none
OEM license to MSDN RRS feed

• Question

• I just bought a new Lenovo laptop and of course it has a Windows 7 OEM license.  It's running Home Premium 64-bit edition.  I own an MSDN subscription and also a retail license for Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit.  My question is I would like to run Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit on my new laptop with either my MSDN or retail license.  I know you can normally change the license key through the "Change Product Key" link under Control Panel > System but this is not available on my OEM product.  Is it possible for me to upgrade to Win7 ultimate 64-bit without re-installing and going through the hassles of drivers and apps, etc?  And if it is possible, how do I do so?

Thank you in advance.

Joe

Monday, December 12, 2011 4:07 PM

Answers

• What you need to do is to perform a Windows Anytime Upgrade.  Simply type:  Anytime in Windows 7's Search Programs and files box and click on the Windows Anytime Upgrade icon that appears.  Then enter a genuine MSDN Subscription Windows 7 Ultimate product key to begin the upgrade process which takes less than ten minutes.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by joec888 Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:27 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 5:01 PM

All replies

• What you need to do is to perform a Windows Anytime Upgrade.  Simply type:  Anytime in Windows 7's Search Programs and files box and click on the Windows Anytime Upgrade icon that appears.  Then enter a genuine MSDN Subscription Windows 7 Ultimate product key to begin the upgrade process which takes less than ten minutes.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by joec888 Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:27 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 5:01 PM
  • That sounds way too easy.  ;-)

I will have to give this a try when I am at my laptop.  I thought the Anytime Upgrade required a "upgrade key" and would not work with a full product key.  I'll give it a try and report back.

Thanks for the info.

Joe

Monday, December 12, 2011 7:37 PM
  • If the laptop is for your personal use, use the retail license.  As you know, MSDN licenses are for development and testing only.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 7:48 PM
    Answerer
  • This worked for me.  I ran the Anytime upgrade and entered the Ultimate product key and it upgraded the OS to ultimate.

Thanks for the answer Carey.

Joe

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:29 PM
  • I tried upgrading an OEM Windows 7 Home Premium on a new Toshiba Satellite to Ultimate using an MSDN activation key whose key type is "Retail".

The upgrade failed with an error message "Enter a different upgrade key.  The upgrade key you entered is for an edition of Windows that does not work with Windows Anytime Upgrade.  Enter a different upgrade key. "

My MSDN subscription is "Visual Studio Ultimate with MSDN".

Why did this work for joec888 and not for me?

Friday, December 23, 2011 5:33 PM
  • MSDN keys are classified as retail for reasons other than use for personal reasons.  Retail in this context means transferrable to another computer.  Don't read any more into the term than that.  MSDN product keys are restricted by the MSDN subscriber agreement to use for development and testing only.  It is non-compliance with the subscriber agreement to use an MSDN license for productivity or on your primary computer.

You can use the standard upgrade method to upgrade.  Start Windows, insert the Ultimate dvd, and when the splash screen appears click Install Now.  Enter the product key when prompted and when you reach the screen that offers "Custom Installation" and "Upgrade Installation", choose Upgrade.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Friday, December 23, 2011 6:06 PM
    Answerer