Server S3 mode RRS feed

• Question

• Should the server be put to sleep (S3)?

I see options in the server software that will enable this feature.

I ask because I can not get the server  to wake up when I try to access it from any of my systems (for instance when I want to access files on the server).

The server does wake up my computers when they are in S3 to do the scheduled backups.

Thanks

Bob

Monday, July 2, 2007 1:45 PM

Answers

• If the server will serve other services beside the backup, then it good idea to not put it to sleep mode.

My best.
    Monday, July 2, 2007 2:15 PM
  • The server doesn't wake up the clients, the Connector software you installed on each machine does that in conjunction with WHS.

If the server is in S3 mode, you will be unable to RDP into it, or be able to use it's 'internet facing' facilities.

Colin

Monday, July 2, 2007 5:23 PM
  • In addition to what Colin says, you will also be unable to run backups, access the server shares, stream media from the server, or anything, basically.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 2:11 AM

All replies

• If the server will serve other services beside the backup, then it good idea to not put it to sleep mode.

My best.
    Monday, July 2, 2007 2:15 PM
  • The server doesn't wake up the clients, the Connector software you installed on each machine does that in conjunction with WHS.

If the server is in S3 mode, you will be unable to RDP into it, or be able to use it's 'internet facing' facilities.

Colin

Monday, July 2, 2007 5:23 PM
  • In addition to what Colin says, you will also be unable to run backups, access the server shares, stream media from the server, or anything, basically.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 2:11 AM
  • Thank you all.

I will un-S3 it.

Bob

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 1:16 PM
  • I found this thread whilst specifically looking for info about WHS and S3. I want to build a WHS box that uses as little power as possible whilst not active, and S3 seems a good way to achieve this. I'm not actually running the beta yet so what follows is based on Vista/XP...

Have you checked power management of your NIC? Go into device manager, select properties of your NIC device, and look at the power management tab. Make sure "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" is checked. Then go to Advanced and look for a property that's called "Wake up capabilities" or similar. You should have both/none/magic packet/wake up frame. Make sure you have both selected.

Finally make sure that your server has a fixed ip address, not DHCP.

You should probably restart your server.

I find that I can wake up PCs like this just by pinging them. I figure that inbound network stuff coming from the router, like RDP, will probably do the same.

If WHS backup etc are all normal scheduled tasks, then look at the properties for these and see if you can enable them to wake up the computer too.

I'd love to know if all this works on WHS... Thanks...

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 10:46 PM
  • While it will work if the BIOS supports it, you'll wake on a lot of different kinds of traffic. Basically any broadcast packet on your network will wake a machine configured as you describe. That's probably not what you want to do; WHS will be waking up constantly throughout the day (and night).
    Thursday, July 5, 2007 8:14 PM