Wireless Computer in Network RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot find any reference to using a wireless computer in my network. I want to connect one of 3 computers in WHS to the network via my wireles/wired router. I want to be able to share,backup, etc. this computer. Can this be done???

All comments welcomed.

Tks

Jim

Monday, March 10, 2008 4:58 PM

All replies

• You can use most features of WHS with a wireless connection. You'r initial backup of a PC that will normally connect wirelessly should be with a wired connection (because it will take much less time, and won't fail due to a wireless signal issue). Wireless restoration using the Restore CD isn't supported, and won't work if you have any form of wireless security.
    Monday, March 10, 2008 5:27 PM
  • Im using Belkins Pre-N wireless on my network.

It does take a little longer to run the intial backup by wireless than my big PC which is hardwired to the router.

My middle PC lost the wireless signal and WHS noted it as a 'Failed Backup'. I just re-ran the backup and flag the failed backup for deletion during the next WHS housecleaning.

Monday, March 10, 2008 5:59 PM
  • I have 2 laptops connecting wirelessly, and no wired clients. The whs is wired to my router (Belkin pre-N). This setup works fine. Backups never fail (strong signal), and I'm able to stream and copy back/forth movies no problem. I do plan to hook up a htpc to my tv at some point and run wired gigabit between the whs and htpc. I'll run a gigabit line to the office desk at the same time for optional wired connection, but most likely the lappies will always run wireless. Go for it!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 2:54 PM
  • Many many thanks for the useful answer

Jim

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 3:30 PM
  • Many thanks for the info

Jim

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 3:31 PM
  • Many thanks

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 3:31 PM