WHS V1 Drives constantly working RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP Data Vault X5110 that stores largely static files, mainly media. The drives seem to be constantly working despite no new files etc. I have turned off indexing, thinking that might be the cause but the drives seem to be constantly working. Can anyone tell me how to turnoff whatever processes are running constantly. I don't use backup as we run Linux desktop/laptops.

I use this machine as a simple file server for my media centres. And home share for my Linux desktops/laptops.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Tony

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 10:30 AM

All replies

• BUMP! I cannot seem to find the cause of this. It could be something to do with the storage balancing, but as most of the content is static only a few files / day changing then I would have thought that it would be very quick.

I think this is what is causing my drives to fail from overwork :(. I have installed process explorer, and left it open on the WHS desktop, since doing this it seems that the drives are quiet so maybe it is some kind of process that runs when the WHS is idle!

Any help appreciated.

Tony

Leaving process explorer open made no difference.

However after a lot of searching I setup a bat file to turn off and on the drive extender migrator service demigrator.exe, after turning this off WHAT AN AMAZING DIFFERENCE. I have it scheduled to switch on during the night and off during the day. Also solved my video play back issues.

Cheers

Tony

• Edited by Antonical Thursday, March 21, 2013 10:19 PM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 3:14 PM
  • The only process I can find that seems to be taxing the disks is demigrator.exe which seems to be running a lot of the time.

I read this article http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/12/09/guide-shutting-off-demigrator-exe-in-windows-home-server/

but am not sure this is the answer.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Tony

Thursday, March 21, 2013 3:57 PM