XBOX 360 can't see files on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• My Xbox 360 cannot see any of the shared folders on my WHS box.  Music, photo and video folders are shared on the WHS box.  I have no issues seeing the WHS from other computers on the network.  In fact, I have a Kodak wifi picture frame that sees the WHS shares.  The XBox also has no problems seeing my other computer or Media Center computer as well (both running WMP 11).

Let me describe my physical network: I have 4 individual runs of Cat 5 wiring to various rooms of my house that tie back together with a plain old 5 port switch (this is not a combo router/switch). I have a Linksys wireless router/switch plugged into one of the runs which provides internet access via a cable modem.  I plugged the WHS box into one of the open ports on the Linksys box.

I have a suspicion my network's physical layout may be an issue because if I plug in the WHS into one of the other runs that goes directly back into the plain old switch, Xbox 360 can see it.  However, when I plug the WHS into the back of the linksys box, it becomes invisisble to the XBox.  However, other computers and the picture frame have no problems seeing it.  I have not had any other issues with this nework configuration to date.

This seems strange.  Anyone have any ideas? 

Kenny

Monday, June 18, 2007 9:37 PM

Answers

• I mean, going into the Settings blade on the Xbox -> then Computers -> then disconnecting.

You should be able to click on the media blade -> click Music -> and connect back to your Windows Home Server.

If that fails, my thoughts are that the Switch and router are not communicating information that they should to each other.  Old router firmware, or old switch possibly?

Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:32 PM
  •  BFehklar wrote:
    I had a simliar problem. My XBox 360 can see my WHS but can't see any of the folders or files.

Problem started when I switched from my Linksys WRT54G to a D-Link DIR-655 router.

Solution that worked for me is to delete a cached uuid in the registry entry for the XBox device on the WHS. This solution is described in the Windows Meda Connect FAQ here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/devices/wmconnect/faq.aspx#4_11

Was this not reset with Restarting Media Sharing feature by switching them from ON to OFF then back ON?  Also, did you try rebooting?

Monday, April 7, 2008 9:59 PM

All replies

• Can you explain your network lay out?  Also, have you tried disconnecting from the Windows Home Server and reconnecting to it?
    Monday, June 18, 2007 9:48 PM
  •  

Can you explain your network lay out? :

I have 4 individual runs of Cat 5 wiring to various rooms of my house that tie back together with a plain old 5 port switch (this is not a combo router/switch). I have a Linksys wireless router/switch plugged into one of the runs which provides internet access via a cable modem.  I plugged the WHS box into one of the open ports on the Linksys box.

The linsys box (a WRT54GX2) is the DHCP server and provides NAT.

Also, have you tried disconnecting from the Windows Home Server and reconnecting to it?

What do you mean by disconnecting to the Home Server ? Disconnect from the network? from the Xbox?

Kenny

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:21 PM
  • So by taking the Linksys out of the equation it all works?

Seems like a no brainer it's your config on the Linksys...no?

I'd be tempted to try a different cable (maybe even a cross-over cable) when you hook it up to the linksys.

try other PC's on the linksys too and see if they work..

trial and error to ensure you identify the rogue component is probably needed...

Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:59 PM
  • I mean, going into the Settings blade on the Xbox -> then Computers -> then disconnecting.

You should be able to click on the media blade -> click Music -> and connect back to your Windows Home Server.

If that fails, my thoughts are that the Switch and router are not communicating information that they should to each other.  Old router firmware, or old switch possibly?

Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:32 PM
  • I have had to use the Disconnect option in the Xbox UI everytime I rebuilt my home server, as I am constantly giving my home server a new name - this week "homeboy'

Friday, June 22, 2007 12:02 AM
  • I had a simliar problem. My XBox 360 can see my WHS but can't see any of the folders or files.

Problem started when I switched from my Linksys WRT54G to a D-Link DIR-655 router.

Solution that worked for me is to delete a cached uuid in the registry entry for the XBox device on the WHS. This solution is described in the Windows Meda Connect FAQ here:
    Saturday, April 5, 2008 4:38 AM
  •  BFehklar wrote:
    I had a simliar problem. My XBox 360 can see my WHS but can't see any of the folders or files.

Was this not reset with Restarting Media Sharing feature by switching them from ON to OFF then back ON?  Also, did you try rebooting?

Monday, April 7, 2008 9:59 PM
  • I realise this is an old post... but I just had the same issue and this fixed it for me!!

Had previsouly connected my Win7 laptop to have a play with file sharing/Media Center...

Planning on building a WHS 2011 shortly (when RTM is released) as Netgear Stora is just not cutting it for XBOX and PS3 access....

Thanks for the help Joel...!!

Now can MS please fix the mp4 playback issue from within the Video library?!?!

Let me know if it already has been and how??

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 10:57 AM