remote access into my ex480 RRS feed

• Question

• i was having issues with seeing the server (remote access) and was trying different solutions. I remote desktopped into the server and clicked on properties for tcp/ip and assigned the server a static ip address (the one the router was giving it). I rebooted and I can no longer see the server nor remote into to to undo what I did. How do I get back into the server when I can't remote into it? Is there a direct connect solution?
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 3:15 AM

All replies

• No, there's no direct connect solution. The supported way to recover from this is going to be server recovery; you'll find the instructions for this in your documentation (you don't want factory reset).

A less invasive approach would be to disconnect your server and a single PC from your network and connect them directly with a network cable. Assign your PC a static IP address in the same subnet that your server is in, then connect to your server with remote desktop and set it back to DHCP. You'll lose contact with your server at that point, but should be able to connect to it again after you've reconnected it with your network and set your PC back to DHCP.

If you can't connect with the direct connection, it probably means you didn't complete setting up your server, so either the IP address you thought you set was wrong, or something else is wrong, and the server doesn't think your computer is on the same subnet. You can try using an IP address scanning tool while your server and your PC are directly connected, to see if you can learn your server's correct IP address.

If all else fails, drop back to server recovery rather than spending a huge amount of time on figuring out how to avoid it. It takes a while and is somewhat invasive by the standards of someone who's been using their server as "Windows Server 2003 lite", but it's quite reliable and will return your server to a "known good" state. And it, plus the required reconfiguration, will still take less time than figuring out your specific configuration issues …

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 1:03 PM