none
IE7 Window becoming Unresponsive Again RRS feed

• General discussion

• OK, IE7, window open several days, several tabs open to different sites.

The tab that is directed to forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/forums is completely non-responsive. No response to any keystroke, mouse click, button click, or refresh.

Change the url and substitute Expression for MSDN, or Technet for MSDN, and both work as expected.

Change the url and substitute Community for MSDN, and it is also non-responsive.

Change back and forth, and MSDN/Community will not respond in that IE7 Window. Open a new IE7 Window and it will work as expected.

I've been watching this for weeks, and it is not going away.
    Something is very screwy here.
    You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    Monday, March 31, 2008 8:42 PM

All replies

• Are you leaving the browser open on a single page, or are you navigating to different pages?
    Jeff Day, Community Platform GPM
    Monday, March 31, 2008 10:12 PM
  • Browser windows has tabs open to MSDN Forums both old and new, plus a Code.MSDN page, and perhaps another tab or two.

All are frequently used to navigate those sites. Nothing stands still for days. However, some of the tabs (sites) may 'rest' for several hours before being used again. Sometimes login expire and have to be re-logged in.

Then, at some time, I will attempt to use some feature on the new MSDN forum software, and that tab will be totally unresponsive. The other tabs (sites) will stil function as expected. The MSDN tab will NOT become responsive and must be completely closed. Opening another tab in that browser window also will not be responsive.

Only opening a new browser windows will regain full functionality to the site.
    You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 3:16 AM
  • Related to a thread you started a while back? http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/thread/ee72fe77-9d76-4aed-ac13-42eed0ff1ac4
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 1:58 PM
  • We have gotten feedback that IE has a general memory leak problem with AJAX updates on a single URL if you leave the browser open to a single URL for hour-after-hour.

Jeff Day, Community Platform GPM
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:18 PM
  • That is true. We have also made some changes in the forthcoming release to help with those issues by incrementally increasing the live update interval as a page is left open/unattended for long periods of time. While this wouldn't "fix" anything, it should help mitigate the issue for alot of cases.

We also plan on additional changes in future releases to help with the intelligence of the updates, being more selective about what and how things are updated.

Additionally, as I understand there are some overall improvements in IE8 which may help with the memory issues as well though I haven't had much of a chance to try much of that out yet.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:39 PM
  • Thanks for the information. I was hoping that it wasn't just all in my head ...

I had suspected Ajax...
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:46 PM