedback is required. The timeline for a final release will depend on this feedback and testing, in order to deliver a fix of the highest quality. To meet our goals for the beta test we need the number of beta testers who are actively using and testing the Power Pack 1 beta to ramp up very quickly. Therefore we are asking beta testers to begin preparing in advance.

[lots more details...]

Thank you very much for getting ready to beta test Power Pack 1. More details and installation instructions will be sent within the next 1-2 weeks.

Best wishes,

The Windows Home Server team

Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:34 AM
  • Don,

Andrew is 100% correct about not losing your pictures, music and other files stored on WHS when you reinstall the OS.  A server reinstallation will not wipe those files out. You're not alone. Many seem to be confused about the Server Reinstallation and Fresh Install options with the WHS OS. I've done it many times with my testing and all my data on all my drives stay nice and safe each time I reinstall my WHS OS.

Also, same confusion with file "Duplication" feature already built into WHS and the new "secondary backup" features coming with PP1. Each does something totally different for you. The OS backup feature was supposed to be apart of the PP1 release, but if I remember correctly, it is not going to be part of PP1 at this time. Ken Warren has some posts on that specifically.  Check out the posts here and/or the WHS product website for more details.

Hope this helps
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 11:20 AM
  • Micrososft has no plaans at this time for backing up the operating system/system partition. A home server that's used as intended (i.e. all end-user access to the server is done through the console) won't have anything on the system partition that can't be recreated in half an hour or so.

The feature that was pulled because Microsoft felt it wasn't stable enough was backing up your backup database.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 11:39 AM
  • A half hour??? The reinstall itself takes almost an hour. Plus any required drivers. Plus Windows updates. Plus any needed reboots. Plus restarting the console after every add-in. And then you have any non-standard applications.

My story: I did a reinstall yesterday to go from the eval to OEM version. After it was done I created the users again. Spun my wheels for awhile when I, logged in as Administrator, couldn't get to anything on the shares. Doh, I needed to install the drivers, specifically the LAN, before that would work. Then came all 40+ Windows updates. Then reinstall my weather station software and Syncback (for backing up some of the weather data). Then recreate the scheduled tasks.  All together I spent close to three hours on it so far and I haven't added the add-ins yet.

Yes I have a slightly non-standard system but even without that doing a reinstall is not that simple or short of a process.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:31 PM
  • Sorry, I should have been more specific. You are absolutely correct that the reinstallation can take a while. The reinstallation itself could conceivably take days if you have a data pool with terabytes of data. I was speaking of the reconfiguration after you've reinstalled: creating users, setting up backups, reconfiguring security on shares, etc. If you install a lot of extra software (something which is outside the core functionality of Windows Home Server) your time will of course be increased; exactly how much depends on what you've installed.

Well-behaved add-ins should pick up their settings from an application folder where possible (see the WHS SDK for details). Not all add-ins can do so, and not all that can actually make use of application folders.

As a point of reference, I've done exactly the above, including installing/configuring additional software like Readerware on my server, in under an hour (ignoring actual installation time) on more than one occasion.

And while Microsoft is aware that users are interested in backing up their system partition (I suspect they got an earful at MVP Summit Smile I don't need the feature myself, but I certainly emphasized that it's a good thing to have), there are technical considerations which make it difficult to supply that feature in a sufficiently robust format.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:59 PM
  • I apologize if I came across too strongly. It's just that I keep seeing comments about how easy it is to do a reinstall and get back to where your WHS was. And it really isn't that simple, especially for the non-technical crowd that WHS is really meant for.

About the "well behaved" add-ins. Does this apply after a reinstall? Isn't everything lost on the system drive so that any add-in tweaking will have to be redone?

In my single case, once I had installed the drivers, I spent 30-45 minutes max on setting up the users and the extra software. I made sure to docuement/backup the extra stuff ahead of time so it was a piece of cake get that part going. The rest of the 2 hours or so was reinstall/updates/drivers/reinstall connector software. And that's without a pool. (Everything so far still fits on the system/data drive so I've kept the other drives out of the pool until PP1. Important files are still on my main PC as well as in the WHS backups)

Here's hoping MS is able to overcome the technical difficulties because I believe this is an important feature.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 4:41 PM
  • No, you didn't come across too strongly. I was very unclear and brief in my first post.

Since the question has come up before...

In the SDK you'll find documentation of something called "Application Folders." Application folders participate fully in the Drive Extender functionality, so they persist across a server reinstallation, can participate in duplication, etc. HP uses an application folder to store at least some of the content for their Photo Web Share application on the EX47x series, for example. Microsoft themselves use the concept of an application folder to hold your backup database (duplication isn't turned on for the backup database, and probably shouldn't be).

Since application folders persist across a server reinstallation, they can be used to hold information about add-in configuration if desired. Not every add-in should do that, of course. For example, I wouldn't recommend it for the Disk Management add-in that gives you a graphical view of which disk is which in your server. But the capacity to persist that information does exist. I would guess that application folders exist specifically to provide this capability to persist data outside of the shares.

As for reinstallation, I'm going to test something soon (tonight, I hope) that may make the issue much easier to deal with. Or I may hose up my test server and have to reinstall. If so, well <yawn> them's the breaks. Smile

Edit:
    Okay, my alternate, easier method of doing this (read the next to last post on the first page, and the third post on the second page) didn't work. I was going to reimage that server anyway (I use sysprep and put a fresh image down before I install a new version of beta code...) so no big deal.

