Possible to use Sync Framework with Java server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

At first, I will explain the architecture of my
    client-server-application:
    - The client is developed with C# and the .NET Compact Framework for Windows Mobile in Microsoft Visual Studio 2005.
    - The server is developed with Java.

I have to send data (like text and pictures) from the server to the client. I don't want to sync the client with the server, only send data on demand. At the moment I'm using a multi-threaded socket-server listening for incoming requests. On every request from the client, the command (packaged in xml-structure) is parsed and data is sent back from server to client. But I need more features:
    - encryption
    - compression
    - automatically continuation of data transfer from the position the connection was lost (like ftp-resume)

Is the Microsoft Sync Framework the right framework for me? Can I use it to send data from the server to the client on demand?
    Is is possible to use Sync Framework on a java-based server?
    Or what would you recommend to me?

Thank you very much for your help!
    Peter Eddingh
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 12:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Peter

Microsoft Sync Framework is not what you are looking for, it seems to me that you are looking to enhance your client-server aplpication with a data transfer protocol that providers you with the features you mentioned (encryption, protection, etc).  Microsoft Sync Framework does not implement a protocol for data transfer.  Microsoft Sync Framework enables users to all sort of data synchronization solutions.

To learn more about what is Microsoft Sync Framework I invite you to visit our FAQ page at:

http://forums.microsoft.com/sync/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2398013&SiteID=75

In the case you still wanted to use Microsoft Sync Framework, both on your client and server machines would need to run the Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime.

Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena - MSFT

Saturday, November 15, 2008 1:32 AM