Renewing Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I "was" going to renew this April. However, I just read that MS is discontinuing OneCare later this year. So my questions are:

1. What is a good replacement for OneCare?
    2. What is MS replacing OneCare with?

TIA
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:59 PM

Answers

• You can renew OneCare now or before expiration in April and it will be fully support through the end of your subscription, April 2010.
    See the announcement here:
    Sticky: Announcement 11/18/08

The replacement is an antimalware program - think Defender plus Antivirus. Other features of OneCare will not be in Morro, as far as we know, and nothing has been announced regarding them.

If you choose not to renew, there are many alternatives for you to choose from for security. If you want free - www.avast.com for the free Home version and www.avira.com for another free alternative.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:27 PM
  • I can't make any recommendations, but Avira apparently includes a firewall. It really depends on your needs. The Windows firewall is effective for inbound threats. The only thing you gain by having an fully configured 2 way firewall is that anything that makes it to your PC and wants outbound access needs to be granted access by the firewall - meaning you. That can drive some people crazy and often leads to users simply allowing everything since they don't understand what they are being prompted to allow for.
    -steve
    • Marked as answer by STOplayer Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:23 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:11 PM

All replies

• You can renew OneCare now or before expiration in April and it will be fully support through the end of your subscription, April 2010.
    See the announcement here:
    Sticky: Announcement 11/18/08

The replacement is an antimalware program - think Defender plus Antivirus. Other features of OneCare will not be in Morro, as far as we know, and nothing has been announced regarding them.

If you choose not to renew, there are many alternatives for you to choose from for security. If you want free - www.avast.com for the free Home version and www.avira.com for another free alternative.

-steve
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:27 PM
  • What is a good firewall replacement? I've been looking at PC Tools Firewall Plus.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:35 PM
  • I can't make any recommendations, but Avira apparently includes a firewall. It really depends on your needs. The Windows firewall is effective for inbound threats. The only thing you gain by having an fully configured 2 way firewall is that anything that makes it to your PC and wants outbound access needs to be granted access by the firewall - meaning you. That can drive some people crazy and often leads to users simply allowing everything since they don't understand what they are being prompted to allow for.
    -steve
    • Marked as answer by STOplayer Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:23 PM
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:11 PM