Applicability of Microsoft Dynamics/Parature for Small Legal Practice RRS feed

• Question

• I hope this is an appropriate question for this group.  If not, let me know.

Let me give you a little background.  My future son-in-law is setting up his own law practice.  He is currently working in a big firm.  I am retired but worked in IT and software development so I am helping him.  He plans to setup a law practice that supports small and mid-range businesses that either don't have in-house counsel or don't have his expertise.  He is planning on 10-20 customers initially but it could grow.  He wants to use all the latest technology to give his customers a good experience and to lower his costs.  In searching for solutions I ran across Microsoft Dynamics and Parature.   The information always discusses how it handles large enterprises but little about how applicable it is in a case like this.

Some of the capabilities he wants is chat, email, VOIP, project tracking/reporting and document exchange/archival.  Later on he may want video conferencing.  He also wants to be able to interact with his phone.   You have probably dealt with lawyers more then I have so maybe you have some additional suggestions/recommendations.

I never did get any feel for the cost of Microsoft Dynamics/Parature so I don't know if it is cost effective for a case like this.

I would really like some feedback if Microsoft Dynamics/Parature would fit this scenario and any other suggestions you have.
    Friday, June 3, 2016 12:20 PM

Answers

• My daughter is currently in Law school, so I can relate. :)

Dynamics CRM is a good solution for working with clients, tracking contact information, etc., but I wouldn't necessarily pair it with Parature.  Parature is more of a knowledge management tool and may not be a good fit.

That being said, a better solution may be to research the new CRM Portals capability.  It would provide an out of the box marketing web site for the firm, combined with a portal to CRM data.  There is an azure/cloud hosted option so there would not be a need for any web site server maintenance, etc.

I would also investigate Office 365, either E3 or E5 licenses.  O365 has chat, email, Sharepoint for Documents, and much more.  Combine that with CRM licenses and the new CRM portals you have a pretty robust way to run the business.

Good luck!

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 1:57 PM