HP Notebook - 3 days until automatic activation. Activate Windows now RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

HP replaced my notebook motherboard ~6 months ago. I restored my computer using the HP recovery discs to prepare for Windows Vista SP1. Everything was fine for ~1 month. I received a notice that my copy of Windows Vista must be activated. When I attempt to activate, I get the following error message:

http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/e42afbe3c1.jpg

THE WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM PRODUCT KEY YOU TYPED IS INVAILD FOR ACTIVATION.

* BUY A NEW PRODUCT KEY ONLINE

* TYPE A DIFFERENT PRODUCT KEY

*.CONTACT HP TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE

I contacted HP and they stated that I would need to enter the Product Key which is on the bottom on my notebook. The sticker is worn and I can no longer read it. They suggested I restore the notebook but that didn't help. I sent the notebook to HP service and got it back today. The work order claims HP updated the bios but I still get the same error:

http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/6a7b1736ec.jpg

Any suggestions? TIA  

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:54 AM

Answers

• I found a solution to my problem.

I call the HP support line and the agent conected me to a Microsoft validation agent. The MS agent informed me to enter the Windows Vista product key which is located on a sticker on the bottom of my notebook. I informed her that the product key is illegible because of normal day to day wear and tear. The MS agent stated that I was basically SOL and she could not supply a new product key. The HP agent and I pleaded our case and was eventually transfered to a MS customer support agent which was able to generate a new product key for me. Even with the new product key I was not able to activate over the internet. I was given the option to activate over the phone and everything worked out okay,

I'm glad this is now behind me.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 5:03 PM

All replies

• I found a solution to my problem.

I call the HP support line and the agent conected me to a Microsoft validation agent. The MS agent informed me to enter the Windows Vista product key which is located on a sticker on the bottom of my notebook. I informed her that the product key is illegible because of normal day to day wear and tear. The MS agent stated that I was basically SOL and she could not supply a new product key. The HP agent and I pleaded our case and was eventually transfered to a MS customer support agent which was able to generate a new product key for me. Even with the new product key I was not able to activate over the internet. I was given the option to activate over the phone and everything worked out okay,

I'm glad this is now behind me.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 5:03 PM
  • What number did u call, if you could give it to me or tell me how to get the number that would be very helpful.

thanks in advance.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:46 PM
  • Hi,
    Initially, I contacted HP's customer support at
    800-474-6836 (For Compaq the number is 800-652-6672). The HP tech support agent patched me into the MS activation department via a three-way call (Sorry, I do not have the phone number). As I mentioned in my previous post, the MS activation agent would not provide me a new Windows Vista Home Premium product key. I was transferred to a MS customer support rep who provided me with a new key. I must have registered my copy of Vista with Microsoft in the past because the customer support rep already had all of my info (Scary ).

Like many other people in the same boat, either hardware was changed (e.g. Motherboard) or a new software driver caused the Windows Vista activation to trip and require the product key to be re-entered. What caused me the greatest hassle was that I never received any warning that the activation countdown timer had expired. I turned on my notebook one morning and the operating system reported that my product key was invalid and required immediate action.

TIP: If you find yourself in this situation here is some advice how to get to your data and programs if only temporary. Select the CONTACT THE MANUFACTURE option at the prompt. Next select the option to go to the manufactures' website. Once Internet Explorer is open you can still access your files, folders and programs through the address bar (e.g. C:\users or C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE). You will be able to copy your files to a thumb drive, external hard drive, etc. once you're in the folder.

I like Windows Vista. I will go as far as to say I prefer it to XP. It's not without its quirks and I believe this is my biggest gripe.

I hope someone will find this post useful.
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 9:24 AM