Client computer wake up/power down WHS when needed RRS feed

• General discussion

• This is my first time using the WHS forum... let me know if I posted it in inapprporiate forum.

Currently, I have Wake-On-Lan on each client computers to power up and shut down WHS, and sometimes, I accidently powered down WHS while another client is using WHS.  I prefer to use WHS when needed, not 24/7 to conserve energy. 

I am looking for a feature or Add-In in WHS that wakes WHS when users boot their client computers.  In addition, I would like a feature that scans all clients associated to WHS are powered down, and the remaining client powers down WHS when client computer is powered down? 

Monday, June 9, 2008 4:21 PM

All replies

• Hi, and welcome.

Here is a list of the available Add-Ins, which include a couple of WOL-type ones.

However, there are a couple of caveats: Windows Home Server performs numerous operations in it's free time, which you could well abort by shutting it down this way. Also, WOL is a very erratic function, although there are 'standards', there are quite a few flaky implementations and getting ALL computers to operate correctly each and every time is luck.

After saying that, PowerSwitch, (in the above list,) can shut down your server at selected times, which appears to be a better option.

Colin

Monday, June 9, 2008 4:31 PM
  • Thanks Colin.  I will look into Power Down add-in.
    Monday, June 9, 2008 11:27 PM