Problems with Adaptec 39320 SCSI Card RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am attempting to add an external tape drive to my WHS.  I have installed an Adaptec 39320 card in one of the PCI slots and the BIOS loads.  Also device manager sees the card but shows 2 yellow triangles against the device entries.  The OS will not load the drivers!!  It does not auto load a driver so i have tried using the internal drivers from the OS, I have also downloaded drivers from the Adaptec site and tried the drivers on the WHS recovery CD.  Nothing works!!!!?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 5:21 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    using SCSI and performing error diagnostics is not always easy. There are a few possibilities, what can go wrong:
    • PCI slot is shared already with some other ressource (try another slot)
    • termination of controller and attached tape drive must be set properly
    • controller and tape drive must have unique SCSI IDs
    • cable must be ok
    • compatibility of drivers
    While using tape drives in WHS is not supported, there is no reason, why it should not work. I have an Adaptec 2940UW with an attached DAT tape running without trouble.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 6:37 AM
  • Hi Olaf
    Thanks for reply.  I think everything is connected OK.
    • I have tried a different slot.
    • There is only one drive on the controller and it is terminated. Terminator came with the drive.
    • Controller ID is 7 (default) drive ID is 3 as suggested by the manual
    • I only have one cable but it is new so I have no reason to think it is faulty

The only thing I am not sure of is if I need a tape in the drive for the controller to see it, and advise on this?
    The problem seems to be with the drivers!! and I've tried all the ones I can find.
    I have a Rocket Raid Card running some of the SATA drives as JABOD could this be causing a problem?

Any ideas welcome.
    Thanks again for your reply.
    Jan

Friday, October 24, 2008 5:27 PM
  • Please make sure you're trying to load the correct drivers: Windows Server 2003 32 bit.

Please realize however that backing up your server (using a tape drive or anything else other than the server backup tool added with Power Pack 1) is unsupported. You can back up some parts of the server, but typically backup utilities will not be able to back up the contents of your server shares or your backup database (even though it may look like it succeeds). And you really need to get a full backup of the entire server if you expect to be able to restore it from the backup.

Personally, what I do is use robocopy to make a snapshot of my shares to an external drive. I have three drives, and rotate them off-site once a week. I don't worry about the backup database; if something happens to it I'll recreate it and move on.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 24, 2008 9:07 PM
  • Ken, thanks for the reply.  I have tried all the drivers I can find and none work. Please can you suggest other sources?
    Thanks
    Jan
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 12:09 PM
  • Adaptec has 4 models of that card; which one do you have?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 2:25 PM
  • Hi.  I think its the 39320-R version although my card only has one internal drive socket not two.  It has the solder points on the card for two sockets but only one is installed.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 2:44 PM
  • Can you install the card and the drive in another system (XP, Vista) and check, if you succeed there? Until now you cannot exclude, that one of the hardware components is broken ...
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 11:32 AM
  • I currently do not have another system that I can put the card in. I am building one in the next few weeks and will come back with a result.  Meanwhile if anyone has any other ideas as to drivers I'd be very grateful. The other hardware sees the card I just cannot install the drivers.
    Jan
    Monday, October 27, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Hi,

I notice that you say the Terminator came with the drive? If so, have you ensured that it's an  Ultra320/160 or Ultra2 type terminator, as a LVD device won't work correctly otherwise.

Also, what are you going to use the tape drive for on a WHS, as there is no software available from any of the major Backup providers which recognises the data layout.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, October 27, 2008 6:15 PM