none
MCSA, MCTS, and MCITP? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

I'm going for my MCSA certifications, and I had a couple questions about legacy exams and recertification.

1. Someone on the forums here said I can get my MCITP certs along with my MCSA if I test before January 31st, 2014. But GoCertify says I will get my MCTS along with my MCSA. Still Microsoft say's I will get my MCITP along with my MCSA if I test before July 31st, 2013. So which will I get, if any?

2. Are MCSA certifications permanent? microsoft.com/learning says that they are, but CompTIA told me the same thing before I found out that there was an expiration for A+, Network+, and Security+.

3. What is MCITP? According to GoCertify, it's being phased out, and according to Wikipedia, its been discontinued. So should I even care if I get it along with my MCSA?

Thanks for any help!

Saturday, August 10, 2013 4:11 PM

Answers

• It kinda begs the question...which certifications specifically are you looking to pursue? 

The MCITP and MCSA are simply designations for passing a specific group of MS cert exams.  Essentially, MCSA (and MCSE) only replaces the MCITP designation.  Nothing's changed as far as the cert exams you need to earn the designation.

Monday, August 12, 2013 1:29 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• It kinda begs the question...which certifications specifically are you looking to pursue? 

The MCITP and MCSA are simply designations for passing a specific group of MS cert exams.  Essentially, MCSA (and MCSE) only replaces the MCITP designation.  Nothing's changed as far as the cert exams you need to earn the designation.

Monday, August 12, 2013 1:29 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Charles!

I'm attempting to obtain my MCSA, for server, client, and database. I'm just not sure if the MCSA expires, or if I get MCITP or MCTS along with MCSA, and by which date I have to test for the MCSA to achieve the other cert.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:13 AM
  • 1. Someone on the forums here said I can get my MCITP certs along with my MCSA if I test before January 31st, 2014.

Depending on the particular certification, you may also pick up the MCITP if the required exams are completed before Jan 31, 2014. For example: the MCSA:Windows Server 2008 requires exams 640, 642, and 646. If you complete all three of those exams prior to Jan 31, 2014, you will also be credited with the MCITP:Server Administrator 2008.

But GoCertify says I will get my MCTS along with my MCSA.

The MCTS designation applies to each individual exam (in most cases), and is also available until Jan 31, 2014.

Still Microsoft say's I will get my MCITP along with my MCSA if I test before July 31st, 2013.

There was some confusion about the July 31, 2013 date vs the Jan 31, 2014 date, but inasmuch as July 31, 2013 has come and gone, it's pretty much moot now. If you can schedule the exam, it's not retired, and the certifications are automatically posted to your transcript based upon the exams completed.

The critical information to pay attention to is the EXAM retirement dates.

2. Are MCSA certifications permanent?

Yes. The MCSA is permanent. The MCSE and MCSM certifications will require recertification every three years. The MCSD will require recertification every two years.

3. What is MCITP?

MCITP (Microsoft Certificated IT Professional) is a legacy certification used for products created in the 2005-2008 time frame. It is being retired (Jan 31, 2014), but the certification is permanent.

So should I even care if I get it along with my MCSA?

Probably not. The background goes like this: Microsoft had issues with the use of the word "Engineer" in the original MCSEngineer certifications. Plus, they wanted to create a certification program that had recertification requirements. Ergo, the MCTS and MCITPs were created in 2005 with the release of SQL Server 2005. The recertification requirements never came about; and there were several "image" issues revolving around the attempt to abandon the well-known "MCSA" and "MCSE" acronyms. Thus, now, we have generation three of the Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) program, which reinstates the acronyms, with new definitions not using the word "engineer", and including the long-desired recertification requirements for the premium certifications.

Any MCITP earned during that time frame is either now completely obsolete (like my MCTS:SQL Server 2005) or is replacable with an equivalent modern MCSA (like the MCSA:Windows Server 2008 which "replaces" my MCITP:Server Administrator).

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Saturday, August 17, 2013 7:54 PM
  • Wow, thanks for all the great information, Lawrence! I may just study for the MCSA certs and start testing after January 31st. I don't see the point of having legacy/discontinued certifications on my transcript that will never go away.

Thanks for clearing up the issue with the dates as well! It definitely gave me a bit of insight about the history of MCP and why there are so many certifications.
    Monday, August 19, 2013 5:51 AM