Live OneCare backup file size RRS feed

• Question

• I am using OneCare Backup to backup an 80 gig drive (which is about 80% full) to an external drive. The folder on the external drive that contains the backup files is now almost 85 gig .

Is this normal? Is there some setting that I have missed? Will this folder continue to grow?

Sunday, February 10, 2008 9:13 PM

Answers

• Yes, this is normal.

Your first backup would be the total of all of the files you've selected to backup based on the plan settings. The backup is compresses, so it was likely quite a bit less than the total drive space used of 60 gigs. Note that OneCare does not backup the OS or program files, only data.

Each subsequent backup *adds* files that are new or have changed since the last backup. So, if you have many new or changed files, particularly large ones, you can run out of room pretty quickly. Files are not deleted or replaced in a backup.

Once you approach the capacity of your backup location, you'll need to delete the existing backup and start a new Full backup.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1698096&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 2:29 AM

All replies

• Yes, this is normal.

Your first backup would be the total of all of the files you've selected to backup based on the plan settings. The backup is compresses, so it was likely quite a bit less than the total drive space used of 60 gigs. Note that OneCare does not backup the OS or program files, only data.

Each subsequent backup *adds* files that are new or have changed since the last backup. So, if you have many new or changed files, particularly large ones, you can run out of room pretty quickly. Files are not deleted or replaced in a backup.

Once you approach the capacity of your backup location, you'll need to delete the existing backup and start a new Full backup.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1698096&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 2:29 AM
  • Steve - It may be just me, but doesn't this solution seem a bit useless? I have a 300GB backup drive and it's already largely consumed by the first backup. Forget being the hub of a centralized backup. And as for only backing up pics, docs, etc I'm finding that doesn't add up either. This amount of space appears to be a full uncompressed image. Someone has dropped the ball here or I'm missing a big way-point in my understanding.

Best regards,

Kevin

Sunday, April 20, 2008 12:24 AM
  • Steve - Disregard my earlier comment. I didn't notice the option of "other". That should trim things up considerably so all is well now.

Best regards,

Kevin

Sunday, April 20, 2008 2:57 AM
  • "Other" can be a whole lot of files. You can also use the "Exclude" function after selecting the file types and letting OneCare scan the PCs and present the list of files to be backed up.
    -steve
    Monday, April 21, 2008 4:54 PM