Lost of the backup catalog.... RRS feed

• Question

• During my weekly backup today, and after two successful backups without errors the previous weeks, the system opened a message box stating an error (without any useful information) and asking me to contact the tech support. I just dismissed the dialog, and tried to start the backup again. This time the system came up with the fact that I had no usable catalog on my system to do a backup and that it will need to restart it from the scratch (full backup). Somehow however, it did still have keep my file selection (I commented earlier on in another email how counter intuitive the selection process could be at a time).

I went through the selection screen again, and started checking what were the files selected, to see that the backup had extended my selections to some folders that had been added after I made the first full backup. This to some extend is good, except that it would be good to have a message when things like that occur stating that some folders have been selected for backup purpose and a question like Do you want to validate the choices made by the system? - This would have then allowed me to dismiss hundreds of files that would not need to be backed up (notably numerous documents of little or no importance that are already on a RAID-1 system), saving some time during the backup process.

Also, I did have an issue that was already signaled here several time, with the inability to select a type of extension you want to save, or to be able to select some files from whom the extensions are not available in the file selection dialog; I needed to save some configuration files, *.ini, not all but some as it may be very useful, an application can be reinstalled without any trouble, settings in a configuration file can take a little bit of time and if included in a backup would allow to minimize the downtime for the application... however it was not available. A quick look in the version 1.6 allowed me to check that selecting some files this way is possible (albeit not by adding a filter, but selecting the desired files in the targeted folders one by one (therefore prone to error)… but at least this functionality exists in 1.6.

On the side I am really wondering why so much changes have been added in the backup for he version 2.0. I sincerely hope that the beta we have today will not reach the public at any time. Yes it is really important to strike the proper balance for novices in the interface, but it should always be possible to tweak the backup for any “advanced” needs (if it even be considered as “advanced” to add a filter).

In my personal case, I moved to OneCare more than one year ago for the ease of use, and also because after 7+ years with the full Norton products, I found that those products were become bulky, expensive (Internet Security + System Works, time 3 computers each year even with renewal of subscription were more than 3 times what I have to pay now for a subscription). However what really drove me off Norton was the fact that years after years I had less and less control on the solution that was installed (and needed to spend at least few hours every other month with them to solve an issues on the phone about a problem in one update or other changes that occurred). It seems that after only one year, and for the second major update, OneCare will reach that critical mass (this was really well underline with the anomaly of MSMPEng; I posted on that earlier).

I am now considering moving my backups to the operating system instead of OneCare on for the version 2. And I am really afraid that when the version 2 will be release later on this year it will create mayhem on my other backups that are to this date working fine enough with the version 1.6. Also I hope that when such a move will occur, a procedure to upgrade backups from the version 1.6 to the version 2.0 will be in place (so a full backup will not be necessary).

Sunday, July 29, 2007 5:58 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the excellent feedback and sorry about the problem you encountered that caused the new full backup to be required. You may want to file a bug on that.

I, too, hope that we see interface and functionality changes before 2.0 goes live as some of the changes in 2.0 for backup appear to be a step backwards.

-steve

Monday, July 30, 2007 2:02 AM

All replies

• Thanks for the excellent feedback and sorry about the problem you encountered that caused the new full backup to be required. You may want to file a bug on that.

I, too, hope that we see interface and functionality changes before 2.0 goes live as some of the changes in 2.0 for backup appear to be a step backwards.

-steve

Monday, July 30, 2007 2:02 AM
  • I totally agree Stephen, 2.0 has taken many steps backwards. Some things they improved but, some of the most important things to help people get done what they want to do, they went back to the stone ages. In the meantime, their competition has moved forward and given the customers what they wanted.

While they have their logic as to why, they are not listening to the customers. They are so intent on trying ot protect us from ourselves that they are making it a total hassle to the more advanced users.

Monday, July 30, 2007 7:35 PM