Why do I get a message that my windows IS NOT GENUINE after it has been already confirmed a few times? RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a copy of XP PRO. New and unused, sold by a Microsoft Certified Partner. It was installed and activated ok. Then confirmed genuine a few times while downloading update from the windows update website.

Recently I downloaded IE8 (not via WU, but from MS website) and installed it. Now, when I attempted to check for updates again today, the verification website reported that my copy of windows is not genuine. I ran the MGA Diagnostic tool - see below. I have also attempted to delete the data.dat from "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows Genuine Advantage\data" but the tool still reports windows is not genuine.

Please advise.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Validation Code: 8
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-WMGT6-9DY9X-Q6Y4Y
    Windows Product Key Hash: K5z8PGbI5ZGoUK7f0U+KAo3OmdE=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-111-7222206-22498
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {CDD56557-4A58-4214-93B1-B99175D88C8D}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 8
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: D:\Software\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{CDD56557-4A58-4214-93B1-B99175D88C8D}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-Q6Y4Y</PKey><PID>76487-111-7222206-22498</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1844237615-117609710-1801674531</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>Compaq 610</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>68PVU Ver. F.01</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20090424000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>91743C3F0184007B</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: A5CC:Compaq Computer Corporation|128BA:Compaq Computer Corporation|1FFEA:Compaq Computer Corporation|12863:Compaq Computer Corporation|12863:Compaq Computer Corporation|1FFEA:Hewlett-Packard Company|12863:Hewlett-Packard Company
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:47 PM

Answers

• My understanding is this issue has been resolved by Windows support.

Closing thread as Answered.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 15, 2010 7:31 PM
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 7:31 PM

All replies

• Hello Adam1977,

Could you rerun the mgadiag report, and after it completes, look on the General tab to see if the "Resolve" button is available.  If it is, please click and follow whatever prompts you are given.  Also, please post back and let us know what you were told to do.

If the "Resolve" button is not available, post back and let us know that, too.

If no "Resolve" button, pleas follow these instructions (which I copied from another post):

Could you have a look at this MS KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926333

Please perform the steps listed in the Resolution section entitled, "Manual steps to update the WGA Data.dat file on a single computer."  These are the steps that would have taken place automatically if the Resolve Button were available in the mgadiag utility.

Here are the steps, slightly reworded for ease of use.

"To update the Data.dat file manually, follow these steps:

1. Log on to the computer that is experiencing the problem using a Computer Administrator account.
    2. Click Start, click Run, then carefully type or copy-and-paste the following bolded text into the text entry box:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Windows Genuine Advantage\data
    3. Once the above command has been entered, click the OK button or press Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the Windows Explorer window that opens, in the right-hand pane, locate the data.dat file and delete it.  Don't close this window yet.
    5. Next, open your browser and visit the following Microsoft Web site:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/validate.aspx   In order to verify your computer's installation of Windows is reporting as Genuine, click on the Validate Windows button and if prompted, click on "Run" and/or "Install" in subsequent ActiveX warnings to install and run the necessary Validation software.
    6. After a successful validation, look in the right-hand pane of the Windows Explorer window from which you deleted the data.dat file.  Verify that you now have a new data.dat file with the current date and time as properties.  Close this window. 
    7. Click Start, click Run, type wgatray.exe /b, and then click OK.  This command resets the WGA Notifications Utility.  Under normal circumstances there will be nothing presented to the user to inform them that the command executed successfully.

Note The wgatray.exe command might not be available on your computer. This command is available only on computers that have Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications installed. If the wgatray.exe command is unavailable, it is not an error. Go to the next step. For more information about Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
      905474  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474/ ) Description of the Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications application
    8. Restart the computer."

Let us know how you do! :-)

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Monday, August 23, 2010 3:03 AM
  • Hello,

The resolve button is not available. I have already followed the procedure and deleted the data.dat file - I mentioned it in my original post (basically in step 6 it still does not validate successfully after removing data.dat file).

Please advise.

Monday, August 23, 2010 11:27 AM
  • Hello Adam1977,

You wrote, "I have already followed the procedure and deleted the data.dat file - I mentioned it in my original post..."

Not all Windows installations park the data.dat file we are concerned with in the default location.  Following the precedure above and using the %ALLUSERSPROFILE% environmental variable ensures that Windows Explorer will open the folder that specific Windows installation is using to store the active data.dat file.

However, proceding under the assumption that the correct data.dat file was deleted and recreated and that still did not solve the issue, please navigate to this Windows Genuine Advantage Support page at microsoft.com  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029  and submit a request for free tech support.  When the request has been submitted (including your contact information, which will be transmitted privately rather than on this pubic forum), Microsoft support staff will want to contact you and with your permission, remote into your computer to further investigate this issue.

After you receive the confirmation number associated with your tech support request, please come back to this forum and post the confirmation number.  Darin Smith, the Microsoft moderator of this forum, will use the number to look up your support case in the Microsoft support records and monitor the process, with the intention of seeing if what fixes your issue could benefit future posters with the same issue.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Monday, August 23, 2010 1:00 PM
  • Hello,

Raised a ticket on the site you indicated above. The SR number is 1137533557

Monday, August 23, 2010 4:18 PM
  • Hi Adam,

I have forwarded your Service Request number to my escalation team.  They will take ownership of the SR, from your current Support Rep, and should contact you as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:54 PM
  • Hi,

I have been contacted by a chap called Nicholas White - he advised to give him a call or drop an email. What is the point when he never pick ups the phone (have tried for two days now) and does not reply to emails?

Can someone take some responsibility and help in resolving this issue?

Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:27 PM
  • I am looking into this.  The Support Engineer should definitly be more responsive.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:15 PM
  • My understanding is this issue has been resolved by Windows support.

Closing thread as Answered.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 15, 2010 7:31 PM
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 7:31 PM