none
Visual studio 2013 downgrade 2008

Question

• Hello,

I have purchased visual 2013 pro in the expectation of beign able to downgrade it to run as anything lower. I need to develop a project using VS 2008 pro ( the last supported package for my device). I (mis?)understood that I could run 2008 with a key fo2 2013. is this possible?

My application works OK with a 2008 pro evaluation. Can I upgrade the evaluation to "non" evaluation using my 2013 pro key? Any help gratefully accepted. Thanks

• Edited by SC1960 Friday, November 28, 2014 2:44 PM
    • Moved by Caillen Sunday, December 7, 2014 6:46 AM
    Friday, November 28, 2014 1:11 PM

Answers

• If you buy a msdn sub then you have access to all the old versions - they're online and available for you to download.

If you buy a copy of visual studio ( only ) from some distributor then you have access to that disk only.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=13350

"

For Visual Studio Professional, the software included in the license is the current version of the software, Visual Studio Professional 2013, plus downgrade rights to simultaneously run prior versions of Visual Studio Professional to which you may otherwise have access.

"

I think that means if you happen to have a working copy of vs2008 kicking around on a machine then you can use it legally.  If you have an msdn account and download a copy of vs2008 then you're fine.

If someone else has an msdn account and downloads it for you to instal... maybe you're also fine.

Should that be the case then all you need is a way to get hold of a msdn downloaded copy of vs2008.

From a co worker for example.

If you go back a few years the wording was different.

I found this from a post 3 years ago:

"

Downgrade Rights

Downgrade rights, the ability to use an
    earlier version of the product that you’ve licensed in place of the licensed
    version, are generally irrelevant with MSDN subscriptions. MSDN subscribers
    already have access to prior software versions—many dating back more than a
    decade—which they are licensed to use simultaneously with the current version,
    and both the current and past versions of the software can be used on as many
    devices as needed. However, for Visual Studio individual development tools
    without MSDN—where the software included is limited to a specific version of
    Visual Studio—downgrade rights can provide the ability to use a prior version of
    that Visual Studio product.

Downgrade rights can be useful for MSDN
    subscribers when a version of a product is available through MSDN, but where a
    prior version is not. This may be the case for very old products like Windows
    2.0 (where later versions such as Windows 7 are available through MSDN), or for
    products that Microsoft is no longer able to distribute due to the terms of a
    settlement, such as with Visual Basic 5 or Windows 2000 Server. To use these
    products, you would need to already be in possession of the installation media
    and, if needed, the product key, or acquire the installation software through
    another means.

Microsoft provides downgrade rights for Visual Studio 2010
    individual development tools (including those offered with MSDN subscriptions)
    licensed through Volume Licensing, but not for retail purchases. See the
    Downgrade Products section of the Appendix for details.

"

That's saying if you have a retail version then you had no downgrade rights.

Hope that helps
    Please don't forget to upvote posts which you like and mark those which answer your question.

Friday, November 28, 2014 7:37 PM

All replies

• Why do you need to work on Visual Studio 2008? In 2013 you can still create solutions targeting earlier versions of .NET Framework so the projects will be still compatible.
    Friday, November 28, 2014 1:47 PM
  • @Mr Zator

I would guess maybe windows ce development.

Hope that helps
    Please don't forget to upvote posts which you like and mark those which answer your question.

Friday, November 28, 2014 2:11 PM
  • Hello and thank you for the repies Mr. O'Neil and Mr. Zator,

Yes the reply above is quite correct - its for a windows mobile 6.5. So any ideas welcome. That is apart from buying VS2008 :-) Thanks

Friday, November 28, 2014 2:38 PM
  • Check out this page. For me it is looks unclear but maybe you will know what is going on :-)
    Friday, November 28, 2014 3:29 PM
  • Thank you taking the time to reply. Yes, it is quite unclear. It looks painful to implement. To expend that much energy you need the support of management and I dont know that I have it.  Again thank you.

Friday, November 28, 2014 4:04 PM
  • I could try the free one, but it is for a commercial purpose and I have already purchased VS 2013 Pro. So, it does not seem right to do so.  Also believe but am not entirely sure, that the compact framework and symbol (now motorola) SDK needs a Visual Studio Pro XXX . Thanks for the idea though.

Friday, November 28, 2014 5:37 PM
  • If you buy a msdn sub then you have access to all the old versions - they're online and available for you to download.

If you buy a copy of visual studio ( only ) from some distributor then you have access to that disk only.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=13350

"

For Visual Studio Professional, the software included in the license is the current version of the software, Visual Studio Professional 2013, plus downgrade rights to simultaneously run prior versions of Visual Studio Professional to which you may otherwise have access.

"

I think that means if you happen to have a working copy of vs2008 kicking around on a machine then you can use it legally.  If you have an msdn account and download a copy of vs2008 then you're fine.

If someone else has an msdn account and downloads it for you to instal... maybe you're also fine.

Should that be the case then all you need is a way to get hold of a msdn downloaded copy of vs2008.

From a co worker for example.

If you go back a few years the wording was different.

I found this from a post 3 years ago:

"

Downgrade Rights

Downgrade rights, the ability to use an
    earlier version of the product that you’ve licensed in place of the licensed
    version, are generally irrelevant with MSDN subscriptions. MSDN subscribers
    already have access to prior software versions—many dating back more than a
    decade—which they are licensed to use simultaneously with the current version,
    and both the current and past versions of the software can be used on as many
    devices as needed. However, for Visual Studio individual development tools
    without MSDN—where the software included is limited to a specific version of
    Visual Studio—downgrade rights can provide the ability to use a prior version of
    that Visual Studio product.

Downgrade rights can be useful for MSDN
    subscribers when a version of a product is available through MSDN, but where a
    prior version is not. This may be the case for very old products like Windows
    2.0 (where later versions such as Windows 7 are available through MSDN), or for
    products that Microsoft is no longer able to distribute due to the terms of a
    settlement, such as with Visual Basic 5 or Windows 2000 Server. To use these
    products, you would need to already be in possession of the installation media
    and, if needed, the product key, or acquire the installation software through
    another means.

Microsoft provides downgrade rights for Visual Studio 2010
    individual development tools (including those offered with MSDN subscriptions)
    licensed through Volume Licensing, but not for retail purchases. See the
    Downgrade Products section of the Appendix for details.

"

That's saying if you have a retail version then you had no downgrade rights.

Hope that helps

Friday, November 28, 2014 7:37 PM
  • "I could try the free one, but it is for a commercial purpose ... "

You can use the Express versions to develop commercial applications.

Brent Spaulding | Access MVP

Friday, November 28, 2014 9:17 PM
  • I also have done Windows Mobile Work with VS2008. Unfortunately you cannot develop Mobile Applications with the Express Version, the IDE does not support the Mobile Target (You don't get everything for free). It seems that your only option is to get the Subscription or VS2008. You might try eBay to get a used version.
    Saturday, November 29, 2014 5:23 AM
  • Thank you for a most comprehensive reply and with clearly a lot of effort expended. The gist of your answer is that there is no right to downgrade. Damn. 

If you were in lincoln (uk) I could offer to buy you your preferred refreshment but I will have to make do with a thank you.

Monday, December 1, 2014 4:59 PM
  • Dear Mr. Spaulding now that was an unexpected but helpful reply. I will investigate further. Thank you.
    Monday, December 1, 2014 5:01 PM
  • Arggggh, just as I was getting hopeful. Now this. At least it stops me wasting too much time. Thanks...

Monday, December 1, 2014 5:03 PM