Server 2011 Backup & Client Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I am having two issues with 2011.

1st - Will not backup one of my Client PC Computer.

2nd - Laptop will not see the server to install Connect.

Backup - I have an XP with 1TB drive, on 1 partition that works find & then the problem child is a Win 7 with 3TB drive as 1 partition. I have done a search and tried everything I could find with no results and I am starting to come to the conclusion that the 3TB drive as 1 partition is the issue. I keep getting little bits and pieces in my search that 2TB is the max for the backup on a client machine. Can anyone confirm that and if so is there a work around.

Laptop - The laptop is a HP, Win 7 with 1TB drive. I have no problems seeing the server on the network and can access and map to it through Windows Explorer. The problem is Internet Explorer & Connect will not directly link to it using the IP address. I am pretty sure this is a setting in the Internet Explorer but can not find what it is and turning off the firewall did nothing. Can someone guide me with what they think is the problem.

Thanks

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting your issue in the forum.

Regarding the first question, as you concluded, the hard drive space may be the cause of the issue. Please understand that Windows Server Backup uses the .vhd format for writing backups. The current virtual hard disk specification limits the size of a virtual hard disk to be 2040 GB, which can fit a volume of size 2040 GB – 2 MB, (i.e., 2088958 MB). Windows Server Backup in Windows Server 2008 also limits the maximum source volume size to be 2088958 MB. In Windows Server 2008 R2, if you are not backing up a full volume and, instead, creating a backup of selected files/folders, your source volume size can be more than 2088958 MB, provided your actual data size is less than equal to 2088958 MB. If you are creating a full volume backup, the maximum source volume size limit continues to be 2088958 MB.

For details about this , please refer to the following article.

http://connecteddigitalworld.com/2011/02/06/windows-home-server-2011-internal-3tb-hard-drive-support-video-edition/

Regarding the second question, please refer to the following article.

http://technet.microsoft.com/pt-pt/library/computer-connection-support-2.aspx#BKMK_JoinWin7

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:44 AM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 9:56 AM