none
GPX Files RRS feed

Answers

• I realize this is an older thread ... but thought I'd add some new data:

I had been warned about the problem of importing GPX data to Garmin Devices ... and with big trip coming up wanted to test it. I installed the GPX files to my Nuvi 500 the "old fashioned" way ...  here's what I did:

Plug garmin into computer and find the folder:

X:\Garmin\GPX

copied two short GPX files with 3 or 4 waypoints to my Nuvi 500 into this folder

The first was a GPX export from MSST 2013  "as is" ...
    I looked at it in notepad It did have the <time>  ...  </time> markers in it
    The file was one long line of text with no line breaks....

The second file was the same GPX file after running it thru GPSBabel, where I had done a convert from GPX XML  TO  GPX XML (this was one of the automated fix methods I saw recommended somewhere) ...GPSBabel stripped out the  <time>   markers and reformatted the file so that each waypoint was on a new line so much easier to work with in notepad if you wanted to do that ........

D/L from:  http://www.gpsbabel.org/

but long story short both versions of the file were converted to routes by Nuvi 500 without error ...

So I'm not sure what's going on... perhaps the <time> markers are only an issue if using BaseCamp or MapSource and not a problem if you just drop the GPX file directly to the Garmin? 

If you prefer the MapSource/BaseCamp approach for some reason, I strongly suspect that running the GPX file thru GPSBabel will fix it up.

• Proposed as answer by IT_hoser Sunday, June 2, 2013 3:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Marvin HlavacModerator Sunday, June 2, 2013 4:30 PM
    • Edited by IT_hoser Sunday, June 2, 2013 5:32 PM added link for GPSBabel d/l
    Sunday, June 2, 2013 3:42 PM

All replies

• Hi STtracker,

I don't think there have been changes in this between v2011 vs v2013.

http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/

Sunday, November 11, 2012 3:43 PM
  • In S&T 2013, the <date> expression is badly formatted and will choke when trying to import it into another mapping program.
    • Proposed as answer by Dave-SATX Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:11 AM
    Friday, November 23, 2012 5:45 AM
  • If trying to import into Garmin or MapSource any S&T 2013 generated GPX data that was exported I get an error indicating that the gpx file can not be imported.  This was not a problem with previous versions of S&T.

So here is the fix. 

Open the GPX file with wordpad and delete all instances of <time>Invalid DateTime-06:00</time>  (Note that you can do a "replace all" and leave the replace with section blank).  Save the file before exiting wordpad.  The GPX file will now import into Garmin systems/software.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:00 AM
  • Open the GPX file with wordpad and delete all instances of <time>Invalid DateTime-06:00</time> (Note that you can do a "replace all" and leave the replace with section blank).  Save the file before exiting wordpad.  The GPX file will now import into Garmin systems/software.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:12 AM
  • I realize this is an older thread ... but thought I'd add some new data:

I had been warned about the problem of importing GPX data to Garmin Devices ... and with big trip coming up wanted to test it. I installed the GPX files to my Nuvi 500 the "old fashioned" way ...  here's what I did:

Plug garmin into computer and find the folder:

X:\Garmin\GPX

copied two short GPX files with 3 or 4 waypoints to my Nuvi 500 into this folder

The first was a GPX export from MSST 2013  "as is" ...
    I looked at it in notepad It did have the <time>  ...  </time> markers in it
    The file was one long line of text with no line breaks....

The second file was the same GPX file after running it thru GPSBabel, where I had done a convert from GPX XML  TO  GPX XML (this was one of the automated fix methods I saw recommended somewhere) ...GPSBabel stripped out the  <time>   markers and reformatted the file so that each waypoint was on a new line so much easier to work with in notepad if you wanted to do that ........

D/L from:  http://www.gpsbabel.org/

but long story short both versions of the file were converted to routes by Nuvi 500 without error ...

So I'm not sure what's going on... perhaps the <time> markers are only an issue if using BaseCamp or MapSource and not a problem if you just drop the GPX file directly to the Garmin? 

If you prefer the MapSource/BaseCamp approach for some reason, I strongly suspect that running the GPX file thru GPSBabel will fix it up.

• Proposed as answer by IT_hoser Sunday, June 2, 2013 3:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Marvin HlavacModerator Sunday, June 2, 2013 4:30 PM
    • Edited by IT_hoser Sunday, June 2, 2013 5:32 PM added link for GPSBabel d/l
    Sunday, June 2, 2013 3:42 PM