Can't install Vista Utimate Upgrade Edition over Vista Home Premium preinstall. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently purchase a laptop that came with a preinstalled copy of Windows Vista Home Premium German. I also purchased an upgrade edition of Windows Vista Ultimate English.

I'm trying to install/upgrade the existing preinstall with the Ultimate upgrade. Thus far nothing is working!

What I have tried:

Action: Boot from the upgrade CD to upgrade the operating system. Enter the code on the box.
    Result: Error message that there is an installation of Vista and upgrade needs to be run from within Windows to upgrade it.

Action: Boot to the existing operating system and insert CD and choose upgrade option.
    Result: Error message that the existing installation is of a different language then what I'm attempting to install, upgrade can not continue. I need to boot off the CD and select upgrade existing operating system.

Note the loop above (CD boot says install from the OS, OS install says install by starting from the CD)?!?!?!?

As I have Windows Vista Ultimate German full install version I used on my home computer, I tried using this and entering the upgrade key. I get the error message that the installation has aborted and I need to install a version of the Operating system newer then what I'm trying to install and then install the operating system from the CD! What the ____ is that, I'm trying to UPGRADE the existing Home Professional to Ultimate?

The upgrade edition I purchased states it is the upgrade edition for Windows 2000, Windows XP and ALL versions of Windows Vista, for both 32bit and 64bit (there are 2 discs in the box, one 32bit and one 64bit).

The preinstall is 32bit, and I'm trying to install the 32bit upgrade.

How can I install the upgrade (that clearly states it can be used for all version of Windows Vista, if it can't be used to upgrade the existing version because its German and the upgrade is English, there is a false advertising issue that MUST be addressed, since this is the upgrade for all versions of Vista, not all English versions of Vista)?

The laptop does not come with a recovery or install CD, rather it uses a hidden partition with the installation on this partition. Thus, I do not have a CD, nor do I have the manufactures drivers, software or utilities as these are all part of the preinstall on the hidden partition and not available on their web site for download. There no sticker on the casing or documentation containing the install code used that I can find, thus upgrading is the best solution to ensure all drivers and software are available. Laptop manufacture is Packard Bell.

Please explain how one can upgrade to Ultimate. The reason for this upgrading is to receive the additional tools, and have the display language in English (another words, the full version of the operating system verses the broken limited version). Microsoft, in their failed wisdom, decided that the end user of Home Premium (what is installed on virtually all laptops sold), can not change the default language, and the end user must purchase the full install or upgrade versions to receive the additional benefits; which I have done, and am not getting! This is becoming catastrophe. Something a trivial as upgrading, using the upgrade options provided, is not working, and I paid for this! I'm not, as yet, getting what I paid for.....

The MS hotline is useless in this regard; I'm hoping I'll receive assistance here.

Matt

Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Matt,
    I'm sorry you are having so many problems with upgrading your Windows Vista edition. Unfortunately, the moderators of this forum do not have the technical expertise to assist you. I recommend you visit the Windows Vista Support site. That site has links to the Windows Vista knowledgebase, and I believe there is also a support forum that you can access through that site.

Best regards,
    Jenifer

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:23 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Matt,
    I'm sorry you are having so many problems with upgrading your Windows Vista edition. Unfortunately, the moderators of this forum do not have the technical expertise to assist you. I recommend you visit the Windows Vista Support site. That site has links to the Windows Vista knowledgebase, and I believe there is also a support forum that you can access through that site.

Best regards,
    Jenifer

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:23 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:23 PM
  • Thanks Jenifer. I ended up posting in Microsoft Answers > Forums Home > Windows Vista > Install, Upgrade, and Activate.

The answer leaves much to be desired.... In essence I'm told there, that I can't install the upgrade version, because its English and the installed OS is in German, even though the upgrade is supposed to be for all versions of Vista. No where did it state upgrade for all English versions.

To top it off, I can't return the purchase because I broke the seal and opened the box (um, had to to get to the disc and code) (and in my frustration, trashed my proof of purchase receipt). The exchange offer on the MS web site (to exchange this disc for one I can use) is only for the US, and I'm in Germany. The laptop comes with SP1 preinstalled, and, after checking, I find that I can't uninstall it.

Now I'm sitting here with an upgrade version, that I can't return or use right now, even though I was told it would work, and the packaging presented misleading information, making one believe it would work to upgrade the existing system to Ultimate, irregardless of the language.

In all fairness to both MS and the end user, if the end user has a legitimate version, why not offer a download that would work, or the ability to upgrade the OS from within the OS, by entering a CD key, thus unlocking and installing the missing/remaining features, and save everyone allot of problems, it can't be that difficult to please the public in this regard. If it was offered I could have downloaded an Vista Ultimate Upgrade version with SP1, using the CD key for example, burn it, and then install it. But that's not even offered....

My research over the web shows there are allot of people complaining about issues like this, and issues where they simply want to change the language of the installed operating system (Vista Home Premium), to a different one, and are forced by MS to either accept what they have or buy a new version (is it any wonder people are not doing either, but still get the OS version they want?). I'm one of those that actually went the extra mile to buy an upgrade version, and can't even use it. Another words, I paid for something, I'm not even getting.

If you can provide me with any type of solution (example, download version or replacement other then what is on the side (per email perhaps)), I'd be grateful.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:04 PM
  • Hello Matt,

In North America Microsoft has a 45-day money back return policy as described here:  http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.mspx

I would suggest looking for the equivalent policy on the localized Microsoft German website.  Part of the return is to have a proof of purchase, which you have written you accidentally trashed.  Again, speaking from USA experience that may or may not apply in Germany, most retailers' Point of Sale systems can look up past transactions (if paid for by some sort of credit card, gift card, etc) and provide a duplicate receipt.  Doing this would at least get you your money back for an item you cannot use.

Another option would be to contact the laptop manufacturer's customer service to inquire if the model of laptop you purchased is sold by the manufacturer with either Vista HP English or better yet Vista Ult English.  If so, further inquire as to what it would take to get an OS Installation CD or Recovery CD for one of those versions of the laptop.  If you can get one of those DVDs that would get you where you want to be.

If none of that is going to work, are you still within the time limit for returning the laptop for a refund?  If so, that would get you your money back so that you can go forward and purchase a laptop that will better meet your needs, one with Vista HP English or Vista Ult English preinstalled.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:30 PM