none
Shares and Raid on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have not yet touched WHS, at all, but i'm about to begin.  

I have a rather large home peer-to-peer network , running a mix of XP-MCE, XPP(x86) SP3, and V-64 SP1, and have no problem with buying drives to suit my needs.  

As Ken writes in the RAID thread (thank you for the volumes of input btw) , RAIDing the boot partition isn't a particular concern for me, it's the data that will be going in . 

my Question is, since WHS doesn't natively support RAID , especially R-5 or R-6, is it possable to designate a shared  raid-5/6-array on an XP or Vista workstation as a  data or DE drive in WHS?

Sunday, February 1, 2009 7:13 PM

Answers

• Hi and welcome,

The WHS storage pool can only make use of drives that it has full control of, that is ones connected internally by IDE/SATA or externally bu USB/eSATA, network storage either on another computer or something like a NAS unit cannot be utilised. Note that some USB drives can cause problems with WHS, whether that's because they don't spin up fast enough, or the motherboard's ports don't initialise soon enough. In general, even though M/S say USB drives can be used, I would stear clear if at all possible.
    The Duplication function that is available for all Shared Folders in WHS is a version of RAID, insofar as it duplicates designated folders (not individual files), but it doesn't have to use identical or even similar drives. This Duplication doesn't extend to the Backups of your Clients, but there is an Add-In which can accomplish this if you feel the need, while there is also a built-in facility to make a further copy of your Shared Folders, (duplicated or not), to another drive outside the srtorage pool.
    Note that there is a limit of ten Client's that can be backed up by the server, but other computers can use the WHS's other facilities.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Hi,
    Windows Home Server supports a maximum of 2 TB per single physical disk (which would also apply to a RAID volume, which is seen as single disk).
    Btw. : RAID drives  make a server reinstall more difficult or even impossible.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 11:24 PM
  • yes, I understood the built-in duplication feature, and that it's a limited Raid-1 subset.

i'm looking more for the failover and rebuilding ability of a raid-5/6 system. 

I'm guessing my best bet then is a(n) Sata/E-SATA 1x4 or 1x8 raid-5 box with a built-in port multiplier , tapped off one of the mobo ports, then it would be transparent to WHS as a single drive.  

What is the largest single partition size WHS supports ? I know it's based on S2003 (x86), does that mean we hit the same partition-size ceiling ?

Thanks
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 8:39 PM

All replies

• Hi and welcome,

The WHS storage pool can only make use of drives that it has full control of, that is ones connected internally by IDE/SATA or externally bu USB/eSATA, network storage either on another computer or something like a NAS unit cannot be utilised. Note that some USB drives can cause problems with WHS, whether that's because they don't spin up fast enough, or the motherboard's ports don't initialise soon enough. In general, even though M/S say USB drives can be used, I would stear clear if at all possible.
    The Duplication function that is available for all Shared Folders in WHS is a version of RAID, insofar as it duplicates designated folders (not individual files), but it doesn't have to use identical or even similar drives. This Duplication doesn't extend to the Backups of your Clients, but there is an Add-In which can accomplish this if you feel the need, while there is also a built-in facility to make a further copy of your Shared Folders, (duplicated or not), to another drive outside the srtorage pool.
    Note that there is a limit of ten Client's that can be backed up by the server, but other computers can use the WHS's other facilities.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 7:45 PM
  • yes, I understood the built-in duplication feature, and that it's a limited Raid-1 subset.

i'm looking more for the failover and rebuilding ability of a raid-5/6 system. 

I'm guessing my best bet then is a(n) Sata/E-SATA 1x4 or 1x8 raid-5 box with a built-in port multiplier , tapped off one of the mobo ports, then it would be transparent to WHS as a single drive.  

What is the largest single partition size WHS supports ? I know it's based on S2003 (x86), does that mean we hit the same partition-size ceiling ?

Thanks
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 8:39 PM
  • Hi,
    Windows Home Server supports a maximum of 2 TB per single physical disk (which would also apply to a RAID volume, which is seen as single disk).
    Btw. : RAID drives  make a server reinstall more difficult or even impossible.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 11:24 PM