none
Error: Unknown error. Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)) RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi guys,

Synctoy 2.0 just stopped working.  It won't sync any new data from laptop (XP Pro SP3) to desktop (XP home SP3).

Log below.  Any thoughts?

SYNC: 10/29/2008 13:43:04:718: SyncToy run of B-School2 (\\desktop\my documents\B-school\, C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\B-School\) completed at 10/29/2008 1:43:04 PM.
    SyncToy action was 'Synchronize'.
    SyncToy options were:
     Active for run all
     All files included
     No files excluded
     Do not check file contents
     Include read-only files
     Include hidden files
     Include system files
     Backup older files (send to Recycle Bin)
     All subfolders included
    SyncToy run took 00:00:02:843.
    Copied 107,520 bytes in 3 files in 00:00:02:843.
    Bytes per second 37,809.2, files per second 1.1.
    Avoided copying 23,326,320 bytes in 88 files that did not require action.
    Saved approximately 00:10:16:948 by not copying all files.
    Warning: 2 failures occured.
    You can retry by selecting "Run" again or select "Preview" to see
    the operations that remain to be performed.

SYNC: 10/29/2008 13:43:04:718: *** Error: Unknown error. Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)) Copying C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\B-School\Quarter 1\Financial Accounting\Accounting - Week 5.xls to \\desktop\my documents\B-school\Quarter 1\Financial Accounting\Accounting - Week 5.xls

Error: Unknown error. Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)) Copying C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\B-School\Quarter 1\Quantitative Analysis\Quant Homework - Week 4.xls to \\desktop\my documents\B-school\Quarter 1\Quantitative Analysis\Quant Homework - Week 4.xls

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:47 PM

Answers

• hey guys,

my response might be a big late, but i ran into the same issue after reinstalling Windows 7 (RTM) and installing synctoy 2.11. @Thephantasma: your suggestion worked wonderfully, thanks.

i tested switching off UAC (User Account Control) from Control Panel > User Accounts. Rebooted my machine. and it's now working perfectly fine.

i personally find UAC to be a bit of a nuisance, so i don't mind it being turned off, even though it's not recommend. i do however have good security software that includes application control etc.

it's been working fine since i've turned off UAC.
    regards
    chris
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:28 PM

All replies

• Can you check what the attributes on the files and see if they are locked or read-only etc.?

Thanks
    Deepa

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 1:34 AM
  • Files are not locked, not read-only... just normal files.

Looks to be a permissions issue between XP Home & XP Pro?

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 4:26 AM
  • have you ever tried to sync again?

Maybe it caused by network issue.

Thanks,

Baoke

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 8:18 AM
  • Still have the same error.  About 99% sure it's a Permissions issue between XP Pro & XP Home.  I have a tech guy coming over next week to resolve it.  Will post the solution.

Friday, November 7, 2008 11:59 PM
  • I'm also having a similar problem. From my Vista Home Premium desktop (w/SP1), I can't read "new" files from my XP Home Media Center Edition (w/SP3) Laptop.  I upload all of my camera photos to my laptop, and then I like to sync them to back them up to the desktop for sharing on the home network. The problem is that certain, mostly newly added files on the left, can't be read and copied to the right. For example:

Error: Cannot read from the source file \\MyLAPTOP\My Pictures\2008\2008_11_27 - Thanksgiving\IMG_3056.JPG. Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)) Copying \\MyLAPTOP\My Pictures\2008\2008_11_27 - Thanksgiving\IMG_3056.JPG to C:\Users\Gary\Pictures\2008\2008_11_27 - Thanksgiving\IMG_3056.JPG

The source files in the My Pictures folder on the laptop is a shared folder, and can be seen over my network by all my computers. The strange thing is, these new files are not viewable across the network on the vista desktop, even though everything else in the my pictures folder is. The other strange thing is that if I cut the new uploaded picture files out of their folder and paste them into a temp folder, and then cut/paste them back into the original folder, then the files are read fine across the network, and they copy fine with synctoy. It's like the newly uploaded files are locked, or aren't inheriting the parent's folders shared permissions immediately.
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 6:02 PM
  • I'm having exactly the same problem

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 10:55 AM
  •  

Hey guys,

One way to access the "Security" tab on XP Home is to follow the instructions for this link.  Then, you can have access to things like "turn off simple file sharing" on XP Home (which was only an XP Pro thing).  It helps for tweaking on XP Home.

http://www.devhardware.com/forums/networking-34/permission-problems-between-xp-pro-and-home-83752.html

Also, recreate your home network and when you do, make sure you click the box that says something like "Let others access your files" or something.   That's how I fixed mine.

