using standard 2003 server w/ home server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

What would be the best way to use both standard 2003 server and WHS together?   before proceeding -I need a little advise to make sure I don't screw up anything- Would it be wise to install a few of the free security templates available for 2003 server?  Can I off load some of the task for WHS and hand them to 2003 server.  If so, where do I find that info?
    Friday, October 17, 2008 6:28 AM

Answers

• Can you explain why you would like to add Windows Server (2003 or 2008) to the mix? Windows Home Server should give you the functionality you need in your home; that's what it's designed to do, after all, and there really isn't a good way to "off-load" the functionality to other servers.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 17, 2008 4:24 PM

All replies

• Can you explain why you would like to add Windows Server (2003 or 2008) to the mix? Windows Home Server should give you the functionality you need in your home; that's what it's designed to do, after all, and there really isn't a good way to "off-load" the functionality to other servers.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 17, 2008 4:24 PM
  • I want to use 2003 server for e-mail and to present media to the web page quicker.  HP homeserver presents the pages way to slow and I can use the second machine to that (media, music and pictures) with it's faster processor and more memory.  Additionally, when a visitor goes to the contact page and tries to send a message to me -I never get it-.
    I know that part of the problem has to do with my broadband provider changing the ip address peroidically.
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 12:24 AM
  • To make this a little clearer for you after rethinking this.  The problem exist between Whiist and Web guide.  After you install Whiist  and then Webguide on my WHS machine -I get a lot of errors looking at the website-.  I want to use webguide locally and remotely and leave whiist to perform as photo website.  If that makes sense, but diving into the problem a little deeper I want to use another 2003 server to function as the website and email server.  Then use WHS as media server and backup files.  
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 10:31 PM