none
Why not suggest the simplest fix first? RRS feed

• Question

• After one of the frequent automatic security updates, Windows 7 on my HP notebook complained that it was no longer genuine.  I wasted hours trying to get help from Microsoft and H.P. tech support.  Neither suggested that I just try reactivating Windows by re-entering the product key printed on the sticker on the bottom of my machine.  Finally, on a guess I tried that, and it worked!  Why doesn't tech support suggest that as the first thing to try??
    Monday, January 16, 2012 6:46 PM

Answers

• The COA product key on the sticker is not the same as the one embedded in Windows when it was installed at the factory.  It is for emergencies such as yours.  The tech folks are probably trained to work from the software angle, especially since the sticker has often rubbed off on older machines and the COA key is no longer available.  That's why manufacturers are now putting the COA sticker inside the battery compartment on many laptops.  If you haven't already, you should copy your key and store the copy.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Monday, January 16, 2012 7:10 PM
    Answerer
  • If your windows is preinstalled it is the responsibility of the OEM to provide all support. I suspect that the OEM call centers lack the skills to properly read a diagnostic report. If you have not genuine issues again come back here as this forums specializes in these issues. 
    Monday, January 16, 2012 7:22 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I think it is a matter of having proper information available. If you read the announcements at the top of the forum you will see that we require a MGA diagnostic report. This gives the necessary information to analyze and diagnosis the problem.  There are many reasons windows may show as not genuine so without a diagnostic report everything is just a guess.
    Monday, January 16, 2012 7:02 PM
    Answerer
  • But they didn't tell me to (or how to) produce a MGA diagnostic report, either.  Microsoft just claimed it was HP's problem, because HP had pre-installed Windows on the machine, and referred me to HP to solve the problem.  The HP people didn't say anything about an MGA diagnostic either.

Monday, January 16, 2012 7:09 PM
  • The COA product key on the sticker is not the same as the one embedded in Windows when it was installed at the factory.  It is for emergencies such as yours.  The tech folks are probably trained to work from the software angle, especially since the sticker has often rubbed off on older machines and the COA key is no longer available.  That's why manufacturers are now putting the COA sticker inside the battery compartment on many laptops.  If you haven't already, you should copy your key and store the copy.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Monday, January 16, 2012 7:10 PM
    Answerer
  • If your windows is preinstalled it is the responsibility of the OEM to provide all support. I suspect that the OEM call centers lack the skills to properly read a diagnostic report. If you have not genuine issues again come back here as this forums specializes in these issues. 
    Monday, January 16, 2012 7:22 PM
    Answerer
  • "jmason37" wrote in message news:b76085af-168d-42b6-8067-9f0b40deb3f3...
    After one of the frequent automatic security updates, Windows 7 on my HP notebook complained that it was no longer genuine.  I wasted hours trying to get help from Microsoft and H.P. tech support.  Neither suggested that I just try reactivating Windows by re-entering the product key printed on the sticker on the bottom of my machine.  Finally, on a guess I tried that, and it worked!  Why doesn't tech support suggest that as the first thing to try??

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine, but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, January 16, 2012 7:34 PM