Best practice to shutdown Exchange 2010 running with DAG RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. I am wondering if there are any best practice on shutting down the Exchange servers in DAG configuration. Currently we have 4 Exchange 2010 servers. 2 of them were running with the CAS role and running in WNLB.  Remaining 2 is running in DAG, both is hosting a copy of passive mailbox database for each other (eg: 3 active and 3 passive mailbox database on each of Exchange server).  We will move out from our current location, so I would like to know what is the best practice to shutdown the Exchange server in a DAG configuration.  Thank you.  
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Move all active database copies to one server(as below command), then, shutdown:
    Move-ActiveMailboxDatabase DB1 -ActivateOnServer MBX2 -MountDialOverride:Lossless 

Below is an resolved thread which has discuss a similar problem has yours, just for your reference:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/46086577-583e-4cd7-bd80-e90a9a97b7b6/safe-shutdown-exchange-2013-dag

Above are suggestions for you, your question is mainly about Exchange Server, and this is the forum about Windows Home Server, if there is any more concerns/questions, I would recommend you to post on Exchange Forum for official support:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?category=exchangeserver

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 27, 2015 9:08 AM
  • Hi Eva.  Thanks for the link.  Sorry for posting this thread in this forum; currently I've loss access to the Microsoft Partner forum due to account issue, so I can't post anything in the Exchange server forum till Microsoft restore the access.  Anyhow, this is my plan by utilizing the StartDagMaintenance powershell script:

1. Run the StartDAGMaintenance powershell script on either one of the DAG server (we have 2 of them) to make it a passive node; and the remaining node in the DAG will now act as the only active node in the DAG that hosts all the active mailbox database.  The one not running with any active mailboxes now become passive node in the DAG
    2. Shut down the passive node
    3. Then on the DAG node running with all the active mailbox database, stop all the Exchange services
    4. Then can shutdown this last DAG node (the active one)

Does this sounds good for you?  Thanks. 

Friday, November 27, 2015 2:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Move all active database copies to one server(as below command), then, shutdown:
    Move-ActiveMailboxDatabase DB1 -ActivateOnServer MBX2 -MountDialOverride:Lossless 

Below is an resolved thread which has discuss a similar problem has yours, just for your reference:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/46086577-583e-4cd7-bd80-e90a9a97b7b6/safe-shutdown-exchange-2013-dag

Above are suggestions for you, your question is mainly about Exchange Server, and this is the forum about Windows Home Server, if there is any more concerns/questions, I would recommend you to post on Exchange Forum for official support:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?category=exchangeserver

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 27, 2015 9:08 AM
  • Hi Eva.  Thanks for the link.  Sorry for posting this thread in this forum; currently I've loss access to the Microsoft Partner forum due to account issue, so I can't post anything in the Exchange server forum till Microsoft restore the access.  Anyhow, this is my plan by utilizing the StartDagMaintenance powershell script:

1. Run the StartDAGMaintenance powershell script on either one of the DAG server (we have 2 of them) to make it a passive node; and the remaining node in the DAG will now act as the only active node in the DAG that hosts all the active mailbox database.  The one not running with any active mailboxes now become passive node in the DAG
    2. Shut down the passive node
    3. Then on the DAG node running with all the active mailbox database, stop all the Exchange services
    4. Then can shutdown this last DAG node (the active one)

Does this sounds good for you?  Thanks. 

Friday, November 27, 2015 2:06 PM
  • Hi,

Your plan seems work. However, it is better to have a test before any changing in your production environment.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 7:42 AM