CRM2011 Organizations vs Business Units RRS feed

• Question

• In reading about BU's vs Organizations I am trying to think through how to setup a new install. Our company is International however CRM 2011 is just going to be rolled out to North America first for awhile.

North America is our biggest base with the international office almost being more like franchises.

So in that vein I lean towards making the International Offices a separate organization. They do have their own workflow processes but then I would have to have numerous different code bases.

but...If I do use organizations then the owner has to have an account on each organization and he has to switch between them. Further rollup reports for global perspective would have to hit multiple databases and reporting services would have access to each one....

So I'm back to thinking business units would be better. Also the international workflows are mostly similar to ours but there are differences. Probably not a show stopper in my mind as I believe I'll be able to code my workflows flexible enough to take different paths depending on the business unit if needed.

What other considerations / concerns might others have?

Thank You

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:26 AM

Answers

• Hi there,

Please review this document: Scalable Security Modeling with Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39095

This paper describes how security modeling features in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 for authorization work at scale, the implications associated with these features functioning at high volumes, and guidance on common and recommended usage patterns for modeling Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 security at scale, incorporating teams as appropriate.

Hope it helps.

• Marked as answer by zzpluralza Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:25 AM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:46 AM

All replies

• Hi there,

Please review this document: Scalable Security Modeling with Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39095

This paper describes how security modeling features in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 for authorization work at scale, the implications associated with these features functioning at high volumes, and guidance on common and recommended usage patterns for modeling Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 security at scale, incorporating teams as appropriate.

Hope it helps.

• Marked as answer by zzpluralza Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:25 AM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:46 AM
  • Yup on page 10 and it is answering all my questions. Thank You.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:25 AM