Hammie

• Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Thursday, December 17, 2009 2:19 AM
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 6:10 PM
  • I have the same problem with Access Denied... I have SyncToy on two computers.  If I run it on one computer, it copies files from the other computer over, but does not send the files from the computer currently running SyncToy.  Then if I go to the other computer and run SyncToy, the same thing happens.  Therefore if I run the program on both computers, I get a full sycronization, but this is a real hassle.  I installed Synctoy on another computer and I got the same result.  One computer is Vista 64, one Vista Home, and the other is XP Pro.  I can see the drive when I look at Network Places and have no trouble manually transfering files between computers.
    Monday, February 16, 2009 2:26 AM
  • Same here. Two computers, XPP SP3 on each, syncing to a network share. Read-only attribute is not set, and I can copy the files manually. These failures are overwrite operations; it seems that the 'copy' part of the operation succeeds (because there is a .tmp file of the correct size in the destination directory) but the rename and/or delete portion fail.

I also occasionally see
    Monday, February 16, 2009 7:00 PM
  • anybody have any luck resolving this?

Same error just started happening to me this morning with my weekly music file backup.

The WEIRD thing is it only happens on about 40^ of my files..the rest in the same folder are fine.

No read-only flag, no UAC(winxp to winxp)...so WTF?

Any help is appreciated....synctoy is gr8.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 8:22 PM
  • Same here.

Two computers on home workgroup running Vista 64. I can copy files manually from one to the other. SyncToy 2.0 x64 reports "Access denied", even though folders are shared, full permissions are granted and the same administrator is logged on both computers.

It really looks like a frequent and major bug in SyncToy 2.0

Saturday, March 28, 2009 4:11 PM
  • Same problem with Windows Vista and Windows 7 RC (after reinstall).

However i found my own solution, just locate SyncToy.exe from Program Files folder,
    then Synctoy.exe, right click, "Run As Administrator".

But, now it will require, "Run this program as an administrator", so i am able to use desktop icon.

# Right-click the application, and then click Properties.
    # Click the Compatibility tab.
    # Select the Run this program as an administrator checkbox, and then click OK

Not an ideal solution, but better than nothing.
    • Proposed as answer by ThePhantasma Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:08 PM
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 6:42 PM
  • hey guys,

my response might be a big late, but i ran into the same issue after reinstalling Windows 7 (RTM) and installing synctoy 2.11. @Thephantasma: your suggestion worked wonderfully, thanks.

i tested switching off UAC (User Account Control) from Control Panel > User Accounts. Rebooted my machine. and it's now working perfectly fine.

i personally find UAC to be a bit of a nuisance, so i don't mind it being turned off, even though it's not recommend. i do however have good security software that includes application control etc.

it's been working fine since i've turned off UAC.
    regards
    chris
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:28 PM
  • Thanks Phantasma! That worked great.
    Monday, April 12, 2010 7:17 AM
  • Why is Chris Bowers' post marked as the answer?  Seems like Phantasma's 'Run as Administrator' is much better than turning off UAC.
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 7:54 AM
  • Bang on the right way to do this is run as Admin.  By turning off UAT you will allow anything to run anytime without asking you first! This includes viruses and skyware installing in the background without any warning as there will no longer be a check to ask the admin (You) first.

Sunday, February 6, 2011 7:32 PM
  • It would appear that I also have this problem with Win 8.1 using SyncToy 2.1 to backup files to a WD NAS

Having UAC enabled nor disabled nor running SyncToy as administrator has cured the fault and the result is a failure to access certain files for backing up. The file which concerns me most is my OULOOK 2010 .pst which I have moved into My Documents to make locating it easier for backup etc.

Saturday, March 1, 2014 11:55 PM