Unable to run computer connector program RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I just recently upgraded my WHS 2011 hardware and re-installed my WHS 2011 software. I was using WHS connector software on 2 of my machines before I performed the re-installation on my WHS computer. I removed the WHS connector software through add/remove programs in the control panel. I'm now having difficulties re-installing the connector software on these 2 machines to my newly installed WHS 2011. I was able to install the connector software on a 3rd machine that never had the connector software installed. I'm puzzled as to why I'm unable to install the connector software on the original 2 machines. All of them are running Windows XP.

Here is what I'm doing and what is happening.

I'm accessing the following web address: http://server/connect/

I then download the software for windows and attempt to run the software and I receive this error:
    An unexpected error has occurred. To resolve this issue, contact the person responsible for your network

I then followed the following instructions from Microsoft with no luck because the WSS Certificate Web Service is already running:

Issue

When I try to connect a client computer to the server, I receive the error message, “An unexpected error has occurred. To resolve this issue, contact the person responsible for your network.”

Description

The WSS Certificate Web Service might not be running.

Solution

Start the WSS Certificate Web Service.

To start the WSS Certificate Web Service

• On the server, click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.

• In the navigation pane, click WSS Certificate Web Service.

• In the Actions pane, click Start.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! 

Friday, January 20, 2012 3:12 PM

All replies

• As you have problems with the machines that previously had the connector installed, can you try to remove the folder "Windows Server" in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\" and the folder "Windows Server" in "C:\Program Files" before re-installing the connector software.

Good luck,

Luc.

Friday, January 20, 2012 3:50 PM
  • As you have problems with the machines that previously had the connector installed, can you try to remove the folder "Windows Server" in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\" and the folder "Windows Server" in "C:\Program Files" before re-installing the connector software.

Good luck,

Luc.

Luc, thanks for the reply.. I tried this on both machines and machine #1 continues to give me the same error. "An unexpected error has occurred. To resolve this issue, contact the person responsible for your network." Machine #2 actually starts to install the software and then I receive the following error message. "Windows Server Client Deployment Wizard has encountered a problem and needs to close"..
    Any other suggestions? 

• Edited by onedummy Friday, January 20, 2012 6:09 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 6:07 PM
  • As per my response on your other thread, as you are now talking WHS2011, have you looked at this:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3941.aspx

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, January 20, 2012 6:27 PM
  • Maybe that the logfiles in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs" will give you some more info. Especially the "ClientDeploy" logfile.

And if you are comfortable with Regedit you can try to remove all references to Windows Home Server before installing the connector.

Luc.

Friday, January 20, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Luc - thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the logfile on computer #1 and had the following error code.. Failed to save the windows logon user in registry: hr = 0x800706a6

based on this error code I found that I needed to start Terminal Services on the Client PC and then it installed with no problem. I have no idea how this was turned off or why...

Now back to the 2nd computer...

It is still giving me the following error message "Windows Server Client Deployment Wizard has encountered a problem and needs to close"  

This is the error message in the log file:

ClientSetup: !!!FATAL!!! Unhandled Exception: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException: External component has thrown an exception.

I don't know if this information tells what the problem is or not..

Phil - thanks for your direction as well..

Friday, January 20, 2012 7:31 PM
  • I uninstalled Net framework 4, deleted all home server folders and removed all home server listings in the registry thinking I could possibly have the computer connector re-install Net framework 4. Unfortunately I received the same errors while trying to install.

Here is my entire client log:

---------------------------------------------------------

[4592] 120120.164346.1406: ClientSetup: Start of ClientDeploy

[4592] 120120.164346.5312: General: Initializing...C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Client Deployment Files\ClientDeploy.exe

[4592] 120120.164346.5312: ClientSetup: Loading Wizard Data

[4592] 120120.164347.3281: ClientSetup: Current DeploymentStatus=Start

[4592] 120120.164351.1562: ClientSetup: !!!FATAL!!! Unhandled Exception: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException: External component has thrown an exception.

at System.Drawing.SafeNativeMethods.Gdip.GdipCreateFontFamilyFromName(String name, HandleRef fontCollection, IntPtr& FontFamily)

at System.Drawing.FontFamily.CreateFontFamily(String name, FontCollection fontCollection)

at System.Drawing.FontFamily..ctor(String name, Boolean createDefaultOnFail)

at System.Drawing.Font.Initialize(String familyName, Single emSize, FontStyle style, GraphicsUnit unit, Byte gdiCharSet, Boolean gdiVerticalFont)

at System.Drawing.Font..ctor(SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._SerializationInvoke(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, SignatureStruct& declaringTypeSig, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)

at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.CompleteISerializableObject(Object obj, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)

at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.FixupSpecialObject(ObjectHolder holder)

at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.DoFixups()

at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)

at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)

at System.Resources.ResourceReader.DeserializeObject(Int32 typeIndex)

at System.Resources.ResourceReader._LoadObjectV2(Int32 pos, ResourceTypeCode& typeCode)

at System.Resources.ResourceReader.LoadObjectV2(Int32 pos, ResourceTypeCode& typeCode)

at System.Resources.ResourceReader.LoadObject(Int32 pos)

at System.Resources.ResourceReader.ResourceEnumerator.get_Entry()

at System.Resources.ResourceReader.ResourceEnumerator.get_Current()

at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager.FillResources(CultureInfo culture, ResourceSet& resourceSet)

at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager.FillResources(CultureInfo culture, ResourceSet& resourceSet)

at System.ComponentModel.ComponentResourceManager.ApplyResources(Object value, String objectName, CultureInfo culture)

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Wizards.WizardForm.InitializeComponent()

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Wizards.WizardForm..ctor()

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ClientDeploy.ConnectorWizardForm..ctor()

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ClientDeploy.Program.Main()

Any other suggestions/comments on how to fix this are welcome. Thank you!

Friday, January 20, 2012 10:51 PM
  • I had the same problem, "An unexpected error has occurred. To resolve this issue, contact the person responsible for your network", connecting to Windows Server 2012 Essentials. I downloaded and started the Connection-Tool from Mozilla Firefox, and it brought up above error-message. WSS Certificate Service was started, and .Net Framework 4.5.2 was installed on the client machine (Windows 7 Home). So above hints did not help. 

What did help, was downloading and starting the Connect-Tool from Internet Explorer ....

• Proposed as answer by Jamo73 Wednesday, July 29, 2015 7:42 PM
    • Edited by Jamo73 Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:10 AM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 7:41 PM