Windows 7 activatgion RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Can anyone help me to activate my windows 7?.. I had Vista in my Laptop. Couple of months ago I installed windows 7 using one of my friend's CD which has already been used by him to install it in his PC. After installation in my Laptop, 30 days of trial period, the  message appeared frequently to activate the windows. So I purchased the windows 7 upgrade OS from the retailer and tried to install in my Laptop. But the error message appeared during the installation like 'your current version of the windows is more recent than the version you are trying to upgrade to. Windows cannot complete the upgrade"..When I tried the upgrade option during the installation, again, after typing the product key, the error code appeared OXC0048061 and the message was ' the software licensing service determined that this specified product key can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installation". How should I use the product key I purchased with the CD?...How can I install it without erasing the already installed windows 7?....
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 12:57 PM

Answers

• "fredy312" wrote in message news:b77814b5-35c2-45dc-b128-c36cbb74366e...
    Hi Can anyone help me to activate my windows 7?.. I had Vista in my Laptop. Couple of months ago I installed windows 7 using one of my friend's CD which has already been used by him to install it in his PC. After installation in my Laptop, 30 days of trial period, the  message appeared frequently to activate the windows. So I purchased the windows 7 upgrade OS from the retailer and tried to install in my Laptop. But the error message appeared during the installation like 'your current version of the windows is more recent than the version you are trying to upgrade to. Windows cannot complete the upgrade"..When I tried the upgrade option during the installation, again, after typing the product key, the error code appeared OXC0048061 and the message was ' the software licensing service determined that this specified product key can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installation". How should I use the product key I purchased with the CD?...How can I install it without erasing the already installed windows 7?....

Your problem is that the Upgrade you purchased is the RTM version released in 2009 – while the installed version has been updated to Service Pack 1 level.
    You need to reinstall the original operating system using the manufacturer’s Recovery system, and then upgrade that using your upgrade disk and Key.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, September 12, 2011 10:25 PM
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 2:00 PM

All replies

• "fredy312" wrote in message news:b77814b5-35c2-45dc-b128-c36cbb74366e...
    Hi Can anyone help me to activate my windows 7?.. I had Vista in my Laptop. Couple of months ago I installed windows 7 using one of my friend's CD which has already been used by him to install it in his PC. After installation in my Laptop, 30 days of trial period, the  message appeared frequently to activate the windows. So I purchased the windows 7 upgrade OS from the retailer and tried to install in my Laptop. But the error message appeared during the installation like 'your current version of the windows is more recent than the version you are trying to upgrade to. Windows cannot complete the upgrade"..When I tried the upgrade option during the installation, again, after typing the product key, the error code appeared OXC0048061 and the message was ' the software licensing service determined that this specified product key can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installation". How should I use the product key I purchased with the CD?...How can I install it without erasing the already installed windows 7?....

Your problem is that the Upgrade you purchased is the RTM version released in 2009 – while the installed version has been updated to Service Pack 1 level.
    You need to reinstall the original operating system using the manufacturer’s Recovery system, and then upgrade that using your upgrade disk and Key.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, September 12, 2011 10:25 PM
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Hi Noel Thanks for your advice. I ll try.

XXXXXXXXX
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 10:27 PM