What happens at "end of life" for WHS 2011 in April 2016? RRS feed

• Question

• So what happens at end of life for WHS 2011 in April 2016? I really like having my WHS 2011 and it's worked perfectly for me for the last two years. I actually recently set one up at my sister's house and we use crashplan to back up to each other's servers too.

In April 2016 does this mean they will just stop offering updates? If I have to do a clean install can I still download all the past updates? I plan on using WHS 2011 well through 2016 unless a better, more convenient  home solution comes along. I know I still have about two more years, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? Will there really be any risk for a year or so following end of support? I can't imagine it would be much of a target considering the low sales anyhow.

Considering the added support for UEFI it should manage backups of Windows 9 I would suppose. Just no GPT support so far, but that hasn't been an issue for me personally. Perhaps it will be in the future.
    • Edited by HTWingNut Tuesday, July 8, 2014 2:15 AM
    Tuesday, July 8, 2014 2:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Yeah. As you said, Mainstream Support End Date of WHS 2011 is 4/12/2016.

Please refer to following article and check if can help you.

Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy FAQ

Meanwhile, we can get following description from this article (Microsoft Draws the Windows Home Server Era to a Close). Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

“Windows Home Server 2011 reaches end of life in 2016, but since the product has seen little feature development since release, we would anticipate future development to be focused purely on major bug fixes and security updates.”

By the way, Microsoft is combining the features that were previously only found in Windows Home Server, such as support for DLNA-compliant devices and media streaming, into Windows Server 2012 Essentials and focusing our efforts into making Windows Server 2012 Essentials the ideal first server operating system for both small business and home use—offering an intuitive administration experience, elastic and resilient storage features with Storage Spaces, and robust data protection for the server and client computers.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:59 AM
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 2:12 AM

All replies

• While I can not predict the future, you should check out KB2781272 and then KB2934953 for GPT volume support

Gary Morgan

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 5:28 AM
  • Hi,

Yeah. As you said, Mainstream Support End Date of WHS 2011 is 4/12/2016.

Please refer to following article and check if can help you.

Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy FAQ

Meanwhile, we can get following description from this article (Microsoft Draws the Windows Home Server Era to a Close). Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

“Windows Home Server 2011 reaches end of life in 2016, but since the product has seen little feature development since release, we would anticipate future development to be focused purely on major bug fixes and security updates.”

By the way, Microsoft is combining the features that were previously only found in Windows Home Server, such as support for DLNA-compliant devices and media streaming, into Windows Server 2012 Essentials and focusing our efforts into making Windows Server 2012 Essentials the ideal first server operating system for both small business and home use—offering an intuitive administration experience, elastic and resilient storage features with Storage Spaces, and robust data protection for the server and client computers.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:59 AM
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 2:12 AM