none
"My Threads" does not work on IE9 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Usually I access these forums with Firefox where everything works fine.  Now I just tried IE9 and while the forums mostly work, the "My Threads" list does not appear.  IE9 seems to load something when I click that link but the screen never updates.  Other stuff works, including my profile page, "My Alerts" and other lists, and posting this question.  Has anyone else encountered this problem?
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 12:09 PM

Answers

  • For the record I tried deleting my old Adobe Type 1 fonts and reinstalled IE9 once again, and now all the sites I had problems with work again, including the My Threads link.  Amazing.  So this was indeed the cause of all my trouble.
    Friday, October 7, 2011 2:26 PM

All replies

  • Well, after encountering numerous other problems with IE9 I decided to uninstall and revert to IE8, the default browser on my Windows 7 system.  Sure enough, both "My Threads" and all other nonfunctional sites are working fine again...

    Some of the errors were apparently triggered by IE9's inability to interpret CSS, by the way.  On some pages I'd get blank pages and even outright crashes; compatibility mode didn't help.  But when I turned off CSS in developer mode, the site contents finally came up (though obviously with broken formatting).

    I seem to recall that IE9 tried to improve standards compliance but whatever they tried evidently didn't work at all -- that browser is simply unusable.

    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 12:27 PM
  • Has anyone else encountered this problem?


    No.   IE9 is working fine in that regard.   Did you try using it in No Add-ons mode?


    ---

    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:19 PM
  • Not on this site, though I tried that (as well as resetting all preferences) on other sites that IE9 couldn't handle, with no results.  That wasn't surprising -- my list of add-ons is fairly standard (Acrobat, Flash, Quicktime, Silverlight, OneNote).  That aside, I can't quite imagine how an add-on might break My Threads but not My Alerts, or anything else on the same website.

    I'm running the 64-bit version of Windows 7, by the way, but the 32-bit version of IE9 and now IE8.


    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:16 PM
  • So the "My Threads" link in the right rail doesn't show up but "My Alerts" does? Can you include a screen shot?
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 3:56 PM
    Answerer
  • No, all the links show up... but the page in IE9 freezes when I click on the "My Threads" link, and never shows the "My Threads" page.  The other links show the expected page when I click on them.

    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 4:21 PM
  • We pushed out a minor hotfix today. Can you dump cache/history and try again? Also, can you verify this in some other browser (non MS)? And in IE can you try browsing in private mode, see if that does anything?  Sorry about all the suggestions, but this isn't easy to figure out yet.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 12:28 AM
    Answerer
  • Nope, still broken in IE9.  Firefox works fine as I said in my first post, and so does IE8.

    The fault lies most likely with IE9, not with the MSDN Forums website, so please don't feel obliged to push out more site updates.  Also, I will be unable to test any further updates because IE unfortunately does not allow side-by-side installations, and I'm now going back to IE8 for good.

    IE9 is apparently completely unable to render certain websites, no matter what settings I use.  If you want to poke the IE team please shoot them these links:

    http://www.i-programmer.info/ (totally broken, may actually crash the browser!)

    http://flashofsteel.com/ (looks as if it works in Compatibility mode, but the article text in the center is missing)

    http://www.dvorak.org/home.htm (a very simple XHTML page -- can IE9 not handle XHTML at all?)

    All of those appear fine in IE8 and Firefox (any version).  I don't have the Windows 8 preview, so I couldn't test them in IE10.

    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:31 AM
  • Holy moly.  Look what I just found in a recent blog post:

    http://oddballupdate.com/2011/08/13/internet-explorer-9-helvetica-type-1-and-you/

    IE9 page rendering breaks whenever a style sheet specifies an Adobe Type 1 font!!!

    Sure enough, just like the guy writing this post, I have a set of old AT1 fonts installed -- including the popular Helvetica.  I haven't tested this yet, but it's very likely this is the reason for these strange rendering failures that nobody can reproduce.

    Well, this sucks.  I don't have replacement copies of Helvetica in OTF at hand, so if I wanted to reinstall IE9 I'd have to delete the AT1 versions (and possibly other offending AT1 fonts) and simply hope I haven't used them in any of my documents.

    edit: Found one corroborating post in the IE web development forum and added a reply.  Doesn't seem like anyone on the IE team cares, though -- the original post is already four months old.

    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/iewebdevelopment/thread/6c12cdb5-dfad-49a0-a29e-8cb2e8b8c1c1



    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:10 AM
  • Interesting research! Hopefully will be seen by IE9 team.
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law


    My blog
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 1:21 PM
    Moderator
  • For the record I tried deleting my old Adobe Type 1 fonts and reinstalled IE9 once again, and now all the sites I had problems with work again, including the My Threads link.  Amazing.  So this was indeed the cause of all my trouble.
    Friday, October 7, 2011 2:26 PM