Create your custom image, create the recovery image, and you can restore much faster.
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:08 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Since application folders persist across a server reinstallation, they can be used to hold information about add-in configuration if desired. Not every add-in should do that, of course. For example, I wouldn't recommend it for the Disk Management add-in that gives you a graphical view of which disk is which in your server.

Hi Ken, I'm curious now - why not use Application Folders for storing configuration for Disk Management?

Sunday, May 25, 2008 8:06 PM
  •  Sam Wood wrote:

Ken Warren wrote:
    Since application folders persist across a server reinstallation, they can be used to hold information about add-in configuration if desired. Not every add-in should do that, of course. For example, I wouldn't recommend it for the Disk Management add-in that gives you a graphical view of which disk is which in your server.

Hi Ken, I'm curious now - why not use Application Folders for storing configuration for Disk Management?

Sam is right.  If you reinstall because a drive fails, only one drive is likely to change.  Altering the data a little would be better than having to recreate all of it.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 8:33 PM
  • I haven't tested extensively, but I'm pretty sure that going through all the stages required to go from Server A to Server A recovered can change some of the information that you're probably using to identify disks. The result for your Disk Management add-in would, I expect, not be pretty.

That's all theoretical, or course. I haven't developed any add-ins and don't really plan to. I can identify application folders as the logical way to persist configuration across a server recovery because they're what I would want to use if I were going to develop an add-in that needed to persist configuration: get the configuration (or a current backup, if there were a reason to keep the configuration in the registry) into Drive Extender in a place where an average WHS end user wouldn't be able to mess with it, i.e. out of the shares. Application folders are the logical location, and they're used for this purpose by HP and (in a way) Microsoft.

If you decide to try it yourself (and you know your code way better than me, so I strongly encourage you to try it if you think I might be wrong) lt us know how it works out. Smile
    Sunday, May 25, 2008 8:37 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    I haven't tested extensively, but I'm pretty sure that going through all the stages required to go from Server A to Server A recovered can change some of the information that you're probably using to identify disks. The result for your Disk Management add-in would, I expect, not be pretty.

That's all theoretical, or course. I haven't developed any add-ins and don't really plan to. I can identify application folders as the logical way to persist configuration across a server recovery because they're what I would want to use if I were going to develop an add-in that needed to persist configuration: get the configuration (or a current backup, if there were a reason to keep the configuration in the registry) into Drive Extender in a place where an average WHS end user wouldn't be able to mess with it, i.e. out of the shares. Application folders are the logical location, and they're used for this purpose by HP and (in a way) Microsoft.

If you decide to try it yourself (and you know your code way better than me, so I strongly encourage you to try it if you think I might be wrong) lt us know how it works out.

I doubt the serial number or connection of the drive is going to change Ken, that's what Sam uses to identify the drive.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 8:49 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    I haven't tested extensively, but I'm pretty sure that going through all the stages required to go from Server A to Server A recovered can change some of the information that you're probably using to identify disks. The result for your Disk Management add-in would, I expect, not be pretty.

If you decide to try it yourself (and you know your code way better than me, so I strongly encourage you to try it if you think I might be wrong) lt us know how it works out.

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Ken.

I'm already using Application Folders to store a bunch of XML configuration files (so settings persist between Add-In and server reinstalls, as you've noted above).

The only thing that wouldn't be pretty (if you changed hardware platforms) is the Server Wireframe; each drive bay would show up red if Disk Management couldn't match the stored disk path on the new server (you'd need to edit the wireframe in Settings to show the new drive paths). Theoretically, you might lose any custom disk names (if the PNPDeviceID changes) as well.

Overall though, the Add-In would keep working fine.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 9:17 PM
  • Have installed PP1 Beta & so far, it's worked as stated.  within a short time of installation, it notififed me that 2 computers require connector upgrade, which was done successfully.

Can someone clarify a point that has me confused: - on Home Server Backup (New Feature) step 6 of test scenario states wipe entire WHS installation - Is that just 1: the OS or  2: complete wipeout of server?

I hope it's not option 2 as I have over 2tb's of data & at the moment have insuffient storage to back it all up.

Advice appreciated.  Thanks.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 1:02 PM
  • I don't think there is a anything that says you are required to do any test. These are just test scenarios that the WHS team would recommend testers try. Smile

They still gain valuable knowledge of PP1 beta working on a production system. If anything, just leave it there and let it do its job. If you have bugs, then report them.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Exactly - you dont have to do any testing if you dont want to - obviously it helps and that is kind of the point of beta testing. But as long as you report anything out of the ordinary in "normal everyday use" then its something.

Andrew

Friday, June 13, 2008 10:23 AM
  •  ColinWH wrote:
    You're wrong!

The data files on WHS disks can be read on any Windows machine that recognises NTFS partions.

Colin

This is not correct if you use multiple drives. WHS likes to try and distribute files evenly across multi drives when added to the server. I have pulled out the second drive before and I SEE the skeleton of most all files, but some are just that, they are there but may be located on the other drive. So, yes and no. You can see which videos are good on each drive by viewing thumbnails, and maybe pictures.....but not with the music, so now what? Reinstallation of the WHS system partition and within WHS is the only way to see it all again.

The new PP1 option to throw on an external or other drive and say back-up music will be a relief. 42k songs lost isn't a good feeling, good thing I'm paranoid and have it in about 3 other places. but here we go again with backing up back-ups...

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 7:14 PM
  • The only situation in which you'll see that is if your server has more than one disk in the storage pool, and you're looking at the system disk's data partition. In that one instance, you will find "tombstones" in D:\Shares\etc. If there are real files on that drive, they will be in D:\DE\Shares\etc.
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 10:15 PM