getting my own 25 digits product key for Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I own a laptop with genuine activated license OEM Microsoft Vista. I just found out that my  25 digits product key on the label under the laptop became more or less unreadable.

Since Microfost ackonwlwdged the license is genuine I'm expectig to be able to reinstall Vista  (e.g. move lista o a new partition on the same disk) or to reacivate license if required.

Please tell me how could I recover the 25 digits product key of my Vista license.

Saturday, November 6, 2010 9:18 AM

Answers

• The only way you could get it replaced is if the manufacturer will replace it. As I understand it some people have had luck with this but I would not count on it. The OEM purchases ONE OEM coa sticker for every computer they manufacture and sell, they essentialy would have to absorb the cost of the replacement COA sticker.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, November 8, 2010 10:29 PM
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 3:06 PM
  • You can use a program such as magic Jelly Bean keyfinder to find your product key from your current installation.
    Monday, November 8, 2010 2:22 AM

All replies

• The only way you could get it replaced is if the manufacturer will replace it. As I understand it some people have had luck with this but I would not count on it. The OEM purchases ONE OEM coa sticker for every computer they manufacture and sell, they essentialy would have to absorb the cost of the replacement COA sticker.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, November 8, 2010 10:29 PM
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 3:06 PM
  • I know this comes late, but I mean this for future purchases or others reading this thread, if you buy a new OEM computer record the key and try to limit the possiblity of some passerby writing down (stealing) your key from your COA sticker, for a desktop place the side that the key is on in a spot that is not visible or move it. For a laptop, if the key is on the bottom, put clear packaging tape over it to protect it, just don't tape over any ventalation holes. If it was me I would just remove the sticker and put it somewhere safe but I don't know how MS feels about that.
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 3:07 PM
  • You can use a program such as magic Jelly Bean keyfinder to find your product key from your current installation.
    Monday, November 8, 2010 2:22 AM
  • Won't work if the instal is OEM_SLP. I was assuming that the OP's install was original factory.

Monday, November 8, 2010 5:05 AM
  • Well, then he can use the manufacturer included recovery program (sometimes in the boot menu or on a DVD)
    Monday, November 8, 2010 8:56 PM
  • "motherboardlove" wrote in message news:8f774d83-5872-4603-8886-bec46fcf8e33...
    Well, then he can use the manufacturer included recovery program (sometimes in the boot menu or on a DVD)

Fine - but if there is a problem with the BIOS, that will not work, and the OP is goosed.
    They need to ensure that the fall-back position of having a viable COA license key is still available, should the worse come to the worst.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, November 8, 2010 9:07 PM
  • Well if the BIOS wasn't working, then the computer wouldn't start up. In the unlikely situation that only the SLIC table was corrupted it would also cause the computer to be un-bootable because the iamge on the BIOS would not match the checksum. Also, he said his installation was working currently. Every startup, Windows checks the BIOS for SLIC tables. That means if he's using the SLP key, then it would work next time. If he is using the COA key, he can just use a product key finder, as I suggested.
    Monday, November 8, 2010 9:39 